Sun Tea - On counter or Refrigerator?

Options
madwells1
madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
I want some feedback on what everyone does with their tea in the summer if they make it. For example, I usually make a large dispenser of tea by brewing a few hours in the sun, then bringing it indoors.

Since it is in a large dispenser, I usually don't have enough room for it in the refrigerator, so I just keep it on the kitchen counter (after removing tea bags and adding ice). I read articles that say that this is bad and it should be constantly refrigerated.

I haven't died yet--or gotten sick, but wanted to see if anyone else opinions as I feel like I am breaking food storage rules after reading articles. Note, I can drink it all in a couple of days, three is the maximum I usually keep it if there is any left as I hate old tea.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Personally, I store it in the refrigerator, both for food safety and because I like my iced tea cold in the summer. I suspect that most of the time if you don't see mold forming, it's not going to kill you. I would think it would get awfully diluted with melting ice if you were trying to keep it cold for drinking over several days, but I assume you're managing that to your own satisfaction.

Have you considered making smaller batches more frequently? Also, you don't really need the sun. I have some Lipton plain oversized black tea bags specifically for cold brew that only take five minutes to brew in cold water inside (one bag to a quart, I think). And I make cold-brew tea all the time inside on the counter with any kind of tea or herbal tea/tisane that I want, in the same few hours that sun tea takes.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I always refrigerate it. Mainly because I prefer it very cold, but there is the food safety issue as well.
    I discovered brewing ice tea in the refrigerator last year. It works great. It takes out the butter, tannic flavor by not using heat. I make it in a quart canning jar, so there’s plenty of room in the refrigerator.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I let mine sit out on the counter for a few minutes to cool down, then keep it refrigerated. It gets a bitter taste if it's left out. I also drink a pitcher of iced tea per day, so I don't have the issue of keeping it for several days.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I boil 3 to 4 cups of water in a pot and the brew the tea bags in that then add a couple more quarts of cold water/ice. Then I store it in the refrigerator for all the above reasons.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how much you are making or what the size of your fridge is, but... the solution I use is to repackage into multiple pitchers (2 pitchers, and maybe a large liquid measuring cup for any spill-over) to put into the fridge.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    My Uncle old fashion way- What will be drunk in 2-3days in counter. What isn’t he stores in a smaller pitcher in the fridge. Fit what you can in the fridge.Rest serve up for 2-3days to everyone who wants a cup.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Brewed tea does go bad and sometimes fast - even refrigerated it lasts only about a week or sometimes less. Ever notice in restaurants they have expiration stickers on the tea? It's in hours - not days. Food safety.

Never know from one tea bag to the next. I'd never drink brewed tea that is stored on a counter. 🤢