Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It really depends on, how much your eating (How reliable ) and how much you are burning ( again How reliable)
    The bigger the deficit, the quicker the weight loss .

Please stop promoting overly aggressive weight loss techniques. There are many adverse effects to rapid weight loss if a person doesn’t have a lot of weight to lose.

Can you correctly identify the exact timing of when the adverse effect start to occur?
    Your also suggesting that the OP does not know when to stop.
    Not only that, but the advice affects doesn't occur because of lack of food, ( well death and organ failure) but hair and nails comes from lack of nutrients.

You need energy (calories) to grow hair and nails and other basic functions. It would stand to reason that when calories are insufficient, the body will slow down or cease altogether basic functions to conserve energy...it's not just a lock of nutrients.

Does hair and and nails grow, when one is in a coma?

Are you suggesting that cals are insufficient when in a coma? If the calories were not, the hospital would be in trouble. Typically the person in a coma would be fed to maintain weight. BMR is maintenance when one is in a coma, and has no relevance to what is sufficient when one is not (BMR could be, or even less than BMR, depending on what a reasonable weight loss goal is and how sedentary one is).
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    As for the OP, I don't use the MFP calculation because I like a consistent daily target, so I used a TDEE calculator to set my own goal that includes exercise.
  • snuff15ee
    snuff15ee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Initially 1, but now I try to eat back a percentage because with my now high activity level in the gym I was burning off a lot of calories and leaving myself in too large of a deficit. I dropped 33 pounds in just over 3 months (212 ->179). I thought it was awesome at the time, but looking back it was too aggressive and it cost me some muscle tissue. A few days ago I took 39 days worth of data samples from my weigh-in and calorie tracking to calculate my actual TDEE over that period. I calculated my TDEE to be 2920 calories, which was higher than I was expecting. I was also surprised to learn during those 39 days I was averaging 1786 calories a day and burning what I estimated as 400-500 in the gym five days a week. So I was in the ballpark of 1200-1300 net daily calories. I've always been told when losing weight that a 20%-25% deficit is a good slope and anything over 30% is reckless. I should have been around 2340 net kcals/day, but here I am hanging out over 50%. Looking back I should have been plotting my weight loss slope and calculated my TDEE earlier because I would have adjusted my intake the leaner I got. I read an article recently the Apple watch averages about a 40% error, so I take 60% of my calculated active calories and eat back 50-60% of that number. I'm done losing weight and going into maintenance mode.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    movgrl1 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I don't eat any of my exercise calories. The estimates can be off and when I do eat my exercise calories I find myself going over or stressing about it, so I just don't eat them. I have them turned off, so I don't even see them. I try not to eat all of my calories. I try to leave ~200-300, I figure my accuracy can't be spot on when logging, so these allow me to account for that. I will say, I don't stress about leaving calories though, If I'm having a hungry day I may eat up to my calorie limit. I've found the best thing for me is to set it and then basically forget it until I reach my short term goals and reset my calories and macros.

Sure estimate can be wrong. There are ways to validate them though. But you know you burn SOME calories, right? So choosing zero is the one number that is definitively wrong.

Yes, I'm well versed in CICO. I've met with trainers, nutritionists, and dietitians, and they all recommended not eating the exercise calories. Yes, I have a Fitbit that estimates my calories burned. I just use my exercise calories as a sort of padding towards my deficit. I have a training plan from the personal trainer, I've lost 43 pounds in 4 months, losing at a decent pace, without binge-ing, or feeling deprived.

So your trainer and dietitian told you to use the MFP goal but not use it as MFP intends you to?

I'll add that 43lbs in 4 months is quite an aggressive rate of loss and would be undereating for the majority of people, so what you're saying is kind of supporting the argument that you should eat back exercise calories. Since you seem to be working with a team of professionals I'll assume it is fine for you, but most people aren't and should not be losing anywhere near as fast.

Congrats on your progress BTW :smile:

Thank you! :smiley: No they recommended MFP as a quick and easy way to log my food, but I don't use the goal it sets. I use calculations which takes into account the Mifflin-St. Jeor Equation to calculate my BMR, then I calculate my deficit and macros using the equation/guidelines they gave me for the macros. I have the premium version of MFP so I can override its goals and put in my custom ones. (I'm a dorky accountant, so I have spreadsheets that now do all these equations and math for me haha). The calculators are available online and I found free web guides to setting up the macros that actually explained why we set them up that way, vs. continuing to pay someone to set them up for me.

