Just cant grasp the 1500+ calorie rule

Options
12346»

Replies

• andieb75
    andieb75 Posts: 26
    Options
    MFP put me at 1200 also and I am 127/ 5'6 and want to lose 10 lbs. I seems awefully low when I do work out 3-4 times a week.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    MFP put me at 1200 also and I am 127/ 5'6 and want to lose 10 lbs. I seems awefully low when I do work out 3-4 times a week.

That's more than likely because you have selected too high a goal.

From your profile saying you are a fat skinny person, it sounds like you need to work on lowering body fat and building muscle rather than losing weight. This will not happen at such a large deficit, generally you need to be at maintenance or a small calorie surplus to build muscle. switch to 0.5 or even maintenance, eat back exercise and start heavy weight training.
    Look up lorinalynn she is an amazing example of how you can change your body without losing many pounds :-)
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I have taken the slow path this time around. Everything in moderation, so they say. I am on 1500, but stray every Friday with a splurge day. I eat 100% of my exercise calories, and I'm at 20 pound loss for a year. I want this to last, so I planned that I would not eat below 1500. I want to see what maintenance looks like! I've obviously never been able to do it before, I would get lazy about tracking, and gain it all back.

As I go through this journey, I take note of what my successful friend on mfp are doing, look at their exercise habits, and take a close look at what is on their food log. It's amazing how things like that have helped me along the way. Not to mention all the fabulous supportive friends here.

I've done JC and WW. WW just didn't allow me enough food, and I'm a big calorie counter, so points and I just didn't get along. JC, I could emulate by buying frozen dinners, much cheaper, and just as good. Plus, my JC 'consultant' was just someone who weighed me and bagged my food!

I am so much healthier than I was a year ago, and I look forward to learning and improving and growing in the future.

I think we all have to find what works best for us. I never thought I would exercise 6 days a week and love it. Never thought I would cut sweets from my diet, but I've been doing pretty well at that.
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    bump, very interesting information. Need to come back to it to let it sink in.
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a fallacy. Just sayin'.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I am doing 1500 calories now as scoobysworkshop reccomended this for me. no wonder why I was so hungry
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    We have very similar stats! I'm 5'7" and my starting weight was 165. I've lost 9 lbs so far over a 2 month period. Here's what I'm doing:

- 1500 cals a day
    - Under 100g of carbs a day
    - Lots of eggs, meat, fruit, veggies, and lower amounts of dairy
    - Cut out bread products, cereal, rice, potatoes, processed foods
    - I drink water, tea, Crystal Lite and milk... no sugary beverages
    - One or two carb-crazy cheat meals a week
    - 3-4 gym sessions a week - 30 min elliptical and 15-25 minutes of weights/calisthenics

It's working great so far and I'm losing weight at a pace that keeps me happy. AND I don't feel hungry.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Straight up.......................if you're convinced it ain't gonna work, you ain't gonna work it.

ANY program for weight loss works if one is consistent with it because basically it's calorie deficit. HOW you look and feel after is debatable. One can lose weight and look like a smaller version of their former heavier self. Soft and still shapeless.

IMO, throw out your scale and concentrate more on the mirror and how your clothes fit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    That’s great and works for those who can physically handle a heavy strength training regimen. Not so great for those with arthritis and other restrictive body issues.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    andieb75 wrote: »

MFP will default to a minimum of 1200 calories. BUT, that goal is based on your inputs. Did you sign up for a 1/2 pound a week weight loss? Because that's what is most appropriate with so little weight to lose. An aggressive weekly weight loss goal = lower calories.

Also, 1200 is based on your activity level before exercise. If you exercise you log that and earn additional calories..

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/761810/the-starvation-mode-myth-again/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1