Serving sizes

Options
I really need to work on my serving sizes. Does anyone have an easy-to-use guide to tips?

Replies

• JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Agreed, once I got a food scale I started to realize how easy it was to overestimate how much you are eating. Measure EVERYTHING, every little bit adds up
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    yeah, agree with Panini. The way to learn is to log food for a while.

I know how much I can eat daily and I make my portion sizes fit that number.

My "wanted" and "ideal" portion is wayyy bigger than any real portion. Many food still make me sad (salmon, pb...) haha. I will probably always have to revert back to weighing food here and there to catch my portion creep - which I know will be a lifelong thing ;)

My eyes are bigger than my stomach. No...wait...they're the same size. They just shouldn't be. :)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Beating a dead horse here, but food scales are amazing. Some portions got much smaller for me, but some got bigger (like shredded cheese!) so it is a wonderful device for creating appropriate portion sizes.

For times when you don't have a food scale nearing, using the food scale regularly will help you tremendously to estimate (eyeball) your portion sizes because you have practiced and learned what the right portions actually look like.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I really need to work on my serving sizes. Does anyone have an easy-to-use guide to tips?

Assuming you are an omnivore, you could start with 100 grams each of protein, carb, and vegetables, plus some fat, and adjust as needed.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    food scale.

But, other than that, I have a couple of friends on my friend list who use some sort of tupperware (I don't think it's actually tupperware though) portion size control coloured plastic box thingies. There are like different coloured plastic tubs and you put like protein in one, vegetables in another, etc. I'm not sure how it works exactly but it comes with a guide book of some sort and the two ladies that use it have been getting results.

I still think food scale, but yeah, this plastic container thing might be useful?

I just tried to do a Google of it and was coming up with some 21 day fix thing - not sure if that's what they were/are doing. I don't think it is, or maybe it was but they continue to use the portion control cups?

• bigmc1965
    bigmc1965 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    yeah, agree with Panini. The way to learn is to log food for a while.

I know how much I can eat daily and I make my portion sizes fit that number.

My "wanted" and "ideal" portion is wayyy bigger than any real portion. Many food still make me sad (salmon, pb...) haha. I will probably always have to revert back to weighing food here and there to catch my portion creep - which I know will be a lifelong thing ;)

• cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,033 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    food scale.

But, other than that, I have a couple of friends on my friend list who use some sort of tupperware (I don't think it's actually tupperware though) portion size control coloured plastic box thingies. There are like different coloured plastic tubs and you put like protein in one, vegetables in another, etc. I'm not sure how it works exactly but it comes with a guide book of some sort and the two ladies that use it have been getting results.

I still think food scale, but yeah, this plastic container thing might be useful?

I just tried to do a Google of it and was coming up with some 21 day fix thing - not sure if that's what they were/are doing. I don't think it is, or maybe it was but they continue to use the portion control cups?

I use a food scale, too, but a friend brought me these containers for Christmas because she wanted to motivate me on my process. I would honestly use them more if I needed to take something with me in a hurry. They're just under $8 at Walmart.
    k25fjtz7wlpw.jpg