How I’m planning for my trip

Options
2»

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Did you really gain permanent wait or just increase due to water fluctuation last time?

So I think preparing and bringing snacks is awesome. i do this. Heck my parents do this when they come to my house or my brother's :P But your post sounds like that is all you will be eating?

If you are there 8 days, I'd hit a grocery store. I would help out at meals by making healthier sides. Ex what do you eat instead of rice? grab some of that to eat with them as your side (offer some to others). I've been known to bring frozen cauliflower rice or those 10 calorie pasta replacements when i travel to eat with family/friends. I would buy and cut up tons of vegetables and serve to everything as this are things I personally eat a ton of at each meal. I buy and prepare my coleslaw and share with everyone. i Breakfast is usually "everyone on their own" too so I buy/bring steal cut oats and prepare them myself. family lunches are generally "everyone for themselves" so I will bring canned tuna and crackers or buy some eggs there and boil.

t's about taking the responsibility out of THEIR hands and adding foods to the table while still eating the main "meal" everyone else does. I become involved and helping and preparing meals. not commenting on their food just ADDING more options.

• xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I think you are wise to plan ahead. You may find some situations where you are willing to let it slide a bit. I too have a holiday planned with family this summer and I'm going to do the same. I'll bring things I know I can eat and if they provide heathy choices I can leave my food in the car or fridge as needed. My family are all really happy for me that I've lost weight and will not bat an eye at my choices. I have a sister who needs to be gluten free and no one makes her feel bad about not eating flour so why should I be any different? Have a wonderful holiday.

Thank you. I just want to be in control of some of the food as much as possible.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,565 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Aside from the tuna most of the foods you mentioned sound like snacks or add-ins not main meal items. For me, those foods just add to my healthy meal or keep me from starving in between. What are you going to do at dinner time when everyone else is having curry and rice? If my plan of attack was to eat my granola while they are having a delicious main meal, that would be an instant fail. Pass the curry and quickly please!

I would game plan with Grandma ahead of time and ask her if it was ok if I could bring some healthy chicken breasts or treat her to a broccoli side so you can stay on your plan. I would be honest in why I was doing it. (Not mentioning that you think her food is unhealthy and fattening.) Just tell her you are trying oh so hard to lose the excess weight and you plan to eat 'some' of her yummy food, but also eat some of your new healthy food.

Okay I’ve decided I’m going to have their food for dinners but I will be avoiding the rice. I think I’m gonna have it with some quinoa instead.

I think having dinner with your family is a great idea. That's what I try to do when visiting family. Dinner is usually the most social meal as well. If you don't care for rice then skip it. Load your plate up with protein and veggies if you can, no reason to eat something you don't like. Have a fun trip!
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Aside from the tuna most of the foods you mentioned sound like snacks or add-ins not main meal items. For me, those foods just add to my healthy meal or keep me from starving in between. What are you going to do at dinner time when everyone else is having curry and rice? If my plan of attack was to eat my granola while they are having a delicious main meal, that would be an instant fail. Pass the curry and quickly please!

I would game plan with Grandma ahead of time and ask her if it was ok if I could bring some healthy chicken breasts or treat her to a broccoli side so you can stay on your plan. I would be honest in why I was doing it. (Not mentioning that you think her food is unhealthy and fattening.) Just tell her you are trying oh so hard to lose the excess weight and you plan to eat 'some' of her yummy food, but also eat some of your new healthy food.

Okay I’ve decided I’m going to have their food for dinners but I will be avoiding the rice. I think I’m gonna have it with some quinoa instead.

Sounds awesome! Enjoy yourself. Don't stress. And Good Luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Why quinoa? Don't get me wrong....I love quinoa and my wife and I have been eating since way before it was "cool"...but it has pretty much the same calories as rice. It has a bit more nutrition in the way of protein and fiber, but calories are pretty much the same if that's what you're worried about.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    Perhaps you should ask if you can cook one of the family meals each day and introduce them to the healthy foods you have been eating.

