Why have I gained this week?

Options
K8w83
K8w83 Posts: 12 Member
Can anyone help me work out what's going on? I have been losing around 1lb a week for a number of weeks. Due to a health issue I've only been doing gentle exercise for a while (mainly walking), but this week I've been able to start doing a bit more so every day this week I've done the 30 day shred exercise DVD.

I've still been logging, my diet hasn't changed at all (same calorie intake and still weighing all my food), and I'm still doing the same 3 mile walk a day in addition to the dvd, but I've gained 4lb this week :-(

Literally the only difference is the added cardio/weights exercise. Please tell me there is a reason for this that means I haven't really gained 4lb and it's going to disappear again?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    because weight loss is not linear. it feels great to lose steadily EACh week but that is unlikely to happen weekly forever. there will be fluctuations and that's normal.

also
    http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

ETA: someone beat me to the link! :)
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Is the exercise DVD new? That could be the culprit -- increasing exercise, or increasing intensity, can lead to increased water weight because the muscles need it as they repair and adapt. It'll eventually come off, but may take a few weeks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Pebblish wrote: »
    Can anyone help me work out what's going on? I have been losing around 1lb a week for a number of weeks. Due to a health issue I've only been doing gentle exercise for a while (mainly walking), but this week I've been able to start doing a bit more so every day this week I've done the 30 day shred exercise DVD.

I've still been logging, my diet hasn't changed at all (same calorie intake and still weighing all my food), and I'm still doing the same 3 mile walk a day in addition to the dvd, but I've gained 4lb this week :-(

Literally the only difference is the added cardio/weights exercise. Please tell me there is a reason for this that means I haven't really gained 4lb and it's going to disappear again?

You started a new and more aggressive exercise program. This will cause water retention to aid in repair of broken down muscle and tissue.

4 Lbs of actual fat would equate to 14,000 calories over your maintenance calories, and I'm pretty sure you'd know it if you did that. It's pretty much mathematically impossible to put on 4 Lbs of actual fat in a week...you'd have to gorge yourself everyday. With my personal stats, I'd have to eat 5,000+ calories per day to do that, and I'd definitely feel that.
  • K8w83
    K8w83 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, my logical head was telling me I couldn't have put on 4lb. I will carry on and hope for a big drop once my muscles recover.