It's only 2.6 pounds a week, so it's not that aggressive. We set it up that I should lose .65-1% of body weight per week, as long as I stay within that range, I'm good. If after 3-4 weeks my progress isn't where it should be, either losing too much or too little, I make tiny adjustments. We're focusing on fat loss, while minimizing muscle loss, so my workouts are a good mix of strength training and cardio.

I'm not saying that not eating them is the only way to go. I think weight loss, while at its core is CICO, is very individualized; every person has to find what works for them. My mom doesn't count calories, she does Keto and has lost a good amount of weight. Some people mentioned here they ate them and lost, some didn't and lost. I think at the end of the day you have to remember that none of us gained this weight quickly, we won't lose it that quickly and we have to find what works for us individually so this can truly be a lifestyle change, not another failed "diet." So take the time to experiment on eating them or not eating them. Take 2-4 weeks to see how your body responds and do what works best for you!

See, the bolded is the key though. You ARE eating your exercise calories - they are already included by those calculators. They use TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) which includes your expected intentional exercise. We are saying that if you use the MFP calculation (which is NEAT, not TDEE, and does not include exercise yet) you should eat back your exercise calories.

If person A has a TDEE of 2000 cals and burns 200 cals per day at the gym, and wants to lose 1 lb per week, a TDEE calculator will give them a calorie goal of 1500 calories, MFP will give them a calorie goal of 1300 cals. MFP expects them to log their exercise (200 cals) whenthey do it and eat those calories back.

I'm guessing based on what you're saying that you are currently 250+lbs, but many people simply don't have that much weight to lose. For the majority of dieters, especially female dieters, consistently maintaining a 1,000+ deficit is risking under-eating. A female TDEE of greater than 2300 cals is just not that common.

Mifflin St Jeor is the calculator MFP uses, just to clarify.

I think @movgrl1 will be changing how she calculates once she gets closer to here goal. ALL the calculators are off at the margins of Obese and Underweight. So I'm willing to bet my Little Debbies that she'll be eating exercise calories once she gets within 20-30 pounds of a healthy BMI.

I under ate for a while too. All was well, till it wasn't.

We almost all learn the hard way.

Ah, is that one the BMR calculator, not TDEE? Shoot. I get them confused. Sorry @movgrl1

It's both. It's typically combined with an activity multiplier (often made easier on internet sites by asking about number of days and intensity of exercise).

A couple of examples: http://www.leighpeele.com/mifflin-st-jeor-calculator and https://jscalc.io/calc/EfwfPAiiqKMB3yH5

To add to this side topic of terms used - I've seen several TDEE calc's use the term BMR incorrectly instead of the correct TDEE.

So I'm not surprised when someone says they are like taking a deficit off their BMR or similar, as it appears in this case.
  • speckledlefty
    speckledlefty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't track my exercise calories. I do however, have a higher calorie/macro allotment on days I train, determined by working with a nutritionist and trainer to figure out what those numbers should be. It's simple and consistent and really works for me.
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I only eat any of mine back if I do a significant amount of exercise and burn more than half of the calories I eat for that day.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I only eat any of mine back if I do a significant amount of exercise and burn more than half of the calories I eat for that day.

How many calories are you eating each day? I’m betting 1200?

Regardless of the number only eating calories back if you burn half of what you plan to eat seems unnecessarily aggressive. How long have you been doing this?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Not all bodies are the same.
    Not every weight loss method will work with everybody.
    Just because you did or did not eat your exercise calories back, does not mean it will work for every body else.
    Just because MFP tells you something, doesn't mean that its setup correctly
    You can setup MFP that you exercise, or that you do not exercise. -- I set it up, that I do not exercise

If I use the MFP method I will get 1900 calories to lose 1 Lb per week. If I go on a 30 mile bike ride, which I do regularly, I will burn in the neighborhood of 1,000 calories leaving my net intake at 900 calories. You find that to be healthy and acceptable. Are you pro-ana? Exercise Bulimic?

As to your previous coma question, patients in a coma are fed BMR calories...Do you know what that is?
  • Davo312
    Davo312 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You’ve done really well..good on you! I think the advantage with calorie counting is that you can still ear a balanced diet and have some treats..I still like those!
  • Davo312
    Davo312 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi I only use my exercise calories when I go just over my limit.