I'm sure there will be a protein carb and fat at each meal. perhaps shop for veggies and fruit.

A big part of most families is sharing a meal together. Breaking bread.

I've only seen ppl in competition prep be this meticulous and even then its frowned upon by others and even seen as a slight to the person who prepared the food.

Grandmas love to cook find a way to eat with your family.

I don’t get it. On the one hand I’m being told on my last post to eat my own food and prep, now that I’m prepping and planning I’m being told I’m being too meticulous. I said I’ve only got 24 lbs to lose so no wiggle room here. I’ve already gained weight every time I go to my grandmas house because the food is so high in calories and all they eat is rice and curries. I will be eating their food in small amounts along with my own food, mainly for breakfast or snacks.

I'm replying to this post, haven't seen your last one. sorry if what I posted was counter to what you had previously been told.

In the end, the choice is yours. You know your family. You know your history with visiting family and food options. In the end all of it is on you and you make the best choices for yourself and meeting your goals. Best wishes to you. You can meet your goal!!!!

I do have a goal in my mind. I want to be 150lbs by July 4th. Thank you for your input though.

Are you presently 24 lbs away from being 150lbs? or is the 150 a mini goal on the road to losing the final 24?

If you plan on losing 24 lbs in 4-5 weeks in a healthy manner AN I SAY THIS IN THE KINDEST WAY POSSIBLE you need to reevaluate that plan. Sweetie is not mathematically possible. You can readjust you goal and expectations. You can meet your goal, just not in that short period of time <3
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Perhaps you should ask if you can cook one of the family meals each day and introduce them to the healthy foods you have been eating.

I'm sure there will be a protein carb and fat at each meal. perhaps shop for veggies and fruit.

I've only seen ppl in competition prep be this meticulous and even then its frowned upon by others and even seen as a slight to the person who prepared the food.

I don’t get it. On the one hand I’m being told on my last post to eat my own food and prep, now that I’m prepping and planning I’m being told I’m being too meticulous. I said I’ve only got 24 lbs to lose so no wiggle room here. I’ve already gained weight every time I go to my grandmas house because the food is so high in calories and all they eat is rice and curries. I will be eating their food in small amounts along with my own food, mainly for breakfast or snacks.

I'm replying to this post, haven't seen your last one. sorry if what I posted was counter to what you had previously been told.

In the end, the choice is yours. You know your family. You know your history with visiting family and food options. In the end all of it is on you and you make the best choices for yourself and meeting your goals. Best wishes to you. You can meet your goal!!!!

I do have a goal in my mind. I want to be 150lbs by July 4th. Thank you for your input though.

Are you presently 24 lbs away from being 150lbs? or is the 150 a mini goal on the road to losing the final 24?

If you plan on losing 24 lbs in 4-5 weeks in a healthy manner AN I SAY THIS IN THE KINDEST WAY POSSIBLE you need to reevaluate that plan. Sweetie is not mathematically possible. You can readjust you goal and expectations. You can meet your goal, just not in that short period of time <3

Don’t worry there’s NO way I’m aiming for that much. Currently I weigh 154-155 lbs so I’m aiming to be 150lbs by 4th July. I would not be able to lose that much weight anyway. Goal weight is 129 lbs.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Why quinoa? Don't get me wrong....I love quinoa and my wife and I have been eating since way before it was "cool"...but it has pretty much the same calories as rice. It has a bit more nutrition in the way of protein and fiber, but calories are pretty much the same if that's what you're worried about.

You’re right it does have similar calories but totally different make up. Well abit more protein and fibre which makes it more filling so I can get satisfied on less.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Don’t worry there’s NO way I’m aiming for that much. Currently I weigh 154-155 lbs so I’m aiming to be 150lbs by 4th July. I would not be able to lose that much weight anyway. Goal weight is 129 lbs.

awesome!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! I'M ROOTING FOR YA!