Want to get into hiking... but

Options
withchaco
withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
I'm scared of ticks! Any tips on how to get those buggers away from me?

Anything else a beginner should be aware of?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Wear pants? Boots? high socks? I dont know, we dont have ticks in my area.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cassyparker
    Options
    try wearing a hat and spraying clothing with a good bug repellent. That and have someone check your hair for them after your done :)
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Can't advise on the ticks, but I'd suggest finding a good walking group in your area. www.meetup.com might have one locally to you - that's the site my group uses.

Other than that, get yourself some decent boots (by that I dont mean expensive, just well fitting, and waterproof), and wear them in round the house or on short walks round town before you go hiking in them. I guess gaters would keep out the ticks.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    High content lvl of Deet on clothing.

I live in New England and we have ticks EVERYWHERE in the woods around here. I always carry a travel size bug spray with a 85% Deet rating bug spray. Keeps both ticks and pesky, just as dangerous misqoutos away!
  • amyelizbradley
    amyelizbradley Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    AVON has an awesome product for fleas/ ticks/ mosquitos/ etc. that you spray on and it also has a sunscreen; doesn't smell bad either! Very effective; lots of bugs where I live-

Hiking is worth the risk though; you get to see amazing things most people don't!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I go hiking a lot in the Mountains in Western NC and have never had a tick on me. I would say as long as you don't sit down or hang out in one spot too long, you will be ok. I'm usually more worried about snakes.