Self Control Issues

Options
I need to get in a better mind set. For some reason I get it in my head that if I eat one bad thing that the day is for nothing and just go ahead and eat what ever I want instead of just eating the one bad thing and continue with my healthier plan for the day. I feel like my will power really needs help. I really do feel like a drug addict that can't even think about food without wanting to go binge eat everything in sight. If any one has any pointers for me on how I can work with the way I think about food that would be great and appreciated.

Replies

• CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Keeping busy/hobbies, exercise and logging & weighing EVERYTHING definitely help me! As soon as I stop,it’s only a matter of time before I g back to my bad habits of eating everything g I want. It’s not easy,but it can be done!!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    We all struggle with it theirs the hangry days, binge regret days, good days. If I eat something I shouldn’t I add it to my calories tell myself I’ll just walk more,eat more lettuce without dressing,y cut myself a break. Took 2 years to get this mind set. I also allow myself to put food in a Tupperware if I feel full hard since most got brought up to clean your plate. I find myself saying well I’ll do better tomorrow I write it down a few times so I see it . Helps a lot. I keep trying to learn everything I can. Got the serving size is important thing down along with calories.7- 11chips is a serving I used to down a bag. Figure if I eat something I shouldn’t time to steam some 100calorie fish with no salt green beans 15-25calories or eat zucchini noodles 33calories per serving filling I use a $5 Walmart hand held noodle maker add a tsp-tablespoon sauce mix well to coat. Salad I skip dressing add tomato or cucumber or cooked spinach leaves so it’s moist.
    Do your best don’t give up got faith in ya
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Yes I am NovusDies yes I am.
    I do love the zucchini noodles their my favorite wish their was a better pasta makers out there for this tho and sauce that wasn’t 100+ calories for a few spoonfuls! I got the best out there according to everyone the hand held clogs less. On the fish I pour pepper up a storm for some flavor. Trying to keep my calories in check but not easy in 2yrs I have only lost 20lbs so starting this app to figure out how to do better...that’s when I discovered soaking my salads in dressing was not helping me at all. A lot of my foods were higher calories than I thought. I saw the calories on the bag didn’t know how many I needed or serving sizes meant. Since starting this app I finally get a bunch of this stuff more y more my Doctor suggested this. I’m increasing excersice too since I’m almost healed from having my 2yr old...placental abruption from Hell. Any ideas love to hear them especially any that can help Don out.
    Also learned my handful of Tuny M&Ms was equal to a big fish!

I’m a Brunch eater
    Then Dinner
    Then a 8pm meal or snack or nothing.

I was a huge British Tea drinker got myself down to 0-4oz per meal with a tall water y cut out tea time until 8pm.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Yes I am NovusDies yes I am.
    I do love the zucchini noodles their my favorite wish their was a better pasta makers out there for this tho and sauce that wasn’t 100+ calories for a few spoonfuls! I got the best out there according to everyone the hand held clogs less. On the fish I pour pepper up a storm for some flavor. Trying to keep my calories in check but not easy in 2yrs I have only lost 20lbs so starting this app to figure out how to do better...that’s when I discovered soaking my salads in dressing was not helping me at all. A lot of my foods were higher calories than I thought. I saw the calories on the bag didn’t know how many I needed or serving sizes meant. Since starting this app I finally get a bunch of this stuff more y more my Doctor suggested this. I’m increasing excersice too since I’m almost healed from having my 2yr old...placental abruption from Hell. Any ideas love to hear them especially any that can help Don out.
    Also learned my handful of Tuny M&Ms was equal to a big fish!

I’m a Brunch eater
    Then Dinner
    Then a 8pm meal or snack or nothing.

I was a huge British Tea drinker got myself down to 0-4oz per meal with a tall water y cut out tea time until 8pm.

Do you have a medical reason to control your salt intake? For most people it is a non-issue. Does drinking tea "British" mean adding cream and sweetener to it?

What is your weight, age, height, and the activity level you entered into MFP? Also what did you select as a rate of loss?

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Sweetener too much sugar. Had hypertension during every pregnancy.Doctor warned I could develop it permanently to cut out salts as much as possible starting then on.
    175lbs 5”4 old enough to not know what half of everyone saying on here. Got a 20 year old daughter been through Post menopause (going through it a 2nd time now) so old enough I like to not mention it anymore. Activity level I put low but I’m walking around the house for excersice y got a hyper 2yr old that wants mommy to follow him all over the house nonstop on top of housework.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Sweetener too much sugar. Had hypertension during every pregnancy.Doctor warned I could develop it permanently to cut out salts as much as possible starting then on.
    175lbs 5”4 old enough to not know what half of everyone saying on here. Got a 20 year old daughter been through Post menopause (going through it a 2nd time now) so old enough I like to not mention it anymore. Activity level I put low but I’m walking around the house for excersice y got a hyper 2yr old that wants mommy to follow him all over the house nonstop on top of housework.

How much did you tell MFP that you wanted to lose each week?
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited May 2019
    Options
    MFP says 1200 which is tuff for me so I go over 1200-1400 but mainly average is 1300
    Think I told it a pound hard to remember not sure where to look.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I need to get in a better mind set. For some reason I get it in my head that if I eat one bad thing that the day is for nothing and just go ahead and eat what ever I want instead of just eating the one bad thing and continue with my healthier plan for the day. I feel like my will power really needs help. I really do feel like a drug addict that can't even think about food without wanting to go binge eat everything in sight. If any one has any pointers for me on how I can work with the way I think about food that would be great and appreciated.

You're not alone. I dont have a solution unfortunately but I feel the same and have the same problem.

I have found what helps me, is to try to stay away from main starches and things made of them, so main starches being bread (grains) potato, pasta (grains again) rice, so that includes cake, biscuits, couscous, chips (UK chips) crisps, pizza (the worst thing I can eat), cereals including porridge. Luckily Im not mega keen on sweets and chocolate so I dont know if its a sugar thing as well.

I have no idea why but eating these foods, whether processed or not, causes me to crave more and more food of any kind. Just cant get full.

A few days without these and focusing on fat, settles it a bit. A few days more decreases my appetite enoough to be satisfied with the calories allowed in my profile.

However take now, I have just eaten my dinner. Perfectly full up. Not physically hungry. I dont need any more food and I will be going to bed in about 3 hours. But If a massive family sized pizza was put in front of me right now I would eat the whole thing, no stopping.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    We all struggle with it theirs the hangry days, binge regret days, good days. If I eat something I shouldn’t I add it to my calories tell myself I’ll just walk more,eat more lettuce without dressing,y cut myself a break. Took 2 years to get this mind set. I also allow myself to put food in a Tupperware if I feel full hard since most got brought up to clean your plate. I find myself saying well I’ll do better tomorrow I write it down a few times so I see it . Helps a lot. I keep trying to learn everything I can. Got the serving size is important thing down along with calories.7- 11chips is a serving I used to down a bag. Figure if I eat something I shouldn’t time to steam some 100calorie fish with no salt green beans 15-25calories or eat zucchini noodles 33calories per serving filling I use a $5 Walmart hand held noodle maker add a tsp-tablespoon sauce mix well to coat. Salad I skip dressing add tomato or cucumber or cooked spinach leaves so it’s moist.
    Do your best don’t give up got faith in ya

This makes me sad to read. It sounds like you are paying back a treat with bland food you don't really enjoy.

I thought that as well, sounds quite punitive.

Im trying to get rid of that mindset, because it treats some foods as good or some as bad and also keeps on the 'punishment' of a certain food rather than just logging it and getting back within your calorie amount the next day