How I’m planning for my trip

Options
So next week we will be staying at my grandmas. Im really anxious about going there because every singe time I go there I eat a tonne and gain fat. This is due to the fact that there is never any health food cooked there and no decent snacks available plus I eat because the food is there. This time I’m determined not to let that happen by taking a reading book and colouring book with me to keep myself occupied and I’m taking a bag of snacks that I’m weighing a packing myself into small reseal packets. Genius, why haven’t I thought of this before?

These are the foods that I’m going to weigh and pack:
1. Peanut butter: 2 x 30g
2. Pumpkin seeds: 2 x 30g
3. Hemp seeds: 2 x 30g
4. 30g of spelt flour
5. 30 of almonds
6. Flax seeds: 2 x 15g
7. Chia seed: 2 x 30g
8. My favourite date and pecan granola

Plus packaged foods from grocery store such as houmous, yoghurt, oatcakes, honey, erythritol sweetener, dark chocolate, protein balls and tuna. Fruit and veg I can buy from small local mini supermarkets.

Has anyone else taken pre weighed foods to relatives houses? Im worried about the comments that I’m going to get so I’m going to try and get my food out when everyone is still sleeping.

Also I’ve tried and tested the ‘don’t worry and eat whatever is there’. Nope doesn’t work, I only have 24 lbs to lose and I have PCOS. I don’t want to go off track again and again. I will indulge in moderation if I want to.

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I don't think what you are planning is a bad idea but I also agree with apullum's concerns. For any comments, you just have to be willing to stand up for yourself. You don't need to make the conversation about weight loss if you aren't comfortable talking about that, but just stand your ground on those snacks being what you want to like and want to eat right now. "No this isn't a judgement on the food offered. Thank you." End conversation. Sneaking your foods while everyone sleeps sounds like something that is steeped in shame and guilt, and not a road you want or need to go down.

A couple other suggestions that you may already be planning - take smaller portions of the food offered during meals so you are still joining in, and maybe offer to cook a meal for everyone while you there.

Two questions purely for my own curiosity - Why weigh everything except the almonds? Why are you taking spelt flour?
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should ask if you can cook one of the family meals each day and introduce them to the healthy foods you have been eating.

I'm sure there will be a protein carb and fat at each meal. perhaps shop for veggies and fruit.

A big part of most families is sharing a meal together. Breaking bread.

I've only seen ppl in competition prep be this meticulous and even then its frowned upon by others and even seen as a slight to the person who prepared the food.

Grandmas love to cook find a way to eat with your family.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I’m not sure I understand your plan. Do you mean that you aren’t going to eat during the family mealtime, and instead eat what you brought while everyone else is asleep?

I don’t know what your family is like. Everyone has a different relationship with their relatives. However, in my family, that behavior would be seen as worrisome and possibly insulting. My family would want to know why they never saw me eating. They would be put off if they knew I was hiding food that I snuck in, rather than asking them to buy what I wanted and/or sharing the food I brought with everyone. And they would think this behavior of sneaking around eating while no one else was watching was concerning.

Again, your family might work differently than mine. But as someone who lost a lot of weight and has been maintaining for a while, I think that the small amount of weight I might gain during a week with my family is worth it to enjoy the time I have with them.

My family knows that I eat differently than they do. I was a vegetarian long before I started losing weight; they are meat and potatoes people. Either they buy me veggie protein or I bring some and cook it myself at the same time everyone else is eating. I help make veggie sides for everyone. I enjoy my mom’s desserts in moderation. I try to encourage everyone to go for a walk.

You are hopefully going to be in maintenance for the rest of your life. You have to find a plan that works for you for the long term. That means that you need to evaluate your relationship with your family and figure out how your long term weight management plan fits into that.
    apullum wrote: »
    I’m not sure I understand your plan. Do you mean that you aren’t going to eat during the family mealtime, and instead eat what you brought while everyone else is asleep?

I don’t know what your family is like. Everyone has a different relationship with their relatives. However, in my family, that behavior would be seen as worrisome and possibly insulting. My family would want to know why they never saw me eating. They would be put off if they knew I was hiding food that I snuck in, rather than asking them to buy what I wanted and/or sharing the food I brought with everyone. And they would think this behavior of sneaking around eating while no one else was watching was concerning.

Again, your family might work differently than mine. But as someone who lost a lot of weight and has been maintaining for a while, I think that the small amount of weight I might gain during a week with my family is worth it to enjoy the time I have with them.

My family knows that I eat differently than they do. I was a vegetarian long before I started losing weight; they are meat and potatoes people. Either they buy me veggie protein or I bring some and cook it myself at the same time everyone else is eating. I help make veggie sides for everyone. I enjoy my mom’s desserts in moderation. I try to encourage everyone to go for a walk.

You are hopefully going to be in maintenance for the rest of your life. You have to find a plan that works for you for the long term. That means that you need to evaluate your relationship with your family and figure out how your long term weight management plan fits into that.

