Best and worst habits you've learned??

Options
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I need to lose at least 15kg and certainly have that goal in my mind. However I've read a lot about habit formation and have read about how changing your habits will have more lasting effects on weightloss than just dieting for a set amount of time to lose a set amount of kilos/pounds.

SO!!! I want to know, which habits have you formed to help with your weightloss and which have not been so useful?

I'm trying to swap out food for alcohol which will probably see a temporary weight gain but I know in the longer-term has worked in the past for me and makes me feel loads better. Cutting coffee has also helped me reduce anxiety and the urge to eat/drink. Now I'm working on just eating more veggies and drinking more water.

What are your habits, good, bad, tried, failed???

Replies

• janinemharris
    janinemharris Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Awesome stuff guys!!
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I think my worst habit is wanting to eat most of my calories at dinner, so I'm relying on protein shakes/bars for lunch to save calories and breakfast has been limited to coffee with flavored cream. This gives me 800-1000 calories to spend at dinner. If I don't eat all of my calories at dinner, I wait an hour or two and have a snack--usually nuts, dates, dried fruit and/or a piece of cheese.

I haven't given anything up, but I do consume less alcohol and try to hit my macros for optimal nutrition on most days.
  • purwonder
    purwonder Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started IF 16:8, so late night eating is gone. I no longer have heartburn or acid reflux. If I get hungry, I drink psyllium husk powder or Metamucil to get rid of the hunger and increase my daily fiber intake.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I found fitness activities that I love so I look forward to exercising. In fact, cycling is kind of taking over my life. lol

I eat the same things for breakfast and lunch. High protein and high fiber. That gives me flexibility with dinner. Protein is the biggie for controlling my appetite.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    One of my best habits is having a small but satisfying breakfast. Usually between 180-250 calories. Keeps me on track for the day so I have more wiggle room in my lunch and dinner meals. I know some people prefer to snack or eat mini meals all day but I REALLY prefer a larger lunch and dinner.

Worst habit I try to avoid is drinking my calories. I'm a weirdly fast drinker, which is great when it comes to water because I can get a lot in each day. But I will also drink 24oz of milk like it's nothing and that's a ton of calories...so I avoid drinking "calorie laden" beverages. For me it's easy to fall back into old, bad habits like getting lattes...even skinny lattes are usually around 100-200 calories I do not need since I drink them in 2-3 minutes and barely remember the flavor!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    1) sitting down once a week and planning all meals for the week then shopping to have all the ingredients to cook on hand.
    2) eating out only for special occasions
    3) developing a regular workout routine and sticking to it
    4) having a protein bar or handful of nuts in a baggie with me ANYWHERE I go so I always have a snack on hand
    5) cooking extra food and freezing it for those times I come home late and and need to eat NOW (instead of grabbing fast food, pizza or something to go)
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My best habit is my meticulous logging. I log nearly everything I eat down to the gram. Many people in my family think it's obsessive or silly, but it helps me a ton and it's become part of my daily routine now.

My worst habit would have to be saving the majority of my calories until the evening. I'll eat under 500 calories all day and then eat until I am stuffed later. Though I stay within my calorie range, I think I need to work on the reasoning behind why I must be super full in order to be content.
  • achagpar
    achagpar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    1) weigh daily
    2) track/log everything
    3) plan to go to the gym — like make an appointment on your calendar and keep it; my secretary knows not to book over these appointments with other meetings
    4) try to drink 8 glasses of water a day
    5) make good choices at the grocery store — if you don’t buy crap and bring it home, you’re less likely to eat it
    6) read — signing on to MFP and reading blogs and discussions has been helpful
    7) be mindful about eating — this goes back to #2 but pay attention to your body’s hunger cues so you don’t eat mindlessly when you’re not hungry and regret it later. If you’re going out to eat, try to look at the menu in advance and check the calorie count of what you would order... I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been surprised that a single dish is more calories than my daily allotment so it’s good to know this in advance and plan accordingly
    8) love and take care of yourself— be your best you; this means you don’t beat yourself up if the scale moves in the wrong direction once or twice; remember this is about improving your overall health and well-being
    9) incorporate strength training into your exercise routine. I aim for cardio at least 5-6x/week and weights 2-3x/week
    10) do what’s fun! Exercise shouldn’t be torture — if it is, you won’t stick with it. So find what works for you. Personally, I love Zumba but others may love hard core boot camp. The same applies for everything — figure out what works for you. Remember you’re trying to develop habits for life so form ones you enjoy so you’re most likely to keep them.

Best of luck! You’ve got this!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,629 Member
    Options
    I've developed a handful of good habits.

1. Changing my diet. I've added more protein, I used to eat very little of it. I've drastically increased my fruit and vegetable consumption. I just joined a produce delivery service and am excited to get my first box! I used to get one from a local farm and loved it!

2. Making a habit of using my exercise bike most days. It's great for me physically and mentally.

3. Weighing every day.

Habit I need to work on:

1. Breaking my habit of buying a cold brewed coffee. I add cream to it and it isn't worth the price and calories. I borrowed a home cold brew kit as I can make calories lower and it's brewing right now.

