Fast Food

Options
2»

Replies

• sparkle43
    sparkle43 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

* Rotisserie chicken - delicious, high protein, cheap, can make multiple meals. I love that idea as I do too. In one store called food land less salt another grocery store is Loblaws in Canada it is way to salty. I eat the white hubby eates the brown. I make stir fry with peppers, all colors. mushrooms. And once in awhile I blot out the oil with paper towel while cooking. I use only a tad of olive oil. I prepare alot of food and also freeze it. I enjoy your blogs. I love McDonalds fish on a bun. And Wendys. Have a good day!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Subway is usually easy. I like the grilled chicken, but sometimes get whatever the special is. There's always the option of making it a salad. We eat Whataburger almost weekly, and I tend to order the grilled chicken melt, no bun, extra lettuce tomato pickles. I like Bill Miller's salad as well, with pickles, pico, and marinated onions.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,679 Member
    Options
    McDonald's:
    Vanilla cones. Advertised at 230 Cal. Usual serves are between 220 and 300 Cal based on past scale checks :wink:
    McDouble, add 3x red onions AND 3x slivered onions <crunch and, how shall we say it... staying power :lol: > about 400 Cal
    While I was actively losing weight I would even do a McDouble as above PLUS a round egg <about 475 Cal>
    Usually drink black coffee <10 Cal>, or diet pop <2 Cal> when there.
    Any of the egg mcMuffins (canadian bacon, side bacon, or sausage) depending on how hungry I am and how greasy I am willing to accept. usually with no butter for the muffin, and always add 3x red onions and 3x slivered onions.

Wendy's:
    Chili <no cheese though it is not a common option in Canada) <Usual serves are around 220 Cal plus 25 to 50 for crackers>
    Chili and plain baked potato (cost cutting since I don't use the sour cream anyway and pour the chili over the baked potato. Their baked potatoes clock in at around 240 to 300 Cal most of the time).

Tim Horton's
    Any of the regular size soups and/or the regular chili (a couple you have to be careful but most are reasonable in terms of calories), usually with whole wheat bun and one butter package (they are 5 grams in case you wonder and whipped butter so around 35 Cal each)
    Raisin or Cheese tea biscuit (scones) (250 to 280 Cal and 260 to 300 Cal based on past scale checks)

Starbuck's
    Spinach and Feta Egg White Wrap
    Strawberry yogurt scone

Those are MY "off the top of my head" go-to's to balance off prices in $'s and calories and satiation and satisfaction.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    McDonald's:
    Vanilla cones. Advertised at 230 Cal. Usual serves are between 220 and 300 Cal based on past scale checks :wink:
    McDouble, add 3x red onions AND 3x slivered onions <crunch and, how shall we say it... staying power :lol: > about 400 Cal
    While I was actively losing weight I would even do a McDouble as above PLUS a round egg <about 475 Cal>
    Usually drink black coffee <10 Cal>, or diet pop <2 Cal> when there.
    Any of the egg mcMuffins (canadian bacon, side bacon, or sausage) depending on how hungry I am and how greasy I am willing to accept. usually with no butter for the muffin, and always add 3x red onions and 3x slivered onions.

Wendy's:
    Chili <no cheese though it is not a common option in Canada) <Usual serves are around 220 Cal plus 25 to 50 for crackers>
    Chili and plain baked potato (cost cutting since I don't use the sour cream anyway and pour the chili over the baked potato. Their baked potatoes clock in at around 240 to 300 Cal most of the time).

Tim Horton's
    Any of the regular size soups and/or the regular chili (a couple you have to be careful but most are reasonable in terms of calories), usually with whole wheat bun and one butter package (they are 5 grams in case you wonder and whipped butter so around 35 Cal each)
    Raisin or Cheese tea biscuit (scones) (250 to 280 Cal and 260 to 300 Cal based on past scale checks)

Starbuck's
    Spinach and Feta Egg White Wrap
    Strawberry yogurt scone

Those are MY "off the top of my head" go-to's to balance off prices in $'s and calories and satiation and satisfaction.

I like a lot of these ideas. Gonna try a McDouble with round egg added next time I wind up there!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    zerocarbhealth.com/index.php/2017/06/24/zero-carb-ordering-from-mcdonalds/

This is how I do Keto when at McDonald's so I am doing staff training over and over it seems since some staff do not know they have an a la carte menu. Two 1/4 patties with 3 senior cups of regular coffee and half and half comes out to be $3.17 for typically 800 calories unless I drink more coffee at 120 calories per cup.

I do the round eggs and sausage from time to time but it most often is after 10:30 am before I eat there because I eat a huge high calorie breakfast at home with two pickled boiled eggs for starters. Well I often start with and end with full milk plain greek yogurt.

Many places have good chicken salads like Subway and Dairy Queen.
  • Sharod_BeastFit
    Sharod_BeastFit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No fast foods. High calories and high sodium. I'll be over my goal before the day is over with. 😒
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @sharbankst I am sure that would be the case for most but I have no numeric goals just health goals on keto and most fast food places today have workable keto friendly options that works well for my health goals but it does take some forethought even at a 5 star option.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Fast food doesn't have to be off limits, is how I see it. Because most of us are regular people on a budget and it's just a reality of life that sometimes you need an inexpensive meal on the go. I usually hit up Wendy's or McDonald's for a cheeseburger, plain, no bun. Wendy's also does good salads. If you're on the East Coast, the best premade salad I ever had in my life came from Wawa (gas station/convenience store). $5.59 and it comes in its own very generous plastic bowl, with several varieties to choose from and it's always fresh.

In Oklahoma, 7-11 has good salads and fresh tea.
  • Sharod_BeastFit
    Sharod_BeastFit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @sharbankst I am sure that would be the case for most but I have no numeric goals just health goals on keto and most fast food places today have workable keto friendly options that works well for my health goals but it does take some forethought even at a 5 star option.

I have to learn about the Keto. I have heard that often.
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If I didn't prep and I'm eating "healthy, I go to McDonalds getting the bacon ranch grilled chicken salad with extra grilled chicken with a parfait. 🤤
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    sharbankst wrote: »

I have to learn about the Keto. I have heard that often.

In a nutshell Keto is just keeping carbs 50 grams or less daily. After being Keto going on 5 years I am just learning what makes it tick. It seems to be good for the gut microbiome for some people.

https://hvmn.com/podcast/gut-microbiome-research-roundup

While the ketones may be of some value today we are learning mental and physical health is often a factor of the quality of our gut microbiome and that seems to be dependent on our macros more than our calorie count based on my personal experience since Oct 2014. There is no one way to do Keto but sugar it seemed in my case skewed my gut microbiome in a direction that was negative for my health for the prior 40 years triggering my Ankylosing Spondylitis back then since it is starting to reverse a bit over the past 4 years on the Keto Way Of Eating.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    On the way to a concert last week I picked up the grilled chicken nuggets from Chick-fil-A w/ 1 side of buffalo sauce. Crazy healthy and yummy. And a side salad with lite dressing. Lots of protein. Whole dinner was under 350 calories.