Intermittent fasting after a baby

Options
Hello everyone! Thanks in advance for reading and your advice. It’s a semi vent and any recommendations are welcome!
I had a baby 6 weeks ago. I was 125lbs pre pregnancy and gained a lot of fat. I was 201 lbs when I stepped on the scale right before giving birth. To be honest, I ate really bad and I take full responsibility of how lazy and impatient I was during my pregnancy.
Anywho, I went down to 177lbs was Igor after birth. Then 170 lbs. I’m stuck at 170 lbs.
I’ve never done intermittent fasting but by doing some research, it makes more sense since I’m 32 years old. Calorie deficit diet isn’t working for me because I feel like my metabolism is not as good as how it was when I was in my 20s.
My goal is to gain muscle mass and possibly compete at a physique competition and inspire other moms who are also struggling with postpartum body.
At this point, I can only do little workout at home like with a kettlebell. It’s the second day doing intermittent fasting, lost 3lbs already. I’m very hungry. My question is does it get better? Is it true that hunger goes away after a while?
Thanks again!

Replies

• nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If you're breast feeding, you will want to check first with your health care team about anything that affects you nutritionally, right?

That said, all weight loss works by creating a calorie deficit in your body. Some people find special rules/guidelines like intermittent fasting, keto, being vegan, eating no added sugar, etc etc make it easier to achieve a calorie deficit. But it is entirely possible to do any of those plans and still not be in a deficit, therefore not lose weight. So if intermittent fasting leaves you too hungry you could try to get into a deficit some other way.

I am 62 and when I stay in a calorie deficit (per food I weigh and log on MFP) I lose weight. I don't think age has as much to do with metabolism as we sometimes hear it does.

Thank you very much for your response! I appreciate it.
    My little one is formula fed and I’m cleared by my physician recently for workouts.
    Thanks again for your insight!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I would certainly talk with your doctor first. IF can affect hormones, and if you are breastfeeding, that is something you definitely want to get that cleared up.

There is no other way to lose weight besides calorie deficit. IF isn't a replacement for calorie restriction. Some people find that doing IF helps them more easily restrict calories than eating all day does. But you still have to eat less than your body burns, regardless of how you do it. Your BMR does reduce slightly with age, but that is accounted for in your calorie reduction. I am 32 and have lost over 30 pounds with calorie counting. There are many people here twice our age or more who have done the same.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Assuming your breastfeeding, watch your milk supply, if it drops, stop. Protein and drinking plenty of water are key when making milk. Apart from that, if it works go for it. I'm 8 weeks post partum and have been just doing deficit (variable because of lack of self control) and it works.
    If your not breastfeeding then it doesn't matter what diet you choose.
  • nomorepuke
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Congrats on your little one. My advice would be to be patient with yourself, it can take quite some time to return back to normal after having a baby. It took me years to lose and build back up, slowly but surely!

Are you breastfeeding? If so I would be careful with doing IF.. it can cause issues with milk supply with some women especially early on (YMMV of course) so perhaps speaking to your doctor or lactation consultant to make sure you are not compromising your supply.

Thank you!
    So true on the breastfeeding! I was never able to produce milk and therefore my baby is formula fed. I went to see a lactating consultant several times, ate special cookies, oatmeal, fenugreek, drank dark beer and did power pumping. None worked.
    I appreciate your input!
  • nomorepuke
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I would certainly talk with your doctor first. IF can affect hormones, and if you are breastfeeding, that is something you definitely want to get that cleared up.

There is no other way to lose weight besides calorie deficit. IF isn't a replacement for calorie restriction. Some people find that doing IF helps them more easily restrict calories than eating all day does. But you still have to eat less than your body burns, regardless of how you do it. Your BMR does reduce slightly with age, but that is accounted for in your calorie reduction. I am 32 and have lost over 30 pounds with calorie counting. There are many people here twice our age or more who have done the same.

Wow! Congrats on your success! I know it takes a lot of hard work patience to lose that much weight.
    I appreciate your input!
  • nomorepuke
    Options
    Assuming your breastfeeding, watch your milk supply, if it drops, stop. Protein and drinking plenty of water are key when making milk. Apart from that, if it works go for it. I'm 8 weeks post partum and have been just doing deficit (variable because of lack of self control) and it works.
    If your not breastfeeding then it doesn't matter what diet you choose.

Great to hear from a mom who also just gave birth as well! Thanks for your encouragement!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    nomorepuke wrote: »
    Congrats on your little one. My advice would be to be patient with yourself, it can take quite some time to return back to normal after having a baby. It took me years to lose and build back up, slowly but surely!

Are you breastfeeding? If so I would be careful with doing IF.. it can cause issues with milk supply with some women especially early on (YMMV of course) so perhaps speaking to your doctor or lactation consultant to make sure you are not compromising your supply.

