My spouse sabotages my good eating habits!

My wife is significantly more overweight than I am. When I am in control I have no problems losing weight, but she is constantly being the bad voice in my ear and I end up splurging. Then when I start to see results it gets worse because she sees me succeeding and she gets depressed so I find myself having comfort meals with her to make her feel better.

Replies

• _Paparazzi_
    _Paparazzi_ Posts: 463 Member
    My family dose this as well . I need to learn to be stronger and not cave in .
  • noah49822
    noah49822 Posts: 61 Member
    I'm sorry to hear that. My husband does that to me. He says he wants me to lose weight, but as soon as I get serious and stick to my journaling he wants to stuff me with food. He then starts this "Well if you don't eat any, I won't either" thing and starts pouting.

That is exactly what i have been experiencing.... that pout when there is not any good food on the table. Then I feel guilty and end up cooking something or worse ordering something that i know she likes.
  • jrh_this_better_work
    jrh_this_better_work Posts: 92 Member
    My husband offers me lots of food after dinner (how he stays a manageable weight, I still don't understand!). Fortunately, he can tell when I'm serious about managing my own weight because he offers once then not again. It's up to me to say no. While I wish he didn't offer it to me, I'd also be more irritated if he got some for himself without offering me any :) Anyway, it's a chance for me to make my own choice and then own my choice.
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    noah49822 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear that. My husband does that to me. He says he wants me to lose weight, but as soon as I get serious and stick to my journaling he wants to stuff me with food. He then starts this "Well if you don't eat any, I won't either" thing and starts pouting.

That is exactly what i have been experiencing.... that pout when there is not any good food on the table. Then I feel guilty and end up cooking something or worse ordering something that i know she likes.

Emotional manipulation.
    Don't feel guilty. She's an adult, she can make her own food or order something she'll like better. You see what she does... suck up any guilt you might be feeling and stand strong with your healthier choices. If SHE wants to eat bad, that's on her.
    Sabotaging yourself isn't doing anyone any favors. You're obviously not happy that it's happening. You see what's happening. You recognize it. Now change it for the better.

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I get you, it's tough to find the balance between making your loved ones happy and doing what's right for you.