Teachers - I need your help!

Options
What do you do to keep your energy up? This was our first week of school, my 7th year of teaching. However, this year I have a very active 1 1/2 year old at home. Gone are the days that she naps all afternoon, it is constant play time at my house! I get up at 5 am, get dressed, eat breakfast, pack a lunch, wake her up, dress her and we are out the door by 6:30 am. I drop her off at the sitter and then I am at school by 7am. I am on my feet all day. I try to leave work by 4 pm to pick her up, then it is home to bathe her, feed her, and play all afternoon until she crashes at 8 pm.... By that time, I bathe then pass out myself. I HAVE NO ENERGY TO EXERCISE!!!! I feel horrible for not doing it because I did so well this summer! Anyone have any helpful tips? I am all ears!

Replies

• christinechipchase
    christinechipchase Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    hello i am starting a new job in a school next week and i am going to invest in a step counter you prob are doing a fair bit of exercising being on your feet, you would be able to put the steps in as exercise. The only other thing i could suggest it was i am doing is get everything ready the night before including packed lunch and then you could fit it half an hour before leaving for work or after tea at night. The only exercise i am getting to do at the moment is just dance 2 on the wii with the kids and i plan on doing three songs a day while my bath is running in the morning xxxxx
  • jdarcy9
    jdarcy9 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am an elementary school counselor, and I have a very similar schedule. I am at school every morning by 6:45AM and usually have very taxing days. I also coach middle school cheerleading after school, and work out by going to Zumba classes or strength training classes at least 3-4 times per week. I am tired, especially on days like today (Friday!), but that's because I am human too :). However, I know that the ONLY way I can make it through my week is by eating healthy and TAKING VITAMINS. My vitamins are essential for my energy. I can really tell how much lower my energy levels are on the days that I forget my vitamins.

Here is what I take in the mornings and before my evening workout:
    - I drink a powder mixed with water called Youngevity Beyond Tangy Tangerine http://youngevity.com/division/product/23221
    It tastes great, and has so many great minerals that your body needs to function. You can only purchase this product online.
    - With my drink in the mornings or afternoon (not both), I take the pill form of Fish Oil, Vitamin D, Kelp (Potassium Iodine), Calcium, and on a day that I need an extra pick-me-up, I will take an additional CoQ10 pill for more energy. If I'm feeling under the weather, then I will take an additional vitamin C, and I will feel better quickly.

Believe it or not, once I got into this routine, I found that the more that I work out, the more energy I would have. For example, after my evening workouts, I always have plenty of energy to make dinner, while on the evenings that I don't work out, I tend to dread standing up long enough to cook. :)

I hope this gives you some ideas. Don't get me wrong, I tend to grab a coffee in the mornings every once in a while, but for the most part- I find that the natural energy is the best!

I hope you find something that works for you! Good Luck!
  • JenUB
    JenUB Posts: 84
    Options
    I have two boys--ages 7 and 4. I pack lunches and put out clothes the night before. Then I get up by 4:15. I exercise, get ready, get the boys ready and fly out the door. Are your required hours 7 to 4? Mine are 7:45 to 3:45. If I put in extra time, it's after school. I don't stay too late, though. I always ask myself: "When I'm lyng on my deathbed, am I going to wish that I had spent more time grading papers? Or am I going to wish I had more time with my family?"
  • skatw
    skatw Posts: 28
    Options
    That sounds like great advice! Thanks for the help!