You did misunderstand. I just want to be accurate as possible. I’ve already been eating their food for my whole life and it hasn’t helped me. I just overeat because all they eat is rice and rice never ever fills me up. Ever. Lol I won’t be eating my food in secret! I just meant I will keep taking it out of my bag in secret in the morning. Nothing wrong with that. I will be eating with everyone and they know I eat healthy. I just wanted to know if anyone else had pre weighed their snacks. In the past I’ve put on weight and I hate gaining and losing the same 10lbs. They don’t have healthy satisfying foods in their house. I’m just planning which is what I was told to do on this forum. Failing to plan is planning to fail.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    I don't think what you are planning is a bad idea but I also agree with apullum's concerns. For any comments, you just have to be willing to stand up for yourself. You don't need to make the conversation about weight loss if you aren't comfortable talking about that, but just stand your ground on those snacks being what you want to like and want to eat right now. "No this isn't a judgement on the food offered. Thank you." End conversation. Sneaking your foods while everyone sleeps sounds like something that is steeped in shame and guilt, and not a road you want or need to go down.

A couple other suggestions that you may already be planning - take smaller portions of the food offered during meals so you are still joining in, and maybe offer to cook a meal for everyone while you there.

Two questions purely for my own curiosity - Why weigh everything except the almonds? Why are you taking spelt flour?

I’m weighing the almonds too. They don’t even have almonds in their house. Sucks right? Spelt flour so I can make pancakes. I find it easier to digest.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    Perhaps you should ask if you can cook one of the family meals each day and introduce them to the healthy foods you have been eating.

I'm sure there will be a protein carb and fat at each meal. perhaps shop for veggies and fruit.

I've only seen ppl in competition prep be this meticulous and even then its frowned upon by others and even seen as a slight to the person who prepared the food.

I don’t get it. On the one hand I’m being told on my last post to eat my own food and prep, now that I’m prepping and planning I’m being told I’m being too meticulous. I said I’ve only got 24 lbs to lose so no wiggle room here. I’ve already gained weight every time I go to my grandmas house because the food is so high in calories and all they eat is rice and curries. I will be eating their food in small amounts along with my own food, mainly for breakfast or snacks.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    My initial plan was to take all those snacks above anyway so I thought why not weigh them before. I’m gonna eat them regardless so what’s wrong with weighing them at home and just packing them?
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »

I don’t get it. On the one hand I’m being told on my last post to eat my own food and prep, now that I’m prepping and planning I’m being told I’m being too meticulous. I said I’ve only got 24 lbs to lose so no wiggle room here. I’ve already gained weight every time I go to my grandmas house because the food is so high in calories and all they eat is rice and curries. I will be eating their food in small amounts along with my own food, mainly for breakfast or snacks.

I think the main takeaway from @sarahlifts post is to try and introduce your family to your world of healthier eating by you cooking some healthier meals for them. That way they can benefit and learn how to eat healthier.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I think eating a healthy balance of their food and your food is a good idea. Pre-weighing and packaging your own food is excellent. That way you can grab and go.

Also, maybe invite them on a nightly walk
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Your plan is fine. Just get out your snacks and eat them when you want to. No explanation needed. The less you say the better. Moderation in everything else.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Are you talking about this thread? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/43734633#Comment_43734633

If so, this situation is different than eating with the people you live with and see every day. In that case, setting boundaries and doing your own planning and prepping is great. That is not the same thing as visiting family you don't live with or see frequently and rejecting the food made and offered by your hosts. While this distinction can be harder to make with family, it still sounds life visiting grandma is a sort of vacation in which case the "rules" of being a good guest apply, one of which is graciously accepting the food your host cooks. Since your only listed 2 servings of each thing above, I am making an assumption that you will be at your grandma's house for 2 days. That is a short period of time and should not be something that causes you to go off track long-term, especially if you practice moderation.

There is nothing wrong with bringing your own snacks, and pre-weighing them is a great idea. We are just suggesting that fully rejecting the food offered could be considered rude by your family.

Also, what is the distinction between taking your snacks out of your bag in secret vs eating them in secret? If you will be eating them in front of your family, why does it matter if they see you take them out of your bag?

I don't want you to think I or anyone else are attacking you, we just want to understand your thinking and help you develop habits that you can use for the rest of your life.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I think you are wise to plan ahead. You may find some situations where you are willing to let it slide a bit. I too have a holiday planned with family this summer and I'm going to do the same. I'll bring things I know I can eat and if they provide heathy choices I can leave my food in the car or fridge as needed. My family are all really happy for me that I've lost weight and will not bat an eye at my choices. I have a sister who needs to be gluten free and no one makes her feel bad about not eating flour so why should I be any different? Have a wonderful holiday.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you have made a plan and you are going to stick to it and that is awesome. I would suggest adding any planned "off-the-plan indulgences" you would like too. For example, if you're staying for 5 nights, you'll eat what everyone is eating 2 nights, and make your own dinners the other 3. Or you'll go out for ice cream once with everyone, but not the three times they ask in addition to that.

