Rice inquiry

LaSebaya19
LaSebaya19 Posts: 26 Member
edited May 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Hi everybody,
I'm having a brain fart & I need some clarity.. So, on the package it States: 1 serving of the (Dry) Rice yields 1/4 cup (49G). That serving serves 3/4 cup cooked.. When I have to weigh it out, Does that make each serving 147G ??? Thank You..

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Is the information on the package for dry (this is usually the case) or prepared?

Normally in the US a serving of rice is 2 oz (56 g) dry. If you make 4 servings (so 224 g dry) and the total prepared is 550 g, then you would have as your conversion 2.46 (550/224). Thus, if you eat 147 g prepared, you could divide it (in my example) by 2.46 to get the dry weight (60 g). Then to get calories you'd do the math to determine that you had 1.07 of a serving, and multiply by the calories (if 200/serving, then 214 cal, but in reality you'd just log 1.07 as the serving size).
  • LaSebaya19
    No, it means that if you cook 49g of dry rice, about 1/4 cup, it will make roughly 3/4 cup of cooked rice. It isn't exact, just an estimate. All you have to do is measure out 49g of dry rice and cook it. Whatever weight you end up with after cooking doesn't matter because you weighed it dry and know that it is exactly one serving. Unless you use butter/broth/etc. then you will have to add those calories additionally.

Thank You So Much for clearing this up for me. I was confusing myself but am glad you reached out and helped me out.. Thank YOU agian..😉😉
  • LaSebaya19
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Is the information on the package for dry (this is usually the case) or prepared?

Normally in the US a serving of rice is 2 oz (56 g) dry. If you make 4 servings (so 224 g dry) and the total prepared is 550 g, then you would have as your conversion 2.46 (550/224). Thus, if you eat 147 g prepared, you could divide it (in my example) by 2.46 to get the dry weight (60 g). Then to get calories you'd do the math to determine that you had 1.07 of a serving, and multiply by the calories (if 200/serving, then 214 cal, but in reality you'd just log 1.07 as the serving size).

Thank You responding but your explanation is way to difficult for me to even comprehend. Lol.. The information was for Dry Rice. I was confused on the measurements for the final weigh in.
  • lemurcat2
    Ah, I thought you wanted to know how to find the calories for a certain amount of cooked rice if you had calories for dry. It's simple, but maybe I didn't explain it well.

Just in case you were unclear, if the label is 1/4 cup (56 g), you use 56 g and ignore the cup amount if you are using a scale.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    I dont know why people bother with serving calculations. Cook up some rice and weigh what you are going to eat and use the per 100g calculations, so if you eat 150g say, then you put in 1.5 'servings' of 100g.
  • nooboots
    Anything you dont eat by the way, put in freezer bags in portion sizes of whatever a portion is for you, like 150g, and then freeze it in little bits.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    nooboots wrote: »
    I dont know why people bother with serving calculations. Cook up some rice and weigh what you are going to eat and use the per 100g calculations, so if you eat 150g say, then you put in 1.5 'servings' of 100g.

This would be inaccurate for me as I add extra water to my rice. Since water has no calories, my calories would be off. I always use the dry measurement.
  • LaSebaya19
    Ah, I thought you wanted to know how to find the calories for a certain amount of cooked rice if you had calories for dry. It's simple, but maybe I didn't explain it well.

Just in case you were unclear, if the label is 1/4 cup (56 g), you use 56 g and ignore the cup amount if you are using a scale.

Ohhh No I wasn't asking about the calories. I was confused on when that dry rice is cooked and then I have to weigh it on the scale, what the amount cooked I would weight out??
  • LaSebaya19
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    LaSebaya19 wrote: »
    Hi everybody,
    I'm having a brain fart & I need some clarity.. So, on the package it States: 1 serving of the (Dry) Rice yields 1/4 cup (49G). That serving serves 3/4 cup cooked.. When I have to weigh it out, Does that make each serving 147G ??? Thank You..

How many calories are in the water you cook it in? Add that much to what the pkg says.

Water has no calories. Lol.. All I was asking is that if the Rice dry is 1/4 cup(49Grams). How much do I weigh out on the scale for my meals??
  • LaSebaya19
    liz0269 wrote: »

This would be inaccurate for me as I add extra water to my rice. Since water has no calories, my calories would be off. I always use the dry measurement.

So, if dry its 49G then how much do I weight out ccooked for my meals??
  • LaSebaya19

But dry and cooked wont give you the same volume
  • LaSebaya19

The label says : 1/4 cup (49G) Dry.. when cooked it gives 3/4 cup.. when I weight out my meals how many grams should I make each meal since water increases the volume of the rice?? So I was asking what Gram amt should I measure each meal??
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited May 2019

The label says : 1/4 cup (49G) Dry.. when cooked it gives 3/4 cup.. when I weight out my meals how many grams should I make each meal since water increases the volume of the rice?? So I was asking what Gram amt should I measure each meal??

Rice can be logged as cooked or dried, just ensure you pick the correct entry. I prefer to log dry rice, because it's more accurate (depending on how you cook it, it may absorb less or more water than the cooked rice entry suggests).

To log it dry, weigh out the amount you want to eat (it doesn't HAVE to be 49 grams, but you can use that if you want), then log an entry that specifies dry or uncooked rice. Log the amount you weighed dry, before cooking, and disregard the weight and volume of the cooked product.

To log it cooked, weigh it after you cook and drain it. Search for an entry that states cooked, steamed, or boiled rice. Disregard the weight and volume of the raw product if you're doing it this way.

Note that since your packaging seems to indicate nutrition information for dry rice, it would make more sense to log it dry.

Edit: And to add to all that, if you want to know how much 49 grams of dry rice becomes after cooking, you're going to have to weigh 49 grams of dry rice, cook it, and then weigh it. Depending on your cooking method, the rice will weigh different amounts. If the nutrition information on the package is too difficult to understand, look for a USDA entry for either dry or cooked rice that allows you to use gram measurements and use that instead.
  • lemurcat2

That's what I was telling you how to do.

If you are making rice for just one, weigh it dry and ignore the cooked weight.

If you are making multiple servings, and want to be able to weigh your cooked weight, the most accurate way is to weigh the amount you add dry (say you add 245 g) and then the amount prepared (say you get 490 g). Based on this you could determine that prepared was 2x a dry serving (in reality it won't be a round number, you'd get something like 2.24 or whatever).

Then weigh your serving (perhaps 150 g) and divide by the difference between prepared and dry (150/2=75 g).

To know the total servings, you'd divide 75 g by 49 g, and log that many servings when you log.

If it's just plain rice and there's nothing else added, you could just find the USDA serving for the type of rice you are having, cooked, but the way I described above will be more accurate.
  • nooboots
    liz0269 wrote: »

Sorry I should have clarified, Im talking about the dry weight and dry calorie calculation. Then you cant go wrong.
  • nooboots

But dry and cooked wont give you the same volume

Of course not but if you have cooked up 100g of dry weight rice, then thats what you have eaten once its cooked (that would be a massive portion and you could probably split it into 3 over 3 meals), so in the log you put dry weight and dry calories of 100g and you put that you have eaten .3 of that for that meal (if you divided the cooked amount into three)