My struggle with weight gain

Hello everyone, hope you are healthy and happy,

I am 24 years old, I weigh 99 lbs (45 kgs) which is considered way too underweight compared to my 5'3 height, I struggle everyday with people's negativity, and criticism, they all keep saying you should eat more, sleep more, etc... But the thing is I know I eat enough, I sleep well, I had medical check ups, I am fine, but I sometimes feel so pressured into gaining weight and having my old body weight back, I used to be so healthy and had a good body weight. But people are always going to be the same, their hate comments got me each time, and honestly now, I started my gaining weight/muscle journey three days ago, not for anyone's pleasure, or to shut them up, but for myself, I want to feel healthy again, I have been underweight for over 5 years, which is so depressing. I just wanted to share my story with you, so if you are struggling like me you would know you aren't alone :) love yourself no matter what, that is the mantra I am trying to chant each time I hear them haters. Love yourself <3

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    The good news is that you don't have too far to go to get out of the woods. 5lbs will put you in the normal range. You can totally do this! Peanut butter and ice cream are your friends. :wink:
  • KoukieNina8
    KoukieNina8 Posts: 5 Member
    Ahh, how I miss that simple ‘peanut butter’ reply.

As @mom23mangos said you don’t have far to go. A drop more oil when cooking, a slight increase in portion sizes, and a couple of scoops of ice cream or spoons of pb, will get you there.

Not a fan of pb or ice cream, I would go for a huge oatmeal and raisin cookie with my coffee each evening. 250cals right there >:)

Cheers, h.

I agree hahaha 😂 thank you
  • KoukieNina8
    The good news is that you don't have too far to go to get out of the woods. 5lbs will put you in the normal range. You can totally do this! Peanut butter and ice cream are your friends. :wink:

Thank you for cheering me up, I think it needs dedication, my meals tend to have at max 700 calories which aren't enough, tbese days I am increasing the calories with peanut butter and nutella, 😂
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
  • KoukieNina8
    i feel you girl, i’m 5’6 and currently weighing 46kg so yeah totally underweight, aand i’m Brazilian from Rio de Janeiro, where people are obsessed with fitness and toned beach bodies with massive thighs. i’ve always been skinny and lately skinnier than ever and i’m always getting remarks about how i should eat more and that i look unhealthy. ppl don’t realize it’s mean - they don’t go telling people “wow, you’re so fat” - why do the opposite to the skinny ppl?

I know right! And the thing is they don't know how hard it is to gain weight, God helps me I hate it when people say you should eat more 😡 I mean I eat enough and that is my appetite, it's not like I do not know that I should eat more. Anyway, thanks for your encouragement 😊 let's keep tracking our calories hahaha more chocolate and peanut butter.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited May 2019
    A lot of good advice above, I just want to wish you luck and to say I've been where you are, including all the hateful comments (at least, they often feel hateful) I was underweight for years and never thought I'd gain but with the help of mfp, accurate food logging and a bit of education and letting go of a few myths (eg you have to eat 3 large meals a day, you have to eat clean, etc) I was able to gain 10 kgs. I'm now 128 lbs which at my height (5'3) is fine. I'm now in maintenance which I'm actually finding harder but that's another story. All the best!

Edit to add : one thing that helps me is to start early in the day - I find if I eat a late breakfast it's harder to catch up.
  • KoukieNina8
    A lot of good advice above, I just want to wish you luck and to say I've been where you are, including all the hateful comments (at least, they often feel hateful) I was underweight for years and never thought I'd gain but with the help of mfp, accurate food logging and a bit of education and letting go of a few myths (eg you have to eat 3 large meals a day, you have to eat clean, etc) I was able to gain 10 kgs. I'm now 128 lbs which at my height (5'3) is fine. I'm now in maintenance which I'm actually finding harder but that's another story. All the best!

Edit to add : one thing that helps me is to start early in the day - I find if I eat a late breakfast it's harder to catch up.

Thank you so much, you inspired me, gaining 10 kgs is what I am aiming for 😊 💖