to all who think bananas and potatoes are BAD....

Options
c2sky
c2sky Posts: 487 Member
Read this article from Runner's world about the wonderful benefits of potassium for runners, with a yummy soup recipe at the end.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-300--8955-1-1X2X3-3,00.html

The article talks about having bananas and water at the end of a marathon. Well, what about potatoes? Harder to supply but twice the postassium.

I love that MFP let's us know how much postassium we're getting!

Now you can enjoy those wonderful foods, guilt free.

Replies

• Bighead951
    Options
    Pringles are made from potatoes, and I usually have a serving of them with a sandwich after I hit the gym. Pringles are the ultimate post workout food :D
  • c2sky
    Options
    Pringles are made from potatoes, and I usually have a serving of them with a sandwich after I hit the gym. Pringles are the ultimate post workout food :D

:laugh:
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are my favorite food. I would live on them for forever if it was physically possible. haha
  • pictureperfect101
    Options
    i dont get why people think they are bad?? are they fattening or something.............

guess what im eating tomorrow............BAKED POTATO!!
  • ClintSwart
    Options
    I love bananas post r
  • ClintSwart
    Options
    I love bananas post run, alot of times Ill go for prunes first though as there is alot more potassium. Mmm either!
  • kristenk0826
    Options
    i love bananas. that and a gatorade is all i need for a quick energy boost. i used to drink a LOT of energy drinks (gee, wonder why i have a kangaroo pouch) but i've replaced it.. and really, the banana is more beneficial.
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Nothing like a PBJ with banana on potato bread.. Love it.. Throw in some fluff for the instant sugar kick and you have a hell of a post workout snack.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I love bananas post run, alot of times Ill go for prunes first though as there is alot more potassium. Mmm either!

interesting, had no idea prunes had a higher potassium level...and I actually like them!
  • c2sky
    Options
    There are some people and ads on this site, that say bananas and potatoes will keep you from losing weight but cause they're high glycemic. So I was really happy to find this article.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    <3 potassium

I track it in my diary to make sure I get enough. I get a lot from tomatoes, milk, spinach, and soy.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Many old school pro cyclist carry a bag of cooked red potato’s on their long rides and races for energy and nutrients for replenishment and repair. Healthy, easy to eat, cheap, and a great convenient source of energy.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I didn't know so many people ran a marathon everyday... interesting.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I didn't know so many people ran a marathon everyday... interesting.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Bananas and Potatoes (I have never been fond of potatoes) do have some good nutrients, but I can think of many other vegetables or fruits that have the same, if not more potassium and other nutrients I would rather have without the starchiness and the glycemic index load...............

Spinach has more potassium than bananas and brocolli and carrots are just under bananas. i would rather have those foods any day compared to a banana that send my blood sugar soaring sky high.
  • c2sky
    Options
    Bananas and Potatoes (I have never been fond of potatoes) do have some good nutrients, but I can think of many other vegetables or fruits that have the same, if not more potassium and other nutrients I would rather have without the starchiness and the glycemic index load...............

Spinach has more potassium than bananas and brocolli and carrots are just under bananas. i would rather have those foods any day compared to a banana that send my blood sugar soaring sky high.

That's true, but replacing those glycogen stores in your muscles is not a bad thing. I'm not diabetic, and I don't have a problem with blood sugar, and I eat all those other foods you mentioned too. I just am pretty tired of hearing people knock 'em. If you have a blood sugar problem, then maybe you don't want to eat them. But they are perfectly fine as part of a balanced meal plan.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Hire a good Registered Dietician, with an up to date knowledge of sports nutrition. Once I did this I stopped being "afraid" I was eating all the wrong foods. I learned about timing, when to eat high and low glycemic foods and most importantly, how many calories per day I should be having for my weight loss and muscle building goals.

You've got to do what works for you. But as for me, I run. Therefore I will enjoy my occasional banana and potato.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Bravo c2sky!
  • sgrinavi
    sgrinavi Posts: 80
    Options
    .... Therefore I will enjoy my occasional banana and potato.

Ya, everything in moderation... pass the chocolate
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    We had homemade potato chips for dinner last night with banana bread for dessert! Yummy :bigsmile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like potatoes but don't eat them much because of the carbs and calories. I LOATHE bananas with a passion. They are just plain nasty (to me). You can get plenty of potassium from other sources.