Weight gain from reintroducing alcohol?

Options
emilysusana
emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I decided to cut out alcohol completely for awhile, as I restarted my weigh loss journey and trained for a half marathon at the same time. I was losing a pound a week as predicted, netting 1200 calories a day (eating back all of my many exercise calories).

I decided I could try reintroducing alcohol and have been having two drinks a day. They have fit within my calorie budget. I’m still exercising a ton (I have lots more time now so I’m taking extra walks and things). I’m still netting 1200 calories.

Could reintroducing alcohol, when it fits into the same calorie goals I’ve been meeting for months, account for the fact that I’ve lost nothing in a month, and that I’ve gained a pound and a half in the last couple of weeks?

Replies

• emilysusana
    Options
    I should have specified: I reintroduced alcohol about two weeks ago.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    What are you drinking? If you are still netting 1200 calories then what does the rest of your diet look like if you are still able to fit in 2 alcoholic beverages a day? Alcohol can slow weight loss so yes this is possible.

• emilysusana
    Options
    I’m still netting 1200, yes. Most of the time I’m having 220 calories worth of wine.

I’m eating plenty and I eat well. Most days I earn about 700 extra calories from exercise. I know this sounds high but I do a lot (and this part has not changed).
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    When did you start your current goals? Any new activity? 2 weeks could just be a temporary stall.
  • emilysusana
    Options
    I have incorporated biking and swimming (now I’m training for a sprint triathlon)... so yes to the new activity. But I was running a lot before. 1200 calories net per day has been my goal since December 26.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have incorporated biking and swimming (now I’m training for a sprint triathlon)... so yes to the new activity. But I was running a lot before. 1200 calories net per day has been my goal since December 26.

most likely your muscles are retaining water due to the new exercise, as the muscles are being worked differently and would retain water to aid in recovery. once you get used to the new routine that excess water should shed.

How much weight do you have left to lose?
  • emilysusana
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    [

1.5lbs in two weeks could easily be normal water weight fluctuations, and alcohol can mess with your hydration levels, so I wouldn't assume it's a problem just yet.

Just as a side note, being active and netting 1200 cals which includes two drinks per day, it seems like it would be quite difficult to get enough protein and fat for health and exercise recovery. That is the lowest possible calorie goal and if you're spending 200-300 cals per day on alcohol, you almost have to be shorting something else. Just a word of caution as stuff like that can sneak up on you.

ETA: I just peeked at your diary and it seems like you are making it work due to a ton of exercise cals, just keep an eye on it :smile: Some people do find that regular drinking can mess with their athletic performance (especially when in a deficit), others don't.

Yeah, that’s why I didn’t drink while training for the half. I’m starting to look ahead to the sprint tri, but it’s not until August 25. I have very flexible work hours in the summer, so I have lots of time to work out (and to eat and drink), so I’m doing more of both than I was during the semester.... I plan to go back to purely fueling my activity starting in the beginning of July.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh? I was looking at your tracked calories from exercise and they seem a little high for the workouts... Also--it appears that you changed from a Fitbit to a Pacer for tracking calories over the course of this month--that might be introducing some error into your estimated calorie burn, too.
  • emilysusana
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    How much do you weigh? I was looking at your tracked calories from exercise and they seem a little high for the workouts... Also--it appears that you changed from a Fitbit to a Pacer for tracking calories over the course of this month--that might be introducing some error into your estimated calorie burn, too.

I weigh 134 currently.

I did change to Apple Watch / Pacer for tracking. You’re right that it could be that. The burn level does seem high, but it did when I was using my Fitbit too. at first with the Fitbit I was only eating back half of the calorie adjustment (I have MFP set to sedentary), but then I was losing too fast (1.5-1.7 lbs a week) so I started eating them all. AW/Pacer seems to be giving me similar results.

After many weeks of MFP and Fitbit data, I calculated my TDEE to be around 2300.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    This seems to be true but it may not be:

While it normally takes me 3-5 days to unload some excess water weight after I have had alcohol it appears to take 6-8.

I do not know if there are other factors involved but in the last 4 times I have had something with some higher carb and sodium foods it has taken longer to drop back to normal. That is not a big enough deal for me to totally abstain but I am a little more careful now and may not drink if I am already retaining a large amount of water for any reason.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

I weigh 134 currently.

I did change to Apple Watch / Pacer for tracking. You’re right that it could be that. The burn level does seem high, but it did when I was using my Fitbit too. at first with the Fitbit I was only eating back half of the calorie adjustment (I have MFP set to sedentary), but then I was losing too fast (1.5-1.7 lbs a week) so I started eating them all. AW/Pacer seems to be giving me similar results.

After many weeks of MFP and Fitbit data, I calculated my TDEE to be around 2300.