2. I need to lower my sugar consumption. I'm T2D and while most my sugar comes from my apple and yogurt, I do like coffee cream and light ice cream. I'm planning on trying soy or cashew milk with a Splenda once I run out of cream. I need to start making my own yogurt again. There's always Yonanas for making frozen fruit "ice cream", I'll have to see if I can still get one.

3. Not doing strength training. I ordered a book that was recommended here on weight lifting yesterday. My goal for the week is to stop being intimidated by the gym and go at least once this week. I have a routine from when I was in physical therapy that I can do until I get the book.

It helped to write this out to see in black and white, thanks for starting this!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    1) track & log food daily
    2) log weight regularly
    3) consume at least 30 g protein with each regular meal
    4) mostly eat food that my grandmother (born in late 1800s) would recognize
    5) maintain reasonable level of daily activity outside of any scheduled exercise

ETA: this is all "best habits" which mostly undid all the "worst habits"

When I add regular weight-lifting to the above, I am golden.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Great idea for a thread, @janinemharris.

Good habits:

1) Weighing food whenever possible. That also helps me estimate quantities when weighing is not feasible. And logging everything.

2) Weighing myself everyday and using a trending app. Gives me the long view and keeps me on track.

3) Keeping plan friendly foods on hand at all times - including in a cooler in the car - keeps me out of the fast food joints and convenience stores.

4) Cutting way back on beer consumption. I miss it, but the weight loss is worth

Recent bad habit: skipping workouts and walks.

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    If I'm in the kitchen, my phone is with me, so I don't forget to log anything.

Enormous jar full of my favorite chocolate sits in a corner out of sight. I get one or two. A habit of regular chocolate has really helped the random intense cravings for ALL the chocolate.

Water flavor drops everywhere so I don't have an excuse to not drink water.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Good habits:
    1. walk everyday (this is as much for stress relief and a break, as it is for exercise)
    2. Morning HIIT or strength workouts
    3. have a cup of tea instead of a sweet snack
    4. Try to have veggies with every meal
    5. Garden. Provides me with lots of fresh veggies and gets me outside daily.

Habits to revitalize
    1. Consistently tracking calorie intake
    2. Avoid the kitchen when not meal time or to prep a meal (I have a bad habit of killing time on my phone while mindlessly snacking from the cupboard)
    3. Meal plan and grocery shop with a plan
    4. Practice piano (helps to keep me out of the kitchen mindlessly snacking)!

Years ago I suffered an infection that left me immobile for some time. I promised I would never take my mobility for granted again. I walk daily, rain or shine, usually in the evenings or on my lunch break. It is very much a habit now and notice that I get restless without a walk!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,629 Member
    Options
    carakirkey wrote: »
    Good habits:
    1. walk everyday (this is as much for stress relief and a break, as it is for exercise)
    2. Morning HIIT or strength workouts
    3. have a cup of tea instead of a sweet snack
    4. Try to have veggies with every meal
    5. Garden. Provides me with lots of fresh veggies and gets me outside daily.

Habits to revitalize
    1. Consistently tracking calorie intake
    2. Avoid the kitchen when not meal time or to prep a meal (I have a bad habit of killing time on my phone while mindlessly snacking from the cupboard)
    3. Meal plan and grocery shop with a plan
    4. Practice piano (helps to keep me out of the kitchen mindlessly snacking)!

Years ago I suffered an infection that left me immobile for some time. I promised I would never take my mobility for granted again. I walk daily, rain or shine, usually in the evenings or on my lunch break. It is very much a habit now and notice that I get restless without a walk!

I was bedridden for a long time and know what you mean about not taking your mobility for granted anymore. Pretty amazing to be doing HIIT and strength training! I'm so grateful for what I can do now.
  • janinemharris
    janinemharris Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Lol @carakirkey I am a classical musician so know what you mean about practising

Thank you so much for your comments!! I'm trying to swap out food for alcohol and slipped up today as I Just. Wasn't. Hungry. But progress not perfection, right? And .staying somewhere without all my exercise gear so I can't do that ATM which I find really frustrating.

Logging is an awesome habit, I'm so glad I do this now but I think I will also try avoid the kitchen too now, lol

Keep 'em coming! I LOVE knowing I'm not alone in this.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    1) Keeping the same sleep/wake cycle (even on work days, off days, weekends, holidays, etc.). Probably my best habit

2) Ability to be consistent in terms of kcal intake and purposeful exercise (not NEAT necessarily - too many variable factors to stay consistent with)

3) Mind tricks - making "boring" LISS cardio fun by always giving myself reading material, participating in live online continuing education lectures, having music to listen to reviewing notes/articles while on the "dread"-mill/stair stepper, etc. I've honed this skill for going on 20+ years & makes multitasking seem like a breeze

*Working on trying to drink more water (my Blood Urea Nitrogen is consistently borderline high); easier said than done. Trying to incorporate in more "superfoods"/micronutrient dense foods/foods with potential benefits (even if not 100% backed by science yet) - mainly stuff like blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, turmeric, etc.

Worst habit: eating too quickly in front of computer/watching videos/entertainment (I am still cognizant of my kcal intake & know when to stop but my pace of intake is faster than I'd like)