If you work FT, when do you work out?

Options
I am havng trouble squeezing exercise into my day. I work FT and have a 6 year old daughter. I get home around 6:15 and have to get dinner, deal with homework, get the kiddo fed, bathed and in bed (with any luck by 9pm) At 9pm when I finally get to sit down, the last thing I want to do is exercise! When do you fit in your workout?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    do you not have someone to help you out?
  • Tinks2007
    Tinks2007 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi,

It is hard to fit it all in, maybe once made Daughters tea stick a fitness dvd on while she is eating, I do my run soon as I get in from work as wouldnt do it once settle down, but my daughter is 18 now so a bit easier,
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I know when my daughter was younger it was much harder to work out but maybe the last suggestion of working out to a DVD while your daughter is eating might work. Mine is 16 now so I do mine also when I get home from work and get it over with. if I do it past 7pm I can't go to sleep at a reasonable hour. Good luck finding that balance.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I work nights so I exercise before work, when I worked days I would work out after work. When I worked 8am I used to workout before work. The other option is workout at home, take walks with your daughter, I know it is tough, but even a little exercise each day is better than none.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I work FT and travel quite often as well and to be honest the only times for me to work out are early in the morning or late at night. I normally don't start my workout until at least 9 PM, sometimes later. I prefer late night workouts, but sometimes if that's not an option I will get up at 5 or 5:30 AM and workout before my day gets started.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I work FT but dont have any kids, but I go early in the morning before work, that way I dont have to worry about it when I get home.
  • fit_twin
    fit_twin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have no children but I do care for an elderly mom and I have my own business which means I work more than full time :-/

Have you considered getting up before everyone and putting in a half hour or so early in the morning? I know it's hard enough getting enough sleep but it mght be worth it for you to get it out of the way first thing??

I used to dread it but now I wake up even earlier than neccessary just for the quiet time and peace of mind after my workouts. I happen to love it and it just works for me.

Good luck and I hope you find what works for you!

C
  • hannahcf
    hannahcf Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids so I often end up doing crazy things like working out at 11pm at night. It's not ideal but I'd rather do that than not exercise at all:)
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I know that it's very difficult to get up early at times, but why not try to do it before your daughter gets up the morning?
    It's actually a very refreshing to do i t then and get it over with for the day! ;)
  • ShannonMarie81
    Options
    I am a single mom of a 5 year old and a 2 year old and I work 40-45 hours a week. The best time (or should I say the only time) I find is to wake up early and get it in before work (4:30am) That way the kids are still sleeping and there won't be any distractions from the kids or anything else and I can fully concentrate on me and my workout! It's not always easy, but it is so nice to get it done 1st thing in the morning and be able to concentrate on what I need to do the rest of the day without cutting into the very little time I get with my kids =) Best of Luck to you!!
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    6am as soon as i get up out of bed!
  • robjuliew
    Options
    first thing in the a.m. its the only way I can get it done!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I work FT but don't have kids so I work out when I get home!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My wife wakes up in the middle of the night to work out.
    When the kid was little I used to wait till he was asleep.
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I work full time, have 2 kids and I also go to school part time. I go for a walk uphill on my lunch break before I eat, then when I get home with the kids we'll go walk on a trail at a park on the days I don't have school. You can turn almost anything into a workout. Dance with your children to their favorite music, while they're doing their homework take a minute break every 5-10 minutes and get the kids to do jumping jacks for a full minute with you. Every little bit counts.
  • tavery3700
    tavery3700 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Have you tried early morning workouts.

Also before you go home stop at the gym for a quick 30-45 minute workout.

Don't forget to put your workout clothes on before you leave your job.
  • hartsmart
    hartsmart Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i don't have kids, but i do work 2 jobs and hubby is always working so i'm also in charge of tking care of the house and dinner and shopping, etc. i think no matter what your situation, it is hard to find enough hours in the day to do everything you'd like to do.
    i like the suggestion of maybe taking a walk with your daughter...or a bike ride, if she's doing that yet? (not sure of the area where you live, either...if that's a possibility) i get up at 3:30 am 4 days a week to be at work by 4:30, so i try get my workouts in as soon as i get home (even if i can only manage 30 minutes before i have to be off to run errands or whatever). 2 days a week i work from 7am to 6 or 6:30 pm and on one of those days i try to get a run in after work/before dinner.
    there's no answer here...obviously, but i think if you can find a few minutes here and there when your daughter is busy/at school/coloring/whatever, you can pop in a dvd or do some jumping jacks (don't kids LOVE to jump around??) then you'll slowly start to make it part of your day AND hers and it won't seem like you have to try so hard.
    or maybe not? but that's my 2 cents...
    good luck!! :)
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    How about preparing two meals at once.............then have leftovers........get your Wii out and have your little one "play" with you...........ride bikes together..........walk together........
  • chulian31
    Options
    I understand what you are saying since I work and study full time & have two daughters aged 4 and 9 years. I've struggled myself with the issue of finding the time.

5.30am start in the morning because its out of the way. In the weekend and sometimes week nights, I'll put some music on and dance with my girls - this can be quite vigorous- the girls love it! You fit in exercise AND have quality time with the kids.

Otherwise what about lunchtimes - have a friend who does this.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom of a 5 year old and a 2 year old and I work 40-45 hours a week. The best time (or should I say the only time) I find is to wake up early and get it in before work (4:30am) That way the kids are still sleeping and there won't be any distractions from the kids or anything else and I can fully concentrate on me and my workout! It's not always easy, but it is so nice to get it done 1st thing in the morning and be able to concentrate on what I need to do the rest of the day without cutting into the very little time I get with my kids =) Best of Luck to you!!

Holy ****! When do you sleep?! Don't think I could do what you lot do! Kudos!