IM DESPERATE-HELP!!!! :(

Options
martinakeriakos
martinakeriakos Posts: 2 Member
edited May 2019 in Introduce Yourself
I have been strangely gaining weight! And I am.not sure why....I'm not even joking when I say I am watching what I eat. I have cut sugar out completely, pop, some bread and I just keep gaining instead or stay at the 178 mark 😤😭. I work full time and after work my hands are completely full with taking care of my parents and then heading home taking care of mine. So I am exhausted everyday and have no time for me. What do you suggest I do? Lol I know you just added me and I'm giving you an earful but I am truly desperate for help and am the heaviest I have ever been!!!!

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Gaining weight over what time period? It honestly doesn't matter if a person cuts out sugar and bread if they are still eating more calories than their body needs. However, water weight fluctuations are very common and can often mask weight loss or result in a bigger number on the scale, even if we are in a calorie deficit. Also, when a person is under a great deal of stress, excess cortisol can affect the number on the scale. Aside from addressing your stress levels, it's a matter of making sure you are eating the correct number of calories for weight loss (however you choose to do this), and staying consistent over a long period of time.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    What directly affects weight loss/gain is calories, not specific foods. So it's possible you are still eating too many calories. It looks like you've just started logging, so I'd suggest you commit to logging for a few weeks to see how many calories you are really eating.

Also, weight loss isn't linear. Even if you do everything perfect, there will still be weeks where you don't lose or you even gain weight on the scale, usually due to water weight or digestive issues.

Check out the sexypants thread linked above :smile: , take a deep breathe, and hang in there!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You describe stress and stress often leads to stress-eating in a search for some kind of endorphin.

Are you actually weighing and accurately logging your food?
  • martinakeriakos
    martinakeriakos Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Gaining weight over what time period? It honestly doesn't matter if a person cuts out sugar and bread if they are still eating more calories than their body needs. However, water weight fluctuations are very common and can often mask weight loss or result in a bigger number on the scale, even if we are in a calorie deficit. Also, when a person is under a great deal of stress, excess cortisol can affect the number on the scale. Aside from addressing your stress levels, it's a matter of making sure you are eating the correct number of calories for weight loss (however you choose to do this), and staying consistent over a long period of time.

YOU ARE RIGHT,I PROBABLY AM STILL EATING INCORRECT. BUT WITHIN 7 MONTHS I HAVE GAINED OVER 20POUNDS.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I don't any diary entrees.
    What are you eating?
    Are you weighting your food?
    Are you using a food scale?
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have been strangely gaining weight! And I am.not sure why....I'm not even joking when I say I am watching what I eat. I have cut sugar out completely, pop, some bread and I just keep gaining instead or stay at the 178 mark 😤😭. I work full time and after work my hands are completely full with taking care of my parents and then heading home taking care of mine. So I am exhausted everyday and have no time for me. What do you suggest I do? Lol I know you just added me and I'm giving you an earful but I am truly desperate for help and am the heaviest I have ever been!!!!

That comes out to about 2.85 pounds a month. A slow creep. It's easy when you're super stressed and exhausted to eat more than you think, or eat foods that aren't as healthy as they could be, not drink enough water, etc. It's tough when you really don't have the time to take care of you. Cutting out sugar is a huge step! Even if you don't have time to cook, you can still keep your fridge stocked with premade salads and healthy meals from the supermarket to make things easier. I'm still on the side of eating fast food on occasion, because most of us live in the real world and when you're on a budget with not much time, it can be an option. It's easy to get grilled chicken instead of fried, swap out fries for salad, etc. Good luck and I hope things ease up on you soon.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

YOU ARE RIGHT,I PROBABLY AM STILL EATING INCORRECT. BUT WITHIN 7 MONTHS I HAVE GAINED OVER 20POUNDS.

Well, that's not just water weight then. Use the link above and the other most helpful posts below to learn how weight loss works and how to accurately count your calories. For now, you may just want to learn how to cut back to your maintenance level of calories for a while (while hopefully learning strategies to help you cope with stress). Definitely don't add to your stress with an overly-restrictive approach to weight loss, or by trying to cut out food groups you enjoy.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • jcmuirhead
    jcmuirhead Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In addition to what other people have said about correctly counting calories, I think you may want to get your hormone levels checked by your doctor if you have not already. Certain imbalances (especially thyroid) can cause sudden weight gain or loss even when nothing else has changed. It's important to make sure you know what is going on with your body so that you can have the right plan for you.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    First of all it IS possible for you to lose weight. I know sometimes when we are trying to do what we think will work and nothing happens we begin to lose hope. It's not hopeless. What you eat is only one piece of the puzzle. The total number of calories is what counts. You have likely heard all the hype about Keto and quitting sugar and carbs. That is one approach that works for some but it sounds like it's not the best method for you.

I would suggest for the next couple of weeks that you just log what you are eating every day. That includes alcohol and bites here and there. Once you have a couple weeks under your belt you can see if you are in fact eating too many calories. You should be weighing all solid foods. Don't guess. From there you will know if there is something going on with your body or if it is just a case of eating more than you thought you were.

If you find you are eating more calories than you thought and you are intent on losing then you might want to consider lowering your intake by 500 calories a day from your maintenance level. In other words tell the program you want to lose 1 pound a week. If that is too stressful then go for a half pound a week. Forget about cheat days. So many folks do them and then can't understand why they aren't losing. When you have been actively losing for a while you can decide if they will work for you.

Stress does in fact make it harder to lose but it doesn't make it impossible. If your calories are already low then you need to see your doctor. Don't give up. You have a right to take care of yourself as well as your family. Take one day at a time. Good luck.