If you get push back, it can be hard, but its totally ok to do what you want for yourself and let people think what they want. Not everyone is going to understand the journey you're on, or how hard it would be for you to get back on track if you slipped up. When my family takes trips we all bring our own food, even if we are visiting another family member, we always bring stuff. Partially to not put the host out, but also because we all eat completely differently. We will all eat together, but different foods.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options

I'm replying to this post, haven't seen your last one. sorry if what I posted was counter to what you had previously been told.

In the end, the choice is yours. You know your family. You know your history with visiting family and food options. In the end all of it is on you and you make the best choices for yourself and meeting your goals. Best wishes to you. You can meet your goal!!!!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I’m doing something similar while visiting my sister next week, except my husband and I are staying at a hotel due to other relatives already being at my sister’s. I’m taking my own food for breakfast (we have a mini-fridge in the room, so hard-boiled eggs, Greek yogurt, multi-grain cereal and nonfat milk) and lunches. Don’t know if we will eat our own lunches or eat out, it depends on what my sister has planned. Also healthy snacks (almonds, weighed and prepackaged in baggies, apples, protein bars). It will be a mix of eating my own food, eating out and eating what my sister makes for dinner (luckily she is into healthy food).
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Aside from the tuna most of the foods you mentioned sound like snacks or add-ins not main meal items. For me, those foods just add to my healthy meal or keep me from starving in between. What are you going to do at dinner time when everyone else is having curry and rice? If my plan of attack was to eat my granola while they are having a delicious main meal, that would be an instant fail. Pass the curry and quickly please!

I would game plan with Grandma ahead of time and ask her if it was ok if I could bring some healthy chicken breasts or treat her to a broccoli side so you can stay on your plan. I would be honest in why I was doing it. (Not mentioning that you think her food is unhealthy and fattening.) Just tell her you are trying oh so hard to lose the excess weight and you plan to eat 'some' of her yummy food, but also eat some of your new healthy food.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »

Are you talking about this thread? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/43734633#Comment_43734633

If so, this situation is different than eating with the people you live with and see every day. In that case, setting boundaries and doing your own planning and prepping is great. That is not the same thing as visiting family you don't live with or see frequently and rejecting the food made and offered by your hosts. While this distinction can be harder to make with family, it still sounds life visiting grandma is a sort of vacation in which case the "rules" of being a good guest apply, one of which is graciously accepting the food your host cooks. Since your only listed 2 servings of each thing above, I am making an assumption that you will be at your grandma's house for 2 days. That is a short period of time and should not be something that causes you to go off track long-term, especially if you practice moderation.

There is nothing wrong with bringing your own snacks, and pre-weighing them is a great idea. We are just suggesting that fully rejecting the food offered could be considered rude by your family.

Also, what is the distinction between taking your snacks out of your bag in secret vs eating them in secret? If you will be eating them in front of your family, why does it matter if they see you take them out of your bag?

I don't want you to think I or anyone else are attacking you, we just want to understand your thinking and help you develop habits that you can use for the rest of your life.

I will be staying for 8 days. That’s why I’m planning. Last time I had an 8 day trip or longer I gained weight.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Aside from the tuna most of the foods you mentioned sound like snacks or add-ins not main meal items. For me, those foods just add to my healthy meal or keep me from starving in between. What are you going to do at dinner time when everyone else is having curry and rice? If my plan of attack was to eat my granola while they are having a delicious main meal, that would be an instant fail. Pass the curry and quickly please!

I would game plan with Grandma ahead of time and ask her if it was ok if I could bring some healthy chicken breasts or treat her to a broccoli side so you can stay on your plan. I would be honest in why I was doing it. (Not mentioning that you think her food is unhealthy and fattening.) Just tell her you are trying oh so hard to lose the excess weight and you plan to eat 'some' of her yummy food, but also eat some of your new healthy food.

Okay I’ve decided I’m going to have their food for dinners but I will be avoiding the rice. I think I’m gonna have it with some quinoa instead.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I’m doing something similar while visiting my sister next week, except my husband and I are staying at a hotel due to other relatives already being at my sister’s. I’m taking my own food for breakfast (we have a mini-fridge in the room, so hard-boiled eggs, Greek yogurt, multi-grain cereal and nonfat milk) and lunches. Don’t know if we will eat our own lunches or eat out, it depends on what my sister has planned. Also healthy snacks (almonds, weighed and prepackaged in baggies, apples, protein bars). It will be a mix of eating my own food, eating out and eating what my sister makes for dinner (luckily she is into healthy food).

Sounds like an awesome plan! Wish you all the best in it 🙂
  • xxzenabxx
    edited May 2019
    Options

I'm replying to this post, haven't seen your last one. sorry if what I posted was counter to what you had previously been told.

In the end, the choice is yours. You know your family. You know your history with visiting family and food options. In the end all of it is on you and you make the best choices for yourself and meeting your goals. Best wishes to you. You can meet your goal!!!!

I do have a goal in my mind. I want to be 150lbs by July 4th. Thank you for your input though.