Walking

I'm just beginning to walk daily. I don't feel safe walking where I live and the nearest park is 12 miles away. I've been doing the 3-mile walk at home videos online. In your opinion, are they as effective as actual outdoors walking?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    They're better than sitting on the couch! I don't think walking in place can compare to walking outside, but I'm not concerned about my safety and I can take the bus to safer places if I am concerned.

There are lots of other types of exercise you can do at home with things you already have around the house. Resistance work and/or body weight exercise is good. So is yoga and calisthenics, or dancing.

With that said, weight loss is more about the food. Learn to log food accurately and stay within calories for weight loss.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    I walk in circles in our dining room since our table so tiny the area was too big..We stuck the table where the kitchen cooking area is.
    I also walk back y forth down our hallway toddler trying to trip me lol. I like walking indoors can speed walk to slow walk with air conditioner going! Plus no need to lug a ton of baby gear outside then fight son to dogs trying to go down the block.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I love walking workouts at home. I do them mixed with other various You Tube workouts. I will always prefer to be out in nature and the outdoor trail I walk has a lot of hills, but I think you will 100% benefit from at-home walking videos.
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    I know this doesn't really belong here but how do you log the youtube video workouts? I struggle to find a category for this.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Walking 2.0 slow pace is how I record it
  • savannahs21
    Thank you JRsLateInLifeMom
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Some of Leslie sansome vidros include a lot of extra moves do they generate higher burn and fitness than regular walking.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,730 Member
    I log Leslie Sansome as low impact aerobics. They do use more muscles than just walking.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    A friend of mine bought an aerobic step from the local thrift store. She found some great beginners step videos online and loves it.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited May 2019
    That sounds wonderful yukfoo like Jane Fonda worthy.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,464 Member
    Kudos to you for starting! Sounds like you’re in a great place! Yes, there are other possibilities to explore. Or not. Walking will improve your health, and hopefully, your happiness.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    I'm pretty happy with walking inside. There are a lot of reasons that on most days I can't get out, so most of my steps are from inside walks, fast and slow ones. I have come to understand that the more time I spend walking, the more calories I can eat! I like that part.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    To answer the question about whether the indoor walking videos are as effective as walking outside, you will use more muscles and possibly burn more calories outside because the terrain is more varied and uneven, especially if you are on a dirt path or hiking trail. But it doesn’t mean walking inside is ineffective! It sounds like an excellent solution for you.
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    StargazerB wrote: »
    I think the walk at home videos are a great way to get started on your fitness journey.

Thank you sooo much for posting this 💐

My only exercise is walking outdoors. I'll soon be adding a few dailys laps of our communal swimming pool too but I was wondering to myself a few days ago, what will I do when autumn/winter comes and I can't get outside as much?

Now I have a solution! I didn't know that indoors walking videos were a thing 🙄 I've just found loads online and have bookmarked them in preparation 😁
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    @savannahs21 I track them on my garmin as "cardio" and then my garmin transfers them to MFP and it shows up as "aerobics, general"
  • savannahs21
    Thank you!