Thank you!
    So true on the breastfeeding! I was never able to produce milk and therefore my baby is formula fed. I went to see a lactating consultant several times, ate special cookies, oatmeal, fenugreek, drank dark beer and did power pumping. None worked.
    I appreciate your input!

No problem!

I would say it probably takes time for your body to adjust to a new eating schedule especially. Maybe starting off with a shorter fasting window and slowly increasing it can help? There are many great groups on IF and I'm sure someone can offer more advice soon.

Good luck!
  • nomorepuke
    Options

Thank you!
    I appreciate your input!

No problem!

I would say it probably takes time for your body to adjust to a new eating schedule especially. Maybe starting off with a shorter fasting window and slowly increasing it can help? There are many great groups on IF and I'm sure someone can offer more advice soon.

Good luck!

Thank you! I just figured out how to join a group.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't think hunger goes away. It's a continual process of recommitting to your goals. Eat too much, dust yourself off, and commit again. That's my case, fwiw. I lose battles along the way, but overall am winning the war.

The learning that comes from counting calories (and to a much lesser extent) macros- very enlightening.

I don't really even consider what I do as intermittent fasting anymore. I've just found that I'm not hungry in the morning but get VERY hungry in the evening. By pushing breakfast to 10 am or later (I usually wake at 6 to 7 am), lunch to 2 or 3 pm, I find I am more successful at NOT snacking when I'm tired at the end of the day. My weak point is always when I'm tired, at home, and my kids are busting out the ice cream at 9 pm!
  • nomorepuke
    Options
    billkansas wrote: »
    I don't think hunger goes away. It's a continual process of recommitting to your goals. Eat too much, dust yourself off, and commit again. That's my case, fwiw. I lose battles along the way, but overall am winning the war.

The learning that comes from counting calories (and to a much lesser extent) macros- very enlightening.

I don't really even consider what I do as intermittent fasting anymore. I've just found that I'm not hungry in the morning but get VERY hungry in the evening. By pushing breakfast to 10 am or later (I usually wake at 6 to 7 am), lunch to 2 or 3 pm, I find I am more successful at NOT snacking when I'm tired at the end of the day. My weak point is always when I'm tired, at home, and my kids are busting out the ice cream at 9 pm!

Thank you for your response!
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't fast but the first two weeks of calorie counting for me are the hardest. I think it's part my body and part my brain that needs adjustments. Make sure to listen to your body. If fasting is making you feel tired or anything like that, I would stop and maybe just watch calories and exercise portion control. I have a four-year-old daughter and lost weight at a reasonable weight with her. I unfortunately had three miscarriages in a period of 8 months and gained 10 lbs from this. I am back on the wagon after getting an IUD. I am simply counting calories and watching portions. Some days are better than other, but I am easy with myself. You should be as well.
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    smal48 wrote: »
    Congrats on your little one! How is s/he sleeping at night? I only ask because if you’re very tired and sleep deprived you might find dieting now just too difficult and it might be worth waiting until your sleep improves. That said, my youngest is 6 months old and still wakes every two hours so I just had to bite the bullet and diet through the tiredness, but it’s much harder I think and you might want to give yourself a break for another month or so x

Good point here. You may still be healing, depending on you! I know I didn't feel myself for many months after my second. She was also waking up in the night for almost 2 years! I found it easier to control my eating and skip the exercise due to exhaustion. I think I started to diet 6 months post partum. Be kind to yourself, OP. It's only been 6 weeks.
  • mellyi6922
    mellyi6922 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My baby just turned 2 months( my third) and I’ve actually started intermittent fasting. My milk supply actually has been just as good as before I started! The hunger so far as been coming at night a little but it’s only day 5. I suggest drinking Water as that helps and sometimes may be the problem of feeling hungry. Also we tend to grip on to about 5 pounds post pregnancy that slowly goes away, keep that in mind.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting or not your body still requires a deficit to lose weight. Fasting just means eating that deficit in a smaller window. Consult you gp first. Congratulations!
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options

Thank you!
    I appreciate your input!

I had the same experience breastfeeding my first but it went much better with my second (you make more milk with each pregnancy). Big hugs, I found the whole ordeal super stressful. Fed is best :)

I've found with both pregnancies the initial weight drop of fluids and baby is easy but anything left over afterwards is likely fat and you'll need to maintain a deficit to lose. I just stopped breastfeeding my 7 month old and have started IF (14/10) after reading the Obesity Code. Maybe there is something to the whole insulin thing but if nothing else it makes it easier for me to keep my calories under 1500 a day. I need to lose about 20lbs to get to my pre-pregnancy weight. Good luck, feel free to add me as a friend for support!