Self Control Issues

Options

Replies

• ladreamer99
    ladreamer99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally relate to your post! I do something similar where I'll punish myself if I eat a little bite or two of something "bad" instead of letting myself get away with a little bit of it, and then I'll sometimes go too far and binge out on a lot of unhealthy options, which makes it nearly impossible to find the motivation to work out afterward. I find that doing very healthy things BEFORE I have those temptations makes it easier to stay good. Would you be able to track "triggers" or patterns in your urges? Is it always at a certain time of day, or in response to something else? We are complicated machines, but machines nonetheless. Sometimes we just need to find out where the bug is so that we can reset something. I hope this helps!
  • RunJosh86
    RunJosh86 Posts: 8 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I have struggled with this for the past couple of years myself. I find that it is at its worst when I am 1.) not eating enough during the day, and 2.) I am bored. I am learning to discipline myself to eat more during the day and to find something else to do when I have the urge to eat just because I am bored.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I never knew any family members to add cream either. Wasn’t even offered at tea time. When my Mum was alive I used to make her mint tea biscuits with freash mint of course she loved them. Lol wasn’t the norm but I found the recipe thought she’d love them boy did she a whole tin would last a week. I used to get the sugar cubes but can’t find them anymore in the Texas,USA stores so having to use regular sugar .I felt the cubes were better. They don’t make anything I liked anymore or don’t carry it got to order everything on line these days! Cold milk never could have lactose intolerant so have to limit. I would just smell everyone else’s food lol.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    @Kalex1975 .... your honesty is moving bro. N=1 here, I have noted with my "experiment" I have been doing. I no longer crave the "bad" foods. I now crave fruit, vegetables, eggs... ect. Slowly not getting as many hunger issues. I mean that could be the "bulking" talking. I guess you dont get frenzy or the low level of hunger CONSTANTLY. Though they have improved. Frenzy is not nearly as bad and the low level is not quite as high. You give me hope brother.

Thanks @psychod787 - sounds like you are finding your way. I never realized how difficult it would be once I got to maintenance!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    I never knew any family members to add cream either. Wasn’t even offered at tea time. When my Mum was alive I used to make her mint tea biscuits with freash mint of course she loved them. Lol wasn’t the norm but I found the recipe thought she’d love them boy did she a whole tin would last a week. I used to get the sugar cubes but can’t find them anymore in the Texas,USA stores so having to use regular sugar .I felt the cubes were better. They don’t make anything I liked anymore or don’t carry it got to order everything on line these days! Cold milk never could have lactose intolerant so have to limit. I would just smell everyone else’s food lol.

You could try letting your grocer know that you'd like it if they carried sugar cubes. Or you could order them online. (The ubiquitous Amazon and Walmart.com both carry sugar cubes.)
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Hubby thinks something wrong with me because I’m limiting my tea ..just found 2 jugs of sweet tea on the counter with a receipt lol. I’m definitely tempted to buy the sugar cubes now at Walmart.com since I have to order so much online anyways. No wonder we gain weight in this house. I love Earl Grey,Orange Peko,and Lipton can have it served so many ways. I tried green tea from Lipton started gaining weight found out it was the sugar substitute from someone here
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Hubby thinks something wrong with me because I’m limiting my tea ..just found 2 jugs of sweet tea on the counter with a receipt lol. I’m definitely tempted to buy the sugar cubes now at Walmart.com since I have to order so much online anyways. No wonder we gain weight in this house. I love Earl Grey,Orange Peko,and Lipton can have it served so many ways. I tried green tea from Lipton started gaining weight found out it was the sugar substitute from someone here

Your southern? Sweet tea can be the devil for me as well... lol
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited May 2019
    Options
    My mother was from a British family that moved to the USA lived up North Yankees.
    Dads Native American,German,Irish,Asian, Mexican,etc that came here.Jewish so to flee Hitler by joining ones who were already here decades before he’s West Texas born. Family I grew up around were 1st generations to speak English language from Filipino Great Aunts to Cuban Uncle. Lol my diet,language,y life is mixed race fun. Having tea time y brunches then quesadillas for dinner lol. I’m old so every word I use sends young folks to google what I mean lol. Cold Sweet tea to hot earl grey with sugars and chocolate are a craving issue. I don’t have a spot of tea if I’m not careful it’s more like a pitcher meant for guests. I’m starting to understand why my grandma had Lemon slices or cucumber in her water next to her hot tea.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I dont know anyone (and have never known anyone) who drinks what we call fruit tea, herbal teas, lemon tea, green tea etc etc on a regular basis. They tend to be things we have hanging round the back of the cupboard when we thought we'd get some fancy tea. We dont really do cold tea either.

