The Gym

Options
So, I am quite fearful of "The Gym"

Intimidated by the buff muscle men, and the fancy equipment. I have these scenarios that plays in my head, that someone will approach me and ask, "What are you working out?" and I would say "My back fat"

Can you even work out your back fat?

UGh, but I have to get over this, I want to look in the mirror and flex my arms and see those pipes come alive instead of it looking like its twitching because I was just carrying a heavy load of groceries from Buy-Low™.

I am not very athletic, but I would really like to be able to go to a gym and work out a sweat

Does anyone else have this fear?

And if you finally got the courage, how? Did you just wake up one morning and said, F* everyone who judges because soon they will want to look like this!

10591653.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    .................that someone will approach me and ask...............

no one has ever spoken to me at the gym.

also, at my gym there are older people than me, fatter people than me, even some developmentally disabled people, all just trying to move more. If I can do it anyone can :wink:
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    at first i had this fear and then i was like whatever, everyone will be focused on themselves and what rep number they are at or how fast they are going to pay attention to me. also who cares what anyone else thinks???? you are there to better yourself and be true to yourself and accomplish your weight loss goals
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I live on a military post so I have access to something like 12 gyms for free, which is awesome... only those gyms are full of super fit airborne, special forces and army rangers. So I go in with my girl muscles and use to feel like a moron. Doesn't help that when you are the only spot of estrogen in an all male room you get stared at. Now i take off my glasses, turn my ipod up loud, and pretend like I am the only person in the room. It really makes a difference. The first day that I went in alone without a workout buddy I sat in the car in the parking lot for about 5 minutes freaking out! It has gotten easier and easier every time I go though. I think the only answer is just to go in scared, and keep going in till it isn't scary anymore.
  • lionsaults
    Options
    I go to the gym and everyone there usually are just to themselves.
    I use to have that fear too before, because the gym I go to is in my hometown and I was afraid to see everyone from my old high school there but I decided I didn't care and just started going. (:
  • kmo566
    kmo566 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

And if you finally got the courage, how? Did you just wake up one morning and said, F* everyone who judges because soon they will want to look like this!

That's pretty much how I did it. The first few times were awkward, but once I started focusing on working my butt off (ha! pun!), I didn't have time to worry about what everyone else was thinking.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    So, I am quite fearful of "The Gym"

Intimidated by the buff muscle men, and the fancy equipment. I have these scenarios that plays in my head, that someone will approach me and ask, "What are you working out?" and I would say "My back fat"

Can you even work out your back fat?

UGh, but I have to get over this, I want to look in the mirror and flex my arms and see those pipes come alive instead of it looking like its twitching because I was just carrying a heavy load of groceries from Buy-Low™.

I am not very athletic, but I would really like to be able to go to a gym and work out a sweat

Does anyone else have this fear?

Get an orientation. They are usually free. That will help you to at least get started. Most people are at the gym for themselves and could care less what others do.
  • libs41223
    libs41223 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was nervous the first time I stepped foot into my gym. I think we all are. But, everyone that goes is there to better themselves in some form or fashion. There are a lot more "regular" people than you might think. My gym does have the body builders but they are actually pretty nice people. I say go for it, it is a decision you will not regret!
  • Lolyballs
    Lolyballs Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I had this fear. I am mildly agoraphobic. I have a difficult time going alone anywhere... I won't go into all of it. A friend talked me into joining the YMCA to workout and lose weight. We went to one orientation and then she abandoned me. I want the weight off in the worse way so I scheduled my second orientation and went with out her. Once I made the appointment I was committed to go. I found that everyone is focused on their own workout and not concerned about what I'm doing at all. I got a copy of class schedules and go during the slow periods so there are not a lot of people there. You really just have to do it. . You will find there are people at all different levels exercising. I feel so much better about myself and look forward to going to the gym now. I am working on getting the courage to join in the water aerobics class now. Again, I'm just going to have to jump in and do it!
  • JAGS2012
    JAGS2012 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies...

I really should just go in...

One question... does the orientation show you how to use the equipment?
  • tklarakis
    Options
    Oh it's not that bad at all. Most people have their headphones in and keep to themselves. Just get in there and get to it, I was scared at first too, for no reason. And yes the orientation usually includes a tutorial on the machines.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies...

I really should just go in...

One question... does the orientation show you how to use the equipment?

My gym offered one session with a trainer and they went around and showed me how to use the equipment and even helped me figure out a good starting routine. Good luck and get yourself out there!
  • simone207
    simone207 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to is associated with the local hospital so there is an a wide varity of people from people seeking physical therapy to high school football players. They have alot of classes which are great. The class instructors range from a 70 year old spin class instructor (who I can't keep up with) to college students. I say try out a gym the adversity in the gyms has greatly changed recently. I have been to several different gyms and the one I'm at now I like the best.