Advice for building stamina

Options
I started my diet and fitness about February and I've lost 54 lbs. I'm feeling a lot better and doing more, but I still don't have very much stamina. I have to admit I've been very sedentary for many years now. I'm trying to walk though, but my knees have bad arthritis. Sometimes I do a exercise bike and i've started some cathesthics modified for what I can do. Should I be pushing myself more? Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest a recumbent bike (low resistance at high RPM is best for the knees) and swimming, or anything else in the pool. @DancingMoosie beat me to it.
  • higginbr
    higginbr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Small steps and Repetition. Do a cardio exercise. Try to do a bit bit better next time, be it. For example if the cardio is cycling or running ,Try to go a bit faster next time, or a bit further.

I'm getting fit by cycling. Most hills kill me and I have to stop at least once. So next time I try to stop less than the time before.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Baby steps is the way to go.

When I first started I struggled to walk for 5mins, or anything else, bike, elliptical etc.
    I added 1min to the time spent on walking on the treadmill each time I went to the gym. I now run marathons, but still remember how hard it was to get up to 30min walking let alone running
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Another vote for gently increasing your excercise. Arthritis can benefit greatly from losing weight and gentle exercise but it can take time.

Do you have a plan with your medical team regarding this?

I had trouble getting off the couch my knees hurt so much, and were so swollen. However with a judicial use of medication, weight loss, phyisopherapy and excercise (walking mainly) my Arthritis is so much better and I am much more active.

Arthritis is a *kitten*. You are doing a brilliant job, keep going it will get easier.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Another possibility is to break up your walks into short chunks. 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there add up.
  • debraah66
    debraah66 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Another vote for gently increasing your excercise. Arthritis can benefit greatly from losing weight and gentle exercise but it can take time.

Do you have a plan with your medical team regarding this?

I had trouble getting off the couch my knees hurt so much, and were so swollen. However with a judicial use of medication, weight loss, phyisopherapy and excercise (walking mainly) my Arthritis is so much better and I am much more active.

Arthritis is a *kitten*. You are doing a brilliant job, keep going it will get easier.

I just a doctor and I get shots my knees, but I really need knee surgery. I want to be able to walk on trails and stuff so bad.
  • debraah66
    Options
    I was going to suggest a recumbent bike (low resistance at high RPM is best for the knees) and swimming, or anything else in the pool. @DancingMoosie beat me to it.

I do have a recumbent exercise bike I use sometimes, but I like to try and walk if its nice outside.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    @debraah66

Going outside is really good for you in ways that aren't even related to this health journey we're all on. Keep it up. 🙂

If you have the option to walk on dirt or grass instead of pavement, it'll be easier on your knees.

You might be able to find shoes with the right shape and cushioning to help, too. A friend of mine is a runner, she hurt her knee when he shoes wore out, so I'm convinced they can have a big impact. A lot of stores have generous return policies, a site called Backcountry.com has folks that can make recommendations and they'll even put a free shipping label in the box in case you want to return it.

I'm trying to be helpful but I think I'm rambling.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    A battle rope is another option for you to use. Portable and easy to use. Doesn't strain the knees. Regardless of the tool you use, keep the intensity low, keep it at a conversational pace.
  • debraah66
    Options
    What is a battle rope?