Treats to Stop a Sweet Tooth??

vguardie917
vguardie917 Posts: 1 Member
I’ve been trying to lose weight for a pretty long time and despite exercising and making healthy meals, I’ve never lost more than 3 lbs. The one thing that messes it up is my sweet tooth- I love sweets of any and every kind, to the point where sometimes no amount of motivation can keep me from getting in my car and finding some ice cream or cake slice from the grocery store. For fellow sweet addicts, any advice on something I could eat to satisfy the craving without ruining my diet?

Replies

• mconrath
    mconrath Posts: 1 Member
    Sweets are my nemesis too; I've been working through it eating more fruit (mango and bing cherries in particular) and eat small portions of halo top ice cream when I really need sugar.
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    edited June 2019
    1 square of chocolate with peanut butter on top
    bowl of frozen cherries with honey drizzled on top
    jumbo marshmallows roasted in the oven
    low cal hot chocolate with a little whipped cream/marshmallow fluff
    popsicles
    hard candy
    handful of raisins
    cherry coke zero

These are all my go-tos, and pretty easy to adjust amounts for when you have more or less cals to work with (weigh every ingredient!)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    1 square of chocolate with peanut butter on top
    bowl of frozen cherries with honey drizzled on top
    jumbo marshmallows roasted in the oven
    low cal hot chocolate with a little whipped cream/marshmallow fluff
    popsicles
    hard candy
    handful of raisins
    cherry coke zero

These are all my go-tos, and pretty easy to adjust amounts for when you have more or less cals to work with (weigh every ingredient!)

Pretty much all of the above works for me, too.

My go-to is usually about 12-15 semisweet chocolate chips and 2 large marshmallows and/or 1/2 mini box of raisins. It makes me feel like I'm getting some kind of chocolate bar, but for a fraction of the calories and sugar...but at the same time, it's not SO delicious that I wanna eat big amounts of it. Those are things I can have in my pantry at all times, whereas when keeping a stock of cookies or actual snack bars, I may overdo it.

I also like to make a cup of hot tea (especially flavored teas) to go with any smaller treat and make it seem more like a snack "event", that may sound silly but for me it's helped a lot. At lunch a lot of times, my husband and I will have flavored hot tea and Maria gamesa cookies from the ethnic aisle. A serving is like 120 cal for 8 cookies. They're not decadent cookies, quite plain like a vanilla cracker, but honestly having 4 with some tea works for me!
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    I’ve been trying to lose weight for a pretty long time and despite exercising and making healthy meals, I’ve never lost more than 3 lbs. The one thing that messes it up is my sweet tooth- I love sweets of any and every kind, to the point where sometimes no amount of motivation can keep me from getting in my car and finding some ice cream or cake slice from the grocery store. For fellow sweet addicts, any advice on something I could eat to satisfy the craving without ruining my diet?

HUGE sweet tooth here. Dark chocolate does it for me. I was never a fan, but I really like it. You sort of have to eat it slowly and really savor it, you can't gobble it down. And it kills those chocolate cravings before they start. And there's a raft of health benefits you just don't get from milk chocolate. I recommend Green & Black's 85%. It's delicious and has a lovely mouth feel. It's a little pricey ($2.53 at my local Walmart) but a bar should last you a while. I also love Lily's Salted Almond & Milk chocolate bars sweetened with Stevia. They're amazing.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Tea addict here y sugar anonymous member!
    Nice to meet you all I fell off the wagon daily still do but trying to cut back. Got my jug of hot to cold teas (over 500+ packets in the pantry plus 4 jugs at the moment) down to 4-12oz a day. I have my family sized bag of M&ms cut down to 6 peanut m&ms a day. Well trying to grab sweet apple in my salads without dressings cause it curves a lot for me. Also trying every method people suggest that fit me so getting better all the time. Ate 1/8th tin of cinnamon rolls skipped m&ms one day drank only 4oz tea. Was proud of myself went 2 days without sweets then bam fell off the wagon big time. So still a far ways off from being fully tea free. Came from a British mum she also was a tea,soda,y koolaid addict. Her tea after her death is in my cubbard somewhere or in a dresser or fridge who knows I lost tea all over my house.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Radishes work for me. Dill pickles too but I'm not that fond of them.

