I did the walk of shame today.

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
Setting your tires up without tubes means they need a tight seal with the rims. There's a trade off between security and ease of changing a flat. I had the shop set them up for me when I bought them, and based on what the mechanic wanted me to know about how tormenting it was to get the tire on, I've paid for maintenance.

Today I got a puncture in the middle of nowhere, a gravel road where cell phones don't even work in the nearest town. I tried to fix it but couldn't get the tire off the rim. I tried swearing at it.

I remembered dinner movies where hell is you experiencing your worst memory in as loop, and suddenly it made sense, I was dead, this tire was never coming off. So I started walking.

And some country folk rescued me after a few miles. They were going into town anyway, and noticed that cyclists don't usually walk bikes down hills. So they took me (and my bike) back to my car, and I can deal with the tire at my leisure.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    We've all been there......mine was closer to home when a sidewall went (had a tube, CO2 etc but that wasn't going to help) I only had 3 km to walk but had to do it in front of people who I saw regularly along the paths (including at least one other tri club member).
  • AlmostRandomUserName
    AlmostRandomUserName Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Dynaplug (amongst others) make some kits which should, unless it's a tear rather than a hole, allow you to fix a tubeless without removing it.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Well at least you didn't have to go far. I once left home without repacking my repair kit stuff, and got a flat a few miles out. Since I was close enough, I jogged the bike home and actually managed a decent pace. Except for catching a pedal in the shin once or twice kind of killing the joy, I at least still got a workout in.

In hindsight, I was glad I was close to home.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sorry that happened to you . Glad some friendly folks came by!