Is my friend on steroids?

Options
So I'm afraid to ask my friend because she was very obese/chunky before and then I didnt see her for like nearly a year, maybe 3/4 of a year but anyways she came back and she looked as skinny as the average Korean or Japanese woman. Later I found out she went super low on calorie deficits and ate very little. However now, she eats out almost every day, every meal maybe and it seems like she eats wayyy more than even before she was fat!! Every Instagram story for her updates like 6 times per day with 6 different big course meals. I'm talking cheesecake factory meals with an extra cheesecake, buffets, barbeque and more!

I'm afraid to ask if shes on some drugs or steroids that turns food into nothing? Is there even a drug that does that? Or is it something else that basically made her from fat and endomorph to a hardgainer/ectomorph?

Replies

• HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Isn't there some Instagram or YouTube thing where people record themselves eating obscene amounts of food to entertain other people?

I wonder if it's that
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Isn't there some Instagram or YouTube thing where people record themselves eating obscene amounts of food to entertain other people?

I wonder if it's that

They're called mukbangs. Done by overweight, obese, and normal weight people. According to Le Google, some are like professional eaters, some purge, for some this is a version of OMAD.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery, drugs like cocaine/meth, ADD/ADHD (?) meds; diseases like IBD/UC or Crohn’s, cancer, anorexia/orthorexia, stress, PTSD, lots of other conditions... any number of real things, or not. But HCG or steroids?? Unlikely.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    I think you're confused as to what steroids do. Steroids to not increase your metabolic capacity (how many calories you burn daily). What steroids do is they actually shorten the recovery time between heavy lifting, allowing you to train harder and more frequently which allows your muscles to grow larger, but it still requires you do the work in the gym.

That's not exactly what anabolic steroids do either. They'll induce hypertrophy even without stimulus ("the work") - 600mg of testosterone with no training was shown in an experiment to cause more muscle gain than a training program run by another test group.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    OP, most likely thing is she isn't eating that food. Are you sure the pictures are even supposed to be meals she's eating and not just reposts from others?
  • thelostbreed02
    thelostbreed02 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    OP, most likely thing is she isn't eating that food. Are you sure the pictures are even supposed to be meals she's eating and not just reposts from others?

She does.
  • thelostbreed02
    thelostbreed02 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

I wonder if it's that

They're called mukbangs. Done by overweight, obese, and normal weight people. According to Le Google, some are like professional eaters, some purge, for some this is a version of OMAD.

She doesnt do omad :/