Water fast

I’m thinking of doing a water fast to help myself heal and reset my body. Is anyone willing to do it with me to keep each other motivated? I’ve only been able to do 16:8 and 20:4 intermetent fasting.

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Unless I'm very mistaken, healing requires energy, which is provided by food. How does starving help you heal?

Resetting is not needed. You are a biological being, not a computer. There are no factory defaults for human bodies. You can't turn you off and on again. Just gotta work with what you have.

If you think a water fast will help you feel better, go for it. But if you can't do it without support because it will cause you to suffer, maybe just don't.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    I personally feel a lot of the fasting stuff that's in vogue just now is disordered eating packaged into a different set of key words. I mean, 16:8 I can understand--I do that sometimes just because I'm not hungry until 12 or 1 and I tend not to eat just before bed. But as others have said, the liver detoxes. The body itself doesn't realise you're doing a fast for whatever reason. It's just going to think you're starving and be even more food fixated, and it can set you up for a binge down the line.

I once did a 50 hour water fast when I had severe anorexia as a teen. I didn't feel great or healed. I felt freaking terrible and nearly fainted.

I'd speak to your doctor first, but I doubt many doctors will endorse a water fast for that length of time.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    In general water fasts are considered unhealthy dieting and their promotion is not permitted on these boards.
  • aejikwon
    aejikwon Posts: 3 Member
    I’m sorry. I did some research and I heard people do these water fasts to promote autophagy. But you’re right, the liver does detox on its own.