470lbs and need to change my life.

Options
Im 40 and starting to really hurt with my knee's and back. I downloaded this app 4 days ago because I need to change. I have a soon to be wife and 4 children that I would love to go out and spent more time with. just simple things like going to the cinema to watch a family film would be fantastic.

Im hoping to find the knowledge and encouragement from mfp. I do have support from family also. Just feels a big task/journey to start on my own and im abit shy to goto things like Slimming world/weight watchers groups with my size, So hoping a Online community/people will be the kind of thing I need.

Replies

• lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have taken the first step, so way to go! Take it slow. I think if you make small changes to start you will feel encouraged to continue. The reason some people fail at making these life changes is they jump in too fast at the start. You can't go from not exercising at all to going to the gym 3 hours a day. You get the point. Start by going for walks- track your steps. Set a goal for how many steps you walk each day and as you grow stronger, increase that. This is also something you can do with your family. Diet is the most important factor in weight loss, so have a calorie goal that makes sense for you. Track your food every day- I know it seems tedious, but you'll get used to it and it's amazing how much easier it is to stay on track when you actually see what you're consuming.

Everyone here is great and supportive. Keep checking in and let us know how you're doing!
  • john4lessmfp
    john4lessmfp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the comments and also the link, I have a lot to learn. but yes thinking of small goals 1st instead of the end goal seems more achievable. Any adds to mfp friends would be welcome if not for support just to spy on your food diary's for idea's :blush:
  • victordudemaine
    victordudemaine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey John. I'm on my way I hope. The tracking part is a big deal to make sure you keep yourself on track. I have done what I can with my exercise. I walk, I don't run. I don't play sports yet. But i'm walking. Set a target that you feel you can hit every day for the next 10 days. And do it. There have been days when I get home, and at 1130 pm I get on a tread mill for 15 minutes. Just to say I had a bit of exercise in a day. You can do it!
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, Enter your food diary daily and keep tracking your calories, try to do small exercises. Keep active yourself. All the best!! Feel free to add me :)

For a Newbie check this link http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    please remember that doing anything is better than doing nothing. you have taken a step and that is awesome. all you can do is move forward, and i know you can do it!
  • Roy1C
    Roy1C Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi John, you have a friend here. Message me anytime. Have you considered the Keto diet. I’ve been on it fo 45 days and have lost about 7% of my body weight already. Keep in touch. - Roy
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi there and welcome to the community! You've come to the perfect place for support, knowledge and lessons learned. It sounds like you are in this for the right reasons and being healthy for your family is one of the best motivators! I have lost 117 pounds, over half of that in a little over a year. It is absolutely doable if you put your mind to it and focus on the rewards instead of what you are giving up. Best of luck to you!
  • john4lessmfp
    Options
    Thank you for the motivation
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey, John!!😊
  • john4lessmfp
    Options
    thank you :)
  • jessalittlemore
    jessalittlemore Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Welcome, John!

I started my current weight loss journey at 370 lbs., for the same reason as you; escalating back and knee pain and feeling like I'm being held back from living my best life. I live for the day I'll be able to walk and stand pain free. Just keep your bright future in your mind and you can do it! I wish you the best on your journey!
  • o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Hi John 👋🏻

Just wanted to say well done for taking the first step to a healthier you! I’m sure you’ll find lots of encouragement and support in the MFP community. Best of luck, you can do this! 🤗
  • filmoreslim160
    filmoreslim160 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Hi John,

We didn't gain it all in 1 day, so we cannot lose it all in one day. Starting today ... just eat slightly less than yesterday. Each day then will be a small victory and over time you will win the War against Weight.

Best

Tri
  • QueenBee0205
    QueenBee0205 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi John and welcome!! Kudos to you for taking the first steps to a healthier lifestyle. You didnt gain it all in one day and you wont lose it all in one day either. There are so many people (myself included) that are in very similar situations and you should be proud to start your journey !
  • WeighInn
    WeighInn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have 100 to lose and have been dealing with the same 100 since 2011. I’m over it.

One day at a time, this weight will come off and stay off. Track what you eat and drink, and be honest. It’s simple, but not always easy.

Best wishes!
  • john4lessmfp
    Options
    Thank you all for the adds, I'm finding night times the hardest with the cravings, But this is the time I normally binge while watching TV or a sneaky go on the ps4.