Schedules for beginners?

Options
How many days a week is optimal to workout and for how long? I am trying to do 30-45 minutes. 20 at least of aerobic exercise on a treadmill then i'm currently using the app daily workouts free and trying to do 10 more minutes of cardio and I pick a few minutes of another more targeted area.

However as I just started getting intense about it....I hurt. Should I break or keep pushing through the soreness? I was going to try to get at least 4-5 days in.

My main goal is to lose about 15/20 more pounds (after recent 60lb loss) tone and then strengthen.

Thanks!

Replies

• phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'd just push through...oh, congrats on 60lb loss.

I just restarted working out..just completed 1st week,,,2hrs bike and 30 min weights...my soreness has pretty much gone away now. Like you mentioned about started getting intense, Me too...keep heart rate in 70 to 80% range.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you’re really sore, it’s okay to take a rest day earlier than planned. You could also try a walk instead to burn some calories without the intensity.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    There's no one answer to this.

People just starting exercise should (IMO, ideally) phase it in gradually, with rest days in between, then gradually increase duration, frequency, or intensity to keep it challenging but energizing (not fatiguing) for the rest of your day. Getting over-fatigued is counter-productive for weight loss, because it tends to make us rest more, and do less, in the rest of our day, wiping out some of the calorie benefits of the exercise.

The amount or intensity of cardio one can do without it being "too much" is a function of fitness level, which increases over time as you stick with it, and of how much time you can devote while still maintaining good overall life balance (enough time left for work, family, chores, other important hobbies, etc.).

For strength training, pretty much everyone will benefit from at least one day (two sleeps) between working the same muscle groups hard. It will be more effective to use a standard, well-designed strength program (bodyweight or weights) rather than just "doing stuff".

There are some here, including beginner programs (it includes more than just lifting freeweights, despite the title):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

If you're very, very sore, consider taking a day where you do some mild movement (like a casual walk or easy bike ride, or some yoga/stretching), before resuming a normal alternate-day (at most) strength training for the same muscle groups.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    There is no right answer to this... everyone's "beginner" is slightly different. IMO, the goal should not be a set amount of time or a set number of days per week. It should be consistency. Do what you can when you can and go from there.

As for your soreness... it's to be expected. I'd suggest doing something less intense on the sore days - it will help keep you on schedule and will help with the soreness.
  • wyeth84
    wyeth84 Posts: 35 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I would say every other day (especially if you are in pain) or definitely not targeting the same muscle group two days in a row. As others have suggested, I'd alternate weight/cardio with something very low impact such as walking and stretching to help you loosen up the sore muscles and get rid of lactic acid. For the same reason , I always try to avoid training (I lift weights and/or use resistance bands) just before bed: walking it all off all day definitely helps me not being sore the following - and the next - day. Also, drink tons and tons of water to help with muscle soreness
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    “Beginner” can mean a lot of things. I suggest starting at 20-30 min 3x week, then walking or basic yoga in between days. Increase time by 5-10 min every 4 weeks. After a few months, add another day. Not a fan of beginners “pushing through “ to extreme because it can lead to injury and discouragement. Many of us have to push hard enough just get started. Find a schedule you can stick with. You will know when you can/should increase and push harder.