Post Marathon Blues

Options
I recently completed my first marathon. Did not finish in the time I was expecting. I’ve never felt so upset after finishing a race before. I’ve been running for about a year and a half now. Completed several, 5ks, 10ks, 5 halfs, but I feel completely devastated almost to the point of quiting. Anyone else have the post race blues? Or not meet a goal they wanted to accomplish?
I need suggestions to stop my pouting.

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    It can be hard to stick with it when you're not going as fast as you think you should. A few years ago, I was regularly running 10+ miles, even did a Tough Mudder. Then, I got lazy, gained a bunch of weight back, and had to start over from scratch six months ago. It was humiliating struggling to run even a mile when I first started, but I went ahead and signed up for future races as motivation. I already completed a 5k, and have a 10k next weekend, then a half marathon in November. Signing up for a new race always seems to be the best motivation for me to stick with it. Marathon's are tough. I'd be proud that you completed one at all! That's still down the road on my "some day" race list.
  • kellyfonzarelli
    kellyfonzarelli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve run many many races including marathons. I always found that I had a let down period after a marathon. Don’t forget you aren’t getting that daily flood of endorphins that you are used to. I agree with the other poster, it’s pretty amazing just to complete. They are super rough on your body. For me, I ultimately stopped doing such intense and potentially damaging races. I play tennis and volleyball now and weight is the same. I run short distances but more for mental health. You may think you have to run to meet weight loss goals but I think it is more important to have fun. If running is fun for you then by all means...but you may find that it was more about achieving the goal than loving running. Good luck!!
  • askeeney
    askeeney Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I have a sports festival Coming up at the end of this month. I am going to take what I learned. And improve my half marathon and 5k time. I think
    I took for granted how natural running 13.1 and under is for me. Humbling experience to say the absolute least.
    So I’m trying to change my mind set to learn from the mistakes I made about my eating, hydration, and sleep leading up to it.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Anything you love will disappoint you at some point. That's just part of it.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Agree with previous posters. You’ve been running only a year and a half and YOU RAN A MARATHON!! And you’ve run lots of other races! That’s fantastic. Forget the time
    you did it in and remember that most people would never dream of running a marathon. And would never be able to. You’ve done it, and you should be extremely proud of yourself. I’m contemplating my first half and I’m in absolute awe of anyone who can do what you’ve done.

Hold your head up and smile!
  • BobboGenerico909
    BobboGenerico909 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You finished!! That alone is an amazing feat. Marathons are like mountains. They demand months of stategy and training and still there is so much beyond our control, like the weather, how well we slept the night before, the lines at the port-a-pottys and so on. I'm training for my 20th and I look back on my "good" races and "bad" races with equal fondness, as they all teach me something about the marathon itself and about myself. Enjoy the recovery process as a time to heal and take a break from the pressure. Catch up on your sleep and your friends as you plan what you might do differently next time. Remember, you are just getting started!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    honestly over the years i've come to realize that just finishing is my goal - every time i have tried to set a time goal and failed, i've ended up a funk. signing up for another race always seems to help me
  • MamaKL5
    MamaKL5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The fact that you finished a marathon is amazing to me! I'm in awe of people who run marathons, whatever the time is.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I think you’re some kinda superhero just for having done it. Knowing that you’ve only been at this for a year and a half? That’s kinda like if Michaelangelo’s 3rd completed work was the Sistine Chapel. But all of that isn’t what you feel. I think that the runners here are right: take what you can from it and set a new goal. Find a new race. Soak in a tub. Go to Paris. Wait, what were we talking about?
  • mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Dude, you ran a freaking MARATHON! That rocks! I know we all set goals for ourselves and are disappointed when we don't meet them, but that's on helluva achievement. I wish I could do that.
  • GregInORL
    GregInORL Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Congrats on joining the marathoner club. I've found putting something on the calendar keeps the motivation going for me. I've seen other runners take time off to prevent burnout. Ride a bike, swim, pick up a sport, and come back to it when it makes you happy.