Sugar free jello cups if I really really want something sweet. You can buy a box of sugar free jello and make it yourself but buying the cups for around $1 (USD) for 4 little cups ready to go is worth the convenience.

Don't eat too many in one day or it could be the sugar free gummy bear experience all over again 😂
  • cyncm
    cyncm Posts: 33 Member
    I find I crave sugar if I eat too much sweets. I set my sugar goal at 60 g total per day. Frozen raspberries in plain low fat Greek yoghurt are a staple. And good dark chocolate... Zazubean Nudie 80% this evening. Beware sugar alcohols... they make me crave more just like sugar and they cause terrible bloating in excess.
  • cemetree
    cemetree Posts: 17 Member
    Halo top ice cream if you can avoid eating a whole pint. And I also love chocolate chips and apple slices with peanut butter
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I crave sweets less when I eat more fruit. Hydration also helps me, I get terrible cravings when dehydrated. Dark chocolate, yogurt with frozen berries, coffee with steamed milk and cinnamon. One trick I use is to put vanilla extract and cacao powder in everything, turns oatmeal or yogurt into something more like dessert.
  • asbowen688
    asbowen688 Posts: 1 Member
    Mint chocolate cado cream (avocado ice cream)
    Super yummy!
    2 ripe avocados
    1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1/4 cup pure maple syrup or honey
    1 tbs coconut oil
    1/4 tsp peppermint extract
    1/4 cup dairy free mini chocolate chips

Put all ingredients except chocolate chips in high powered blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.

Stir in chocolate chips.

Pour into a freezer safe container and put in freezer 4-5 hours. Take out 5-10 min before and let it sit on counter to soften.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Protein Fluff
  • lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    1-2 cups of sliced strawberries with light Reddi-Whip cream is sooo satisfying. Or ripe nectarines (nectarines instead of peaches, because peaches often get mushy), a cup of firm blueberries, or a whole apple plus 2 slices of American cheese.

I'm a serial starter and have been an emotional eater. This time was the worst ever in terms of getting loose from the sugar cravings. My incentive this time has been that my 60th birthday is coming up later this year, plus my mom is having some health issues and I don't want to go down that road. I found that when I cut out bread products and I cut out sugary processed foods (cookies, candy, cake, etc.), plus tried to include a salad most days of the week, my sugar cravings disappeared in about 3 weeks. That makes it so much easier to make healthy choices!!! In 100 days, I've had sugar just 5 times (in the form of cake or ice cream) - a big change. Now I eat a ton of different kinds of fruit instead, log it all, and stay within my calorie goal of 1200 calories. I don't get a huge amount of exercise, despite my intentions, but I also don't eat my exercise calories back. I'm down 29 lbs in 100 days.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    The problem with true sweets is that your body was only designed to deal with fruit and not anything as sweet as a candy bar which causes blood glucose to soar. Because prolonged high blood glucose is unhealthy, an insulin surge occurs to reduce your blood sugar. Unfortunately, this results in blood sugar that is too low in a few hours hours time. Low blood glucose causes renewed sugar cravings and if you give into them you will have yoyo blood glucose levels all day that lead to cravings during the troughs.

Stick to fruit during the day, but if a life without real sweets such as candy is not worth living hold off on your sweet treat until the evening, so you are not affected by the blood sugar yoyo all day.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,691 Member
    My go-to is usually about 12-15 semisweet chocolate chips ...It makes me feel like I'm getting some kind of chocolate bar, but for a fraction of the calories and sugar...but at the same time, it's not SO delicious that I wanna eat big amounts of it.

This. Key is to eat them one at a time, chew and swallow.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    I have two favorites that I've been eating lately. The first is Greek yogurt with cinnamon and a packet of Splenda that I dip strawberries in. The second is light ice cream or Yasso bars. I have to scoop it out of the pint or I eat the whole thing!
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Whirl a frozen banana with a little peanut butter in your food processor. Tastes like ice cream only creamier!
  • wifeoferp
    wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
    I had a terrible sweet tooth as well but honestly watching the movie Fed Up really impacted my feelings on sugar. I have almost zero desire to eat it now.
  • Courtney6609
    Courtney6609 Posts: 1 Member
    Depending if my macros fit it..I love carbsmart chocolate ice cream. Pic below with macros😊😍