Pain in hip area

Options
Hi folks,

I've done some remarkable things with MFP - I've dropped over 270 pounds, from 444 to 180 at my lowest. (I got one measurement once, after a day of being sick of 174, which I mark as my low but honestly I think it's inaccurate.)

Unfortunately about a month ago I started having some pretty bad pain in my right hip and it has really slowed me down. I don't know how it happened, it just started. Regular walking for average periods of time (20-25 minutes) doesn't seem to effect it, though I feel it toward the end, but any attempt to run (you know, getting into a running stride) and it flairs very fast. It feels like it goes from the inside of my hip, through the buttocks and up to the lower back.

I can only recall feeling like this once before, when I fell on stairs and ended on my coccyx, which had a similar sort of pain, but I can't recall any moment I could have done it.

I can control the pain with ibuprofen, but it doesn't stop it. If it had only been a week or two I wouldn't have worried but it's been a solid month. I'm still trying to run and walk as much as I can, and thus far I've kept up my goals on my Apple Watch (435 day streak of hitting all my fitness goals daily), but it is getting harder and I just feel like I'm losing motivation because of it. I definitely feel like my fitness goals are slipping - walks that would have been easy are getting harder and taking longer.

I've also been retaining a lot more water. I feel it terribly in my legs. I've tried taking a potassium supplement and a water pill to try to reduce that, but it hasn't helped.

It also has me eating bad. Some weeks before the pain started I tried increasing my calories somewhat, from the strict 1300-range to going up toward 1500, trying to moderate my eating to be less aggressive. I've gained back about 20 to be around 200. This really has me frustrated and depressed, and I find myself comfort eating and I'm scared.

Has anyone ever experienced a pain like this? What was it like for you and how can I treat it?

I do have a doctors appointment coming up, but it's not for a few more weeks, and I'm still just establishing with this doctor so asking for pain pills is probably out, not that I want that. I want it fixed so I can get back to running and get down to my final goals.

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Replies

• Lark13
    Lark13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This sounds a lot like hip tendentious. Mine flares whenever I increase my running distance or intensity too quickly, and it takes forever for it to settle down once inflamed. If your doctor has any solutions, I would love to hear them.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,988 Member
    Options
    Go to a physiotherapist.

I'm currently working with my physiotherapist to fix my hip and lower back issues.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I would stop the high impact excercise (running) and try and do some lower impact like swimming and gentle stretching. Until you get your diagnosis you can't know the best treatment for this. But hip/joint pain is often aggravated by high impact exercise. The water retention could be due to inflammation around the injured area.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

ETA: Amazing work on the weight loss and fitness. You are an inspiration.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Try to see a sports physio. A general doctor is unlikely to be able to isolate the cause. In the mean time, try this hip stretch a few times a day. Also concentrate on keeping your lower abs pulled in while you run, to prevent excess rotation that can cause pain like that. Walking is perfectly fine though. :+1:
  • KarelyM
    KarelyM Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm currently having the same issues. It started a few months ago and just two weeks ago decided to see a chiropractor. I have been doing CrossFit for about seven years and from that, and years of not stretching or doing much mobility work, has caught up to me. The symptoms are the same as yours. Working with the chiro for two weeks has really made a difference. I have slowed down with doing so much heavy weights and am doing LOTS of stretching and mobility work. I do before and after a workout. Even with running, it would hurt afterwards but yesterday I really stretched my hamstrings (since I have been told are very tight) and my hip did not bother me. Try doing more mobility/stretching movements. I have also been to Arrosti for some of my other issues and they are AMAZING...if you can, make an appointment with them. Hope it helps. And congrats on your weight loss.
  • dm01234_1
    dm01234_1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Be sure to see a doctor. I'm not a doctor but consider searching on Piriformis Syndrome.

That said, when I first began running I had something similar to what you describe and found a strong program of foam following my glutes resolved the issue. Still happens on rare occasion today when I take a break from running. I roll the glutes for about a week and problem solved.

NOT saying this is you - just sharing my experience.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Does it feel like muscle/tendon pain or bone/joint pain?
  • saintstryfe
    saintstryfe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lark13 wrote: »
    This sounds a lot like hip tendentious. Mine flares whenever I increase my running distance or intensity too quickly, and it takes forever for it to settle down once inflamed. If your doctor has any solutions, I would love to hear them.

I'll relay them once I go.
  • saintstryfe
    saintstryfe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Go to a physiotherapist.

I'm currently working with my physiotherapist to fix my hip and lower back issues.

As soon as I can under my insurance if the doctor thinks it best.
    I would stop the high impact excercise (running) and try and do some lower impact like swimming and gentle stretching. Until you get your diagnosis you can't know the best treatment for this. But hip/joint pain is often aggravated by high impact exercise. The water retention could be due to inflammation around the injured area.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

ETA: Amazing work on the weight loss and fitness. You are an inspiration.

Hopefully I'll have access to a pool shortly to do that. Thank you for the compliment!
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Try to see a sports physio. A general doctor is unlikely to be able to isolate the cause. In the mean time, try this hip stretch a few times a day. Also concentrate on keeping your lower abs pulled in while you run, to prevent excess rotation that can cause pain like that. Walking is perfectly fine though. :+1:

It's just frustrating because to get the same calorie burn takes twice more longer.
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Does it feel like muscle/tendon pain or bone/joint pain?

More joint, I think.
    dm01234_1 wrote: »
    Be sure to see a doctor. I'm not a doctor but consider searching on Piriformis Syndrome.

That said, when I first began running I had something similar to what you describe and found a strong program of foam following my glutes resolved the issue. Still happens on rare occasion today when I take a break from running. I roll the glutes for about a week and problem solved.

NOT saying this is you - just sharing my experience.

Any info on foam rolling? I know nothing on it.
    KarelyM wrote: »
    I'm currently having the same issues. It started a few months ago and just two weeks ago decided to see a chiropractor. I have been doing CrossFit for about seven years and from that, and years of not stretching or doing much mobility work, has caught up to me. The symptoms are the same as yours. Working with the chiro for two weeks has really made a difference. I have slowed down with doing so much heavy weights and am doing LOTS of stretching and mobility work. I do before and after a workout. Even with running, it would hurt afterwards but yesterday I really stretched my hamstrings (since I have been told are very tight) and my hip did not bother me. Try doing more mobility/stretching movements. I have also been to Arrosti for some of my other issues and they are AMAZING...if you can, make an appointment with them. Hope it helps. And congrats on your weight loss.

Thank you, I'll clarify with the doctor about those.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Ok, if it’s joint pain I think better to see doctor, less likely to resolve on own.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Definitely see an ortho/sports therapist if possible. I’ve had hip bursitis, and hip impingement. First was overuse and cleared up with nsaids and rest/low impact for a while. The second was months of pt, dry needling, mobility work, and strengthening glutes. It’s still there, making heavy squats and too much high impact a no-go, but I’m not interested in surgery.

Mobility work will likely help—I find my hips are always happier when I do the stretches and basic exercises from GMB Elements (online course).
  • RunJosh86
    RunJosh86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue a few years ago. I could walk just fine, but any attempt at running and my hip would start hurting like crazy. I never went to a doctor, though I probably should have, but after some time off, my pain went away. However, the pain will creep up every now and then, though not at the intensity it was. I also do not run as often as I once did.
  • didans
    didans Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'd take it easy for a while and definitely see an ortho. I had bursitis in my right hip a couple years ago. It took several months to fully heal. It would flare up with the slightest workout. It finally went away, but only after I completely stopped working out.