Overwhelmed...diet?

Options
kristiannanw
kristiannanw Posts: 59 Member
I'm extremely overwhelmed with trying to figure out what kind of exercise I need, best diet etc. Ive been doing calorie restriction and only recently got into more exercise. I'm contemplating purchasing beach body on demand because i feel like it might help me by telling me what to do.

Is there a true correlation between body type and diet? If so i'm an endomorph. I have a very pear shaped body. I gain weight easily and hold fat in my belly and hips.

I also have pcos and insulin resistance which makes me super susceptible to sugar cravings.

I mostly just want to figure out a good diet to stick to because i'm not eating well enough, consistently falling short on cals and my diet is not varied or nutritious enough. Any good books or apps?

Replies

• SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Follow the calories MFP gives you, although from what I've heard you might need to adjust around due to the PCOS. I have seen others post on the success board and have mentioned having PCOS, you could always go searching on the boards and see some. And for exercise, pick something you like! If you are looking at Beach Body, you might want to check out Fitness Blender - they have a website and YouTube channel and all of their videos are free!
  • Mandy165
    Mandy165 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I joined WW, and use MFP as a secondary. Being accountable to both and tracking in both seems to work for me. I’m just finished off week #3, WI tomorrow to see if I can improve on the 11lbs lost already.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Losing weight with PCOS doesn't have to be difficult. I've heard a lot of women blame weight issues on this condition like they are powerless against it. Truth is that a calorie deficit still works for weight loss regardless of any health condition.

I have PCOS with IR and have lost 47 pounds. I tried low carb before and did lose weight but it wasn't sustainable for me. I currently eat a higher carb diet filled with a lot of veggies, grains and some fruit. This has worked very well for me. My point isn't to sell my way of eating but to say that it really comes down to calories in the end.

If you haven't started to weigh your food then I highly recommend it. With PCOS you may need to be a little more diligent with your deficit. As far as nutrition do you not eat veggies or fruit? I don't know any apps but maybe start adding in one new veggie each week and watch some videos on good ways to prepare them.
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    If you want to start eating better... WHOLE foods. Nothing processed or minimally processed. Healthy good fatty meats and veggies. Low carb would be ideal since you are insulin resistant too. Not keto (unless you want to try it), just lower carb than a normal S.A.D. diet.
    Exercise is something I'm still trying to figure out, but anything that you'll stick with really. Basically the same for a diet. Anything you know you will stick with whether if it's walking, beachbody videos, strength training etc.

I also have PCOS and I'm insulin resistant ANd I have hypothyroidism. I've been keto now for coming up on a year. My weight loss has been slow, but it's been happening and I'm down 60lbs as of today. I still have more to lose. It can happen for women like us. It might not happen as fast, but don't let it discourage you and try not to compare yourselves to others. You are on your own path and while there may be some bumps in the road... you KEEP GOING.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Diet doesn’t have to be complicated, and making a huge overhaul is likely not to be sustainable for you. What I suggest is log everything for a week, eating whatever you enjoy, then take a look at where you are now and how you can make small changes with a big payoff. This can be food, situations, or even people. You might want to plan ahead to avoid making poor choices when you are tired getting off work, for example, or choose to see a movie instead of eating out with a certain friend.

If you want a more varied diet, make small changes. Challenge yourself to pick up one new fruit or vegetable (that is, one you don’t usually eat) each time you make a grocery trip, and learn how to prepare it at least two different ways by Googling. You may not fall in love with everything but you will expand your repertoire. Doesn’t have to be fruit and veg, could be a new fish, whole grain, or nut, depending on what your diet is lacking.

For PCOS and insulin resistance you will be better off eating lower carb, but it doesn’t have to be keto. Just limit sweets and starches moderately - I’m diabetic and do well on no more than 150g net carbs a day, but everyone is different.

Re: sugar cravings. I do better when I don’t keep hyper sweet foods in the house. I also have fewer sweet cravings when I get enough fruit in my diet. Fruit doesn’t spike my blood glucose in the same way added sugar does, because the fiber in the fruit slows digestion.