My experience

Options
2»

Replies

• 49DegreesNorth
    49DegreesNorth Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    To show off your Abs, I thought it meant to get your BF % below 10% and to get them to pop out, to do ab exercise

Yup. problem for most is getting below 10%. very hard to achieve for most, like me, and even harder to maintain

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Thanks @49DegreesNorth you’re a young pup at age 53 so enjoy your youth. You’re fitness, health and wellness wisdom is priceless.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

If you eat the right amount of calories but from the wrong source it will not work.

What won't work? Weight loss, desired aesthetics or both?

I would argue that, dependent upon your goals, that would most certainly work. If the goal is simple reduction of BF% and "getting in better shape" just eating the proper amount of calories would certainly work (see the twinkie diet). It may not be the most optimal, but it'd work.

I know many on here and IRL that followed the plan of eating a balanced diet, hitting their macros and calories, all while fitting in treats and were able to reach their goals.
  • 49DegreesNorth
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

If you eat the right amount of calories but from the wrong source it will not work.

I would argue that, dependent upon your goals, that would most certainly work. If the goal is simple reduction of BF% and "getting in better shape" just eating the proper amount of calories would certainly work (see the twinkie diet). It may not be the most optimal, but it'd work.

I know many on here and IRL that followed the plan of eating a balanced diet, hitting their macros and calories, all while fitting in treats and were able to reach their goals.

I do not agree. You will perhaps lose some BF, together with LBM. You will also slow your metabolism to the point of requiring you to restrict additionally calories in a downward spiral

The idea is to do this in a healthy and efficient manner, without going to any form of damaging extremes

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

I do not agree. You will perhaps lose some BF, together with LBM. You will also slow your metabolism to the point of requiring you to restrict additionally calories in a downward spiral

The idea is to do this in a healthy and efficient manner, without going to any form of damaging extremes

Incorrect. Your metabolism naturally slows down as you shrink. It's normal. And smaller bodies require fewer calories, so of course 146-pound me can't eat the 1700 calories that 254-lb me could and lose weight. (Assuming no exercise.)

Source: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/metabolic-damage/

When losing weight, it's almost inevitable that some LBM will be lost. Strength/resistance training will reduce that loss but not eliminate it completely.

That's what happens in a "healthy and efficient" weight loss program without going to damaging extremes.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Adding to the abs thing. I have never cared if a guy had them.. never gave it a second thought.

I also don't care if I have abs. I really like my stomach just flat..it looks nice that way.

I do understand that body building is an art in and of itself..and to those who are into it..it is a big deal, and you work very hard and it is all consuming. Truth be told.. when I was single and saw a guy who obviously was super fit and spent hours at the gym... I just knew I didn't want to keep up with that or be part of it. I would be living a LIE. haha. But I've gotten some gems of good advice from the gym rats around here.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Adding to the abs thing. I have never cared if a guy had them.. never gave it a second thought.

I also don't care if I have abs. I really like my stomach just flat..it looks nice that way.

I do understand that body building is an art in and of itself..and to those who are into it..it is a big deal, and you work very hard and it is all consuming. Truth be told.. when I was single and saw a guy who obviously was super fit and spent hours at the gym... I just knew I didn't want to keep up with that or be part of it. I would be living a LIE. haha. But I've gotten some gems of good advice from the gym rats around here.

I don't think anyone was asking the opinion of what you or anyone of the opposite sex thought of a 6 pack... completely out of left field to come in with such a comment. Sounds like more of his goal, not his goal for how to pick up women.

Also, I may have given advice and have a 6 pack, but am far from a gym rat... I go to the gym 4 days/week for 40 minutes at a time, that is a total of 3 hours a week!
  • 49DegreesNorth
    Options

Incorrect. Your metabolism naturally slows down as you shrink.

I was referring to your statement that the source is ininfluent to weight reduction, that only calories are what matters. Or at least that is what i understood from your answer to me. And to me that is incorrect. Sorce is fundamental in the preservation of energy, metabolism and LBM. At least in my experience
  • 49DegreesNorth
    Options

In my case it's simply a goal, not looking to use it to attract women. Hell, with the issues i am having with my divorce the LAST thing I am looking right now is another woman :D:D:'(
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Incorrect. Your metabolism naturally slows down as you shrink.

I was referring to your statement that the source is ininfluent to weight reduction, that only calories are what matters. Or at least that is what i understood from your answer to me. And to me that is incorrect. Sorce is fundamental in the preservation of energy, metabolism and LBM. At least in my experience

My statement? My answer above was my first time commenting in this thread. But given that I've dropped 108lbs, increased muscle strength, improved fitness levels, and won my age bracket in my first-ever 5K last year while eating a reasonably healthy diet that incorporated a variety of different foods from kale to cake, I have to say my experience is markedly different.
  • 49DegreesNorth
    Options
    My statement?

Sorry
    quoted wrong person
    Meant to quote RGv2....