Beginner runner

Options
13»

Replies

• BradsInnerFire
    BradsInnerFire Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Liz is correct. I am an Endurance Coach and have been training new runners for almost a decade now. The issue most beginning runners have is their perception of running. Running does not have to be fast. As a matter of fact, I have a course I teach called Zero-to-5k and all the running in the course is done at a "conversational pace". I consistently tell my students, if you cannot talk or sing, you are running too fast. The issue is not strength at all. It is pure cardiovascular endurance. The problem is it is nearly impossible to create endurance without oxygen. If you are not breathing, then you are not getting the oxygen needed to build endurance. That is why I am constantly telling my students about running at a conversational pace. If you can talk you are breathing. Endurance is earned, speed is a gift. It is usually a gift of spending so much time running at a conversational pace.
  • LoKoMi
    LoKoMi Posts: 51 Member
    Options

lybarni wrote: »
    @laceygaywilson well I’m in Pennsylvania! I would love it!! I have no one to run with me either! I’m focusing on a race in October. I have to be ready by then don’t you think????

Any chance you’re in SW PA?

Do you have a particular race in mind? I haven’t run since my high school gym teacher made me, but I’ve been doing C25K on the elliptical at the Y
  • lybarni
    lybarni Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @LoKoMi I’m looking st the great pumpkin race. I live right outside Allentown which is about and hour north of Philadelphia. I haven’t run since high school either! Which is why I don’t know where this sudden urge to run had come from!! Lol but I’m determined!!!

• lybarni
    lybarni Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @BradsInnerFire thanks for the input. I’m taking it slow. Not going too fast. Right now I decided to start over with week one. I can talk ok I don’t get winded, my legs get tired. Maybe that’s a sign im going too fast too? I try to walk (I’m doing this on the treadmill) at a 2.8 and then jog at like a 3.5. Which is manageable. But can’t seem to complete all of my intervals because my legs get tired. I just attributed it to them not being strong enough but maybe I need to slow it down. Thanks for your help!