A cup of tea is quite simply black tea with milk. Sugar optional.

(now a load of my fellow countrymen will come along telling of their love for cold/herbal tea)!!!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Wanted to add.... sugar substitutes dont cause you to gain weight. In SOME people they may drive hedonistic eating elsewhere.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    MFP says 1200 which is tuff for me so I go over 1200-1400 but mainly average is 1300
    Think I told it a pound hard to remember not sure where to look.

Based on your activity level I suspect you told it a faster rate of loss. I would be willing to bet that 1500 is closer to 1 pound a week for you.

Go to your goals tab and then click on the link for "Guided Setup"

Someone correct me if this is not correct for the app which I seldom use. I use the browser interface.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Wanted to add.... sugar substitutes dont cause you to gain weight. In SOME people they may drive hedonistic eating elsewhere.

Thats an interesting point. I dont eat anything with sweetner in it (I dont have a particularly sweet tooth) because my perception is that I would taste the sweet but not get the calories and that I would then not feel satisfied.

This is in my own head no doubt although I thought I read a reference to studies which also showed this, but I dont know how accurate that is.

So if I do have something sweet, its with real sugar or whatever it has it in, not artificial sweetners.

I have one coffee every couple of days, Im not a massive coffee drinker but I do have 4 sugars in it!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Black tea sounds Devine haven’t seen it in ages. Cold herbal tea got a recipe or two for it with my grandma recipes. They were farmers there y here too. I bet my setting is wrong cause so far feels like I can’t reach my goal calories easily at all. I’ll try your changing the guided setup too.
    Don what’s yours set at might be the same issue especially since men need more calories.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Think we all need to figure out our trigger foods to work on which is so hard.My issue like many also is seeing coworkers to our kids eating those yummies in front of us that we crave so bad. I find I can be full see a slice of pizza or cake or walk by the supermarket deli smelling samples oohhhh goodness so hard. Driving by fast food places don’t help either. My sons Pediactrics is next door to a donut shop! Litterely grab the wrong handle look up your in with a ton of donuts!
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I could have written your post. It is not that I say to myself - well I ate one "bad" thing, so I am going to eat crazy and binge for one day or a week or continue for months. It is just so unconscious if that is the correct word. It can be that the item was so tasty to you that you want to continue. And once we started this habit recently or years and years ago, that is what it is, a habit that keeps us bringing us to the same routine. It might help to get a notebook or type of MFP your foods. I do it the night before thinking what I will eat the next day, any restaurants or who I will be with. I can adjust it the day of but it certainly helps to know what will probably be breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Some of us do have triggers/sugar addictions, similar to a drug/alcohol addiction. Some feel you can have a little of a food you might deem unhealthy or not on your plan. But others who have that one item may need to stay away from that food. Maybe after you eat that one item and want to continue, we should come right on this site and reach out and say I think I am going to eat me and won't be able to stop. A long time ago I was on a different site and I did type out that I felt I was going to eat. I said I would go for a walk. I actually did. I came back and wrote that I beat a binge. It was actually an amazing feeling. Sometimes the emotion you have at the moment might dictate whether you are able to stop or not. Feeling annoyed with someone might make me reach for food and then not be able to stop. It is really a tough thing to try to overcome but one day at a time, one meal at a time, one bite at a time. Hug
  • imtired2019
    imtired2019 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I’ve been working out for 2 weeks on and off for 40mins
    I’ve been having a shake with kale and spinach every night for a month now
    And I haven’t lost any visible weight!! :( I’ve lost a tiny bit off my waist and my tummy isn’t as bloated but it really lowers my self esteem that no one has noticed this slight weight loss. Feels like all the hard work is not working and maybe I’m just seeing things :(