What’s your daily calorie intake?

MFP has given me 1,500 calories as my daily goal (I’m 6’0 and active). What did other ladies get? I wonder if mine is accurate.

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I am 69 years old, inactive, 5’10”, and lose on 1600 calories a day, so I would guess no.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member

How does that help? You've linked a 200 pound man at 5'9" and 45 YO.

I guess she could input her own stuff...

@isadorarangel86 - the way to figure out if it's right or not is to use it for a couple months and see if it's working.

How much weight do you need to lose to be in a healthy BMI?

With no info about you I'd say:
    Set your Goals realistically, choose, "Lose 1 pound per week," like the site suggests, set your Activity Level at Lightly Active, log food and exercise and then after this experiment, adjust if necessary.

• cmriverside
    Also, if you do input your stats into that TDEE calculator, it's going to give you a much higher number.

Myfitnesspal wants you to enter exercise on the day you do it and you get some extra calories on that day. TDEE calculators figure in your PROJECTED exercise and prorate those extra calories out over the entire week. Two ways to get to the same place, but you'll be seeing very different daily calorie goals. Just so you know.

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    What did you set as your rate of loss? What is your starting weight and how much do you want to lose? 1500 sounds low. My guess is you set your weight loss target too aggressively, which is why you are getting that low a target.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member

How does that help? You've linked a 200 pound man at 5'9" and 45 YO.

I guess she could input her own stuff...

@isadorarangel86 - the way to figure out if it's right or not is to use it for a couple months and see if it's working.

How much weight do you need to lose to be in a healthy BMI?

With no info about you I'd say:
    Set your Goals realistically, choose, "Lose 1 pound per week," like the site suggests, set your Activity Level at Lightly Active, log food and exercise and then after this experiment, adjust if necessary.

I agree with this. Accurately weighed and measured, 1500 calories for a day is going to leave someone 6' and active awfully hungry, unnecessarily hungry imo.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    I lost weight pretty expeditiously at 5'5", starting at 180-some pounds, at 1400-1600 net calories most days, so typically 1700-2000 gross calories actually consumed, at age 59-60 and sedentary outside of intentional exercise. I admit I'm a pretty good li'l ol' calorie burner for my demographics for some unknown reason, but 1500 sounds kind of low for someone 6' tall and younger.
  • Naturally_Monica
    Naturally_Monica Posts: 335 Member
    5’4”, 154 pounds, 21 years old, 1560 calories a day for a loss of 1 pound a week.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    edited May 2019
    55 years old, female, lightly active. Currently 197lbs. My goal is set to lose 1.8lbs per week and my caloric allotment is 1200 per day. I recently went from 1270 to 1200 (one week ago) calories/day. My monthly loss for May thus far has been about 5lbs--so less than the 1.8lbs I set myself up for--but I seem to be on a semi-plateau and the month isn't over yet.
  • tammie614
    tammie614 Posts: 48 Member
    i understand that everyone IS different however, the MFP "Calculator" is totally off, (IMO). 1200 cals is WAY too low for anyone (most people). I use the calculator on IIFYM and I clicked on the link for the TDEE calc above and they were pretty close as far as cals/macros. my maintenance cals (according to the TDEE link above) are a little close to 2100. however i stay between 1650-1850 creating a cal deficit needed for fat loss, and i workout 4-5 days a week
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    tammie614 wrote: »
    i understand that everyone IS different however, the MFP "Calculator" is totally off, (IMO). 1200 cals is WAY too low for anyone (most people). I use the calculator on IIFYM and I clicked on the link for the TDEE calc above and they were pretty close as far as cals/macros. my maintenance cals (according to the TDEE link above) are a little close to 2100. however i stay between 1650-1850 creating a cal deficit needed for fat loss, and i workout 4-5 days a week

Most people who get 1200 when it's inappropriate have chosen an overly aggressive weekly rate of loss.
    Also, MFP expects you to log exercise and eat back those calories, so the goal is actually 1200+exercise.

OP, we can't really tell if your goal is reasonable without knowing your current weight and goal weight, and how many lbs you set yourself to lose per week.
  • cmriverside
    tammie614 wrote: »

Yeah, if you understand the tool and use it the way it's designed you don't get that low calorie as a goal unless you chose it.

From Help at the top of every page: How does MyFitnessPal calculate my initial goals?

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    1). providing more information about yourself and your goals may help people determine if that initial calorie target is reasonable
    2). The best way to determine if it’s the right goal for you is to understand how it was calculated, use it for 6-8 weeks while being as accurate as possible with your food logging and consistent with logging exercise and eating back calories burned.

• texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    My goal is aggressive, but I will change it after my vacation in August. I have an intermediate weight loss goal for August 1, which is to lose 30lbs from my start day of March 11. During vacation I will do a re-feed; and when I get back I'll set my weight loss to 1lb/week and add exercise. I'm not currently exercising outside my normal daily routines. Sometime in August a gym will open in my small town. Right now, we do not have a gym and I would need to drive 20+ miles to get to one.

I have a 2nd goal to lose 50lbs (from March 11) by October 26th. I'm attending the wedding of a dear friend's daughter. If I'm close to that goal, I will likely do a weekend re-feed and set my weekly weight loss goal at half pound until I reach my ultimate goal of 130lbs. I don't have a end date for that. I set my intermediate dates according to life events.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    I calculate mine manually and set exact calories/macros myself, but I am a macro tracker overall. At 5'7" and 175lbs (42 yrs old) I can lose weight on 1900 calories. I don't use MFP settings. I don't log my exercise. I do Crossfit/Weight training 5 days a week.

Without knowing your weight, it's hard to say if 1500 is appropriate.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I have learned to trust MFP and its calculations simply because of my weight loss results.