I burn 200 calories per hour..is it true

Options
Hello my heart rate monitor says i burn 200 calories per hour..my heart beat is 98 to 110.is it true..if yes then also y i m not loosing any weight...and yes i take 1200 calorie diet

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Maybe? Keep in mind you burn calories just by living, and any movement at all, including fidgeting or blinking, burns some amount of calories. That's your TDEE, or total daily energy expenditure. It could be 200 per hour.

Though your heart rate sounds really high. I question the accuracy of your monitor.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    prpattani wrote: »
    Hello my heart rate monitor says i burn 200 calories per hour..my heart beat is 98 to 110.is it true..if yes then also y i m not loosing any weight...and yes i take 1200 calorie diet

Do you burn 200 cals per hour doing what? Are you asking about exercise calorie burns?

If you're asking do I burn 200 cals per hour all day, the answer is that it's highly doubtful, but your height and current weight would help.

Are you using a food scale? Double checking that the entries you are choosing in the database have the accurate calories?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    HRMs aren’t really accurate for anything outside of steady state cardio.

I only get about 56 calories per hour of no activity from activity trackers.

Now as for the 1200 calorie thing:

- Are you sure you are picking accurate food logs from the database? Not everything is accurate and some are way off.
    - Avoid using “ Homemade “ entries from the database. You don’t know how much or what exact ingredients were used. This means it is unlikely that what you are eating is similar to the entry.
    - How are you judging your portion sizes?
    https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU
    - How long have you been eating 1200 calories?
    - Are you consistent? No skipping days or eating way over on some days
    - Have you recently started exercising? Water retention from muscle repair can mask fat loss on the scale for a bit.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options

As others have asked ... 200 calories per hour doing what?

Walking ... possibly, especially if you're walking briskly.

Standing ... probably not.
  • prpattani
    prpattani Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No i burn just by sitting
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Then it's not accurate. Unfortunately, without answers to any of our other questions we can't give you much help, but a typical woman would not be burning 4800 cals per day.

Set up your profile here with your correct height, weight, and activity level, get a calorie goal and forget the HRM. Either there's something wrong with it or you are reading it incorrectly.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

that means your NEAT would be 4800 cals/day... does that sound reasonable to you?

Keep in mind that HRMs are only somewhat of a good estimator under certain conditions::
    Steady state Cardio with your max HR adjusted or is correct at 220-age, and your V02Max is in the same ballpark the HRM has in its calculation.

For not working our HRMs are good at telling you your HR, but that does not equate to cals burned, the HRM just assumes you are doing steady state cardio with your HR at that level
  • jdsass82
    jdsass82 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

There's no way you are burning 200 calories per hour just by sitting or standing. That would mean that you would be burning 4,800 calories per day.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    HRMs measure heart beats not calories. They're not diet tools ... as you can see from the absurd number it's making up.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Nowhere near 200 calories per hour.

Maybe 65?

And if your HR is 98-110 just sitting may I encourage you to start walking. Start slow. Start with short distances. But build up.
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Never used HRM, but i know I burn appx 600 cal/hr on bike, with my calorie intake sometimes lower and a bit higher than You. Like some have replied, Your question needs more info. Also, there are many calculators you can use to get estimations.