Working Out & Eating Like Never Before And Nothing

Options
Ok. Joined the gym end of March. I walk 3.5 miles in an hour and incline not below 7. This is more than I have ever down. I do some good weight lifting also. I have been eating good also. I am not exceeding calories. At my job, I get around 10,000-12,000 steps a day. Add that to my 3.5 mile walk. And working out. How am I not losing? Male 5 feet 8 inches and 230 pounds. I have nice arms and legs. Any ideas for a guy that needs to lose this guy?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your calorie intake? Eating healthy is all and good, but a calorie deficit is really important. Do you use a food scale? How do you calculate your calorie burned through exercise?
  • cfbfan41115
    cfbfan41115 Posts: 15 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I know it’s only an estimate on the treadmill and my steps tracker on my phone show calories burned. I weigh my food. I track my intake. Some say I am under eating. In a way, I get that but how do u build arms legs chest and back and lose the belly? Also, I wonder if my heart rate is too high?
  • cfbfan41115
    Options
    My meals look like:
    Breakfast: shake with unsweetened coconut milk, half avocado, teaspoon natural peanut butter, collagen, scoop protein powder
    Lunch: salad with spring mix, cucumbers, shredded cheese, and homemade Italian dressing
    Supper: chicken, salmon, pork, or steak with asparagus or cauliflower or squash or Brussels sprouts

I have not drank a soft drink in 3 and half years. I rarely drink tea and coffee and when I do, it has a trace of stevia.

Even if my regular walking and gym walking is burning 1,000 calories, there are other things that burn calories like breathing and whatever.

The crazy thing is when I did super strict keto, I lost 40 pounds and absolutely no exercise. None. Now, I am doing super low carb and exercising like crazy and nothing .
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Calories matter for weight loss. How many calories are you consuming and how many are you burning? Are you eating exercise calories? How many?
  • cfbfan41115
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I doubt that is muscle mass. Here’s the thing that puzzles me. I eat like instated above. Portion sizes are under control. I weigh what I eat. I get in about 10,000-12,000 steps a day at work which is about 5 miles at least which says about 600 calories burned. Then the 3.5 miles at the gym in one hour and that is another 500-600 calories burned. I know these are just estimates. Just want to get rid of the belly hanging over my belt. I know you can’t target fat loss. I will calculate calories as close as I can in a moment.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I doubt that is muscle mass. Here’s the thing that puzzles me. I eat like instated above. Portion sizes are under control. I weigh what I eat. I get in about 10,000-12,000 steps a day at work which is about 5 miles at least which says about 600 calories burned. Then the 3.5 miles at the gym in one hour and that is another 500-600 calories burned. I know these are just estimates. Just want to get rid of the belly hanging over my belt. I know you can’t target fat loss. I will calculate calories as close as I can in a moment.

And again, you eat how many calories a day?
  • WandRsmom
    WandRsmom Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    It sounds like you’re not tracking your calorie intake, given that many people have asked how many calories you eat per day and you have not responded.

If that is the case, then there’s your problem. Get a food scale and start using it to weigh all solid food.

This. This sounds like me awhile ago. Since actually weighing my food and tracking my calories the weight is coming off again. I was (am) very active and ate well, so I thought WTH? But I was in fact and quite surprisingly not in a deficit.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything on a food scale. Make sure your calories are accurate. Follow the guidelines MFP gives you.

I'd also add protein and a complex carb to lunch--just greens with a bit of italian dressing doesn't sound filling at all. Are you actually able to keep up that diet day in and day out without any binging? Hard to tell without amounts/calories but it looks super restrictive. I'd manage maybe 3 days before the secret eating at night would start cropping up.
  • cfbfan41115
    Options
    I want to thank you all. I have not tracked my food but have weighed it. Honestly, I eat probably less than I should for a 5 foot 8 inch tall guy with 230 pounds. My arms are decent, not huge, but not flabby at all. My legs, women have told me they wish they had my legs. Lol. My lower torso/belly is my major problem area. I will record my food tomorrow and the following days. I do try and stay away from carbs.

Many thanks again.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I want to thank you all. I have not tracked my food but have weighed it. Honestly, I eat probably less than I should for a 5 foot 8 inch tall guy with 230 pounds. My arms are decent, not huge, but not flabby at all. My legs, women have told me they wish they had my legs. Lol. My lower torso/belly is my major problem area. I will record my food tomorrow and the following days. I do try and stay away from carbs.

Many thanks again.

Nope, unless this is a very very new change, you likely eat far more than you'd need to to lose weight. Again, we're the same hight and I have been 230 pounds (I'm 182 as of this morning and would prefer to be 160 if not under that). Put your weight loss goals into MFP, have it set your calorie allotment, and follow it.
    Weigh your food, track it via MFP, and be patient. Also don't assume you need to stay away from anything unless you have an underlying medical condition or for whatever reason just don't eat that thing.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I’d bet money you’re eating more calories than you think you are.