Do roller coasters burn calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• ahfronk
    ahfronk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    People don't need to be so rude. Enjoy this article on research done on calories burned riding roller coasters:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/theme-park-rides-lose-you-1691017
  • nanosuitninja
    nanosuitninja Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you're really bricking it, i'm sure that half the time spent waiting to get on the rides, and also whilst on the ride, your heart rate and respiration is elevated, not to mention adrenaline, so it's possible. but a very unorthodox weight loss plan.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Account deactivated - I assume trolling...
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You can actually burn up to 500-1000 calories riding roller coasters.

Riding? Or being rundown?

Need more info. I love rollercoasters because I could ride them all day long, crowds permitting.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I know this is kind of silly and I'm not asking because I'm trying to count it in my log.:laugh:

Just curious if anyone has ever use an HRM on a roller coaster. I spent the day at Cedar Point yeasterday and those rides wiped me out! Of course there was ALOT of walking involved as well, but I really think it was the rides that did me in!

This is a great example of a situation where an HRM will get it wildly wrong.

Your heart rate really doesn't give any insight into how many calories you're burning. The most accurate ways we have of measuring calorie use all ignore heart rate completely.

You were burning calories while you were walking. And in a BMR sense you were burning them sitting in the coaster too but that's no different than if you were burning them on the couch at home.

Some things are exhausting for reasons that don't have much to do with calories. Like listening to my former boss! :wink:
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    This thread was started nearly 10 years ago.
    Better late than never, I guess? 😂
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread back from the dead! B)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread back from the dead! B)

uh9ni6uf03b7.gif