How tall are you?

just wondering if you should be aiming for 0.5 lbs/week instead of 1.
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Assuming your end goal has you at healthy or Atheltic BF%
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I hold a ton of water weight any time I drink alcohol. 3-5 pounds and it sticks around 3-4 days. If I were to drink alcohol every 3-4 days, it would likely look like actual weight gain.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Along with the drinks - is there more sitting time?

I've known many that during busy times they are constant active, no time for drinks.

When the drink comes into play, at minimum it's plop down time to relax for a while, sometimes rest of the evening.

So while you are eating the same calories - the burning side of the equation has changed.

Can you compare the suggested calorie burn (not steps) for the time prior to starting the drinks again, and since?
  • emilysusana
    Options
    [quote="erickirb;c-43779351" . [/quote]

How tall are you?

just wondering if you should be aiming for 0.5 lbs/week instead of 1.
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Assuming your end goal has you at healthy or Atheltic BF%
    [/quote]

I’m 5’2 and 40 years old.

My starting weight was 156 and my goal is 120 ish. So I initially wanted to lose a pound a week and I figured I’d slow to .5 a week around this time. I had a couple of weeks of eating at maintenance, though, so I thought I’d get things heading downward again before switching to .5 a week. My issue has been that it looks like I’m headed the other direction!
  • emilysusana
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Along with the drinks - is there more sitting time?

I've known many that during busy times they are constant active, no time for drinks.

When the drink comes into play, at minimum it's plop down time to relax for a while, sometimes rest of the evening.

So while you are eating the same calories - the burning side of the equation has changed.

Can you compare the suggested calorie burn (not steps) for the time prior to starting the drinks again, and since?

I definitely see what you’re saying here, but I’ve been making an extra effort to keep moving throughout the day. Multiple trips up and down the stairs when I could save time with just one. Parking far from the store and wandering around as much as possible to get extra steps in... I have more time on my hands, and I’ve wanted to be able to enjoy those drinks in the evening, so if anything it’s been making me more active, not less.

I have MFP set to sedentary and then Pacer is feeding MFP data from Apple health (Apple Watch) to adjust for me being anything but sedentary. So whether I was moving more or less as a result of the alcohol, it should be reflected in the adjustment.
  • emilysusana
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments and feedback.

I think I’ll cut out the drinks for a week and see where things stand!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    You haven't got good data yet.

You've changed too much too recently

Fitbit to Pacer, new exercise, an activity level fluctuation, plus alcohol which may change your hydration slightly.

You're also closer to goal and expecting to continue to lose like clockwork just as you were when starting out.

Why had you picked close to this weight for starting to slow down your loss?

Probably because it is a point where you expected to have not as many excess fat reserves available to lose.

Seems just as likely that your body has decided just ahead of you that you were right and that the quick first pickings are now out the door and you will be showing slower losses and more weight fluctuations moving forward.

Throw in the new exercise and less than two weeks worth of data and it is mostly the label alcohol as compared to kale that is making you question things as much.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Two drinks a day would def make me fat. How about you have two drinks just on Saturday or just on Friday and not drink the rest of the week.
  • emilysusana
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You haven't got good data yet.

You've changed too much too recently

Fitbit to Pacer, new exercise, an activity level fluctuation, plus alcohol which may change your hydration slightly.

You're also closer to goal and expecting to continue to lose like clockwork just as you were when starting out.

Why had you picked close to this weight for starting to slow down your loss?

Probably because it is a point where you expected to have not as many excess fat reserves available to lose.

Seems just as likely that your body has decided just ahead of you that you were right and that the quick first pickings are now out the door and you will be showing slower losses and more weight fluctuations moving forward.

Throw in the new exercise and less than two weeks worth of data and it is mostly the label alcohol as compared to kale that is making you question things as much.

Honestly I gave myself permission to slow my rate of loss to .5 lbs a week quite some time ago, but I didn’t adjust my calorie goal, I just gave myself permission to go over. But in that same stretch of time, I was also running a lot of miles (and not drinking alcohol), so I just didn’t need more calories than 1200 net with all the extras I earned from workouts.

But you’re right that several things have changed. I was thinking alcohol was the main thing, but the exercise is different and my exercise data being tracked differently could have an effect, too. The adjustments seem similar to what I was getting from Fitbit, but maybe that’s a misperception.

I also think maybe I’ve loosened tracking just a smidge (I think because I’m set to 1200 but have given myself permission to do more like 1450). I’ve not been expecting to lose a pound a week, but I certainly don’t think I’ve been eating over my TDEE to be gaining fat.

Perhaps I need to tighten up those things and give it some time. Maybe, as several have said, the alcohol has caused water weight gains...