how to stop being so stressed out?

Options
I have been REALLY stressed out lately, down to being sick and massive headaches as I am being abused by family... I feel like it is really taking a toll on my health..
Any tips on being less stressed?

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    This sounds stupid.
    eat right and exercise is one of the best ways!!
    relax
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    This sounds stupid.
    relax

Uhh, it's true? I am being abused by some family members and worried about my best friend as she is really sick in hospital and how to deal with it all?

No need to be rude.
  • leopardvice
    Options
    when you find the answer let me know!! but exercise ALWAYS makes me feel better!
  • MissTomGettingThin
    Options
    This sounds stupid.
    relax

Uhh, it's true? I am being abused by some family members and worried about my best friend as she is really sick in hospital and how to deal with it all?

No need to be rude.

I wasn't being rude at all.
    I didn't need to post.
    I wanted to help.

I meant MY POST sounded stupid!!
    Not yours

exercise and diet helps a LOT
    relaxing also - it's important.

I'll leave you alone.

edit because the post quoted weird
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Options
    BREATHE.......its all in the breathing. I was always a shallow breather until I trained myself to start taking deeper breaths and being more conscious about the way I breathed. Whenever or wherever I feel stressed I shut my eyes and take 10 deep breaths and believe me it works.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    This sounds stupid.
    relax

No need to be rude.

I didn't need to post.
    I wanted to help.

Not yours

I'll leave you alone.

Ohh I thought you meant my post sounded stupid....

so so sorry :/ x
  • MissTomGettingThin
    Options
    This sounds stupid.
    relax

No need to be rude.

I didn't need to post.
    I wanted to help.

Not yours

I'll leave you alone.

Ohh I thought you meant my post sounded stupid....

so so sorry :/ x

I could have written it better.
    Sorry.

:O(
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Move out - blood ISN'T thicker than water!
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    Have you tried a little time out for deep breathing or meditating? Other than that I would strap my shoes on and pound the pavement, that always does it for me. Plenty of times I have been close to tears when I start walking but theres something about being outside, on your own.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

I am trying to get the funds, which requires a new job and there is a job shortage at the moment... :/
  • Slinkybaz
    Slinkybaz Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The forums seem to get stressful themselves sometimes!

This may sound silly but when it's all getting on top of me I find lists help. Instead of getting my brain all muddled thinking of the tons of stuff I need to do, I find if I write it all down it's actually not as much as my stressed brain thought and there is a satisfaction with crossing off each item I complete too. Maybe timetable yourself a bit while it's stressful as well to make sure you can fit everything in to your day (visiting your friend in hospital, looking for the new job etc)

Good luck ;-)
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I'm a very stressed out person a lot of the time so I totally understand the problem, especially when there are things happening in your life that are out of your control or just truly terrible.

Here are some things that helped me:

Take some time for yourself, even if it's just 10 or 15 minutes, to be alone and get away from it all.
    Exercise. It always makes me feel better if I'm stressed or upset, even just a little bit.
    Yoga. Seriously, yoga with some peaceful/relaxing music in the background is amazing for stress relief. I find concentrating on my breathing and on my body to really help me relax.
    Find someone to talk to
    Cuddle an animal
    Find a hobby or something you enjoy to put your energy into in a positive way. This is how I really got into cooking and baking
    Get enough sleep

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I hope you can find some relief from all your stress.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    Options
    The forums seem to get stressful themselves sometimes!

You're telling me!
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Try yoga, meditation, stroll in the park, nature hike, swimming, and walking a dog. These are my destressing activities.

10515637.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Ok so its been mentioned, but yoga def releives my stress...Yoga concentrates your breathing and you have to relax in order to do some of the poses. I was always a tense ball so even the relaxing posese are hard for me sometimes and i have to tell myself to take deep breathes and just let my body relax.

or you can have some "stimulation" with or without a parnter, not my business....but it will def help releive some stress and tension lol

Take a bath....do the whole shabang.....candles, soft music(i like celtic music, enya is good or even some native american music is relaxing) and bubbles.....put some epsom salt in the bath and it will help relieve tension through the body.

Get a hobby you can enjoy for a long time. My sister is a stressball over EVERYTHING in life, and she found painting, or crafting, even poetry to write down the stresses she is having. I like do make picture frames and give them to people that i think would appreciate them. My brother crochets and makes GORGEOUS blankets, which i crocheted before and it definantly helps numb your mind and helps you concentrate on something other than lifes issues
  • Faerietales
    Options
    Love your advise - Lists are great to get your mind to calm down ;-)
  • jp09m
    jp09m Posts: 89
    Options
    yoga and stretching in general, it will teach u to control your breathing allowing for deeper breaths.

also, try having more sex.
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Stress is very hard to get rid of... The best way to do it... is to find something you love to do that is calming to you. For me.... I am relaxed when I am playing a sport... or watching a funny movie.... Hanging out with my friends.... And some other stuff.... I'm sure you have stuff you love to do... so give it a try...
  • Faerietales
    Options
    Um, another thing - chat to the family and clear the air - if you guys can sort out any issues productively it will make you a happier person (and them to most likely). Make a list of all issues and then take turns to talk, you could find at the end of the day it was something really silly that started the issues.

You see home is my sanctuary - I can't imagine being home with my family and always having to watch what I say or do... laughter and hugs are much much better :-)
    Good luck and yes lists, yoga, walks and some "me" time is very important!
    Put music on in your space and dance around a bit - do something silly :-)
    And stay positive - negativity breads negativity.... you need to make yourself get out of that rut :-)
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options

I am trying to get the funds, which requires a new job and there is a job shortage at the moment... :/

I'm in the same boat myself. I'm desperate to move out but can't afford it because no one will give me a job.
    I'd love to tell you I had a great way of coping but to tell you the truth, there is no right way of dealing with that stuff. I just get on with things because my only alternative is to lay down and die and I really don't want that.
    You could try staying at a friends house once in a while to get a break.
    I don't know how bad the abuse is (although any abuse is bad) or how old you are but depending on those 2 points you might be able to get help. Good luck and feel free to add me. x