Do pumpkins help me lose weight or gain weight?

Options
These days my GERD is getting worse so I ate some steamed pumpkins and they are soooo yummy,plus they are stomach-friendly. (Just look at my diary) however it has STARCH and SUGAR in it... will I get fat if I kept on eating it?
I searched online and some said it is a weight gain food some said weight loss >< I am confused!!!!!

Replies

• texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your pumpkin and maintain your deficit--it's as simple as that!! I love pumpkin too!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Was this frozen pumpkin? I'm assuming fresh pumpkins are out of season. Just asking because I really like pumpkin, and was wondering where you found them.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    If you hold onto a pumpkin and get on a scale you will gain a pumpkin's worth of weight! :wink:

I wish I could find affordable (and easy, by my standards, to "use" pumpkins around here!)

Pumpkins, just like zucchini and various types of squash, tend to be a high bulk, high fiber, low calorie and relatively "filling" for the calories type of foods for me.

I've loved eating them in both sweet and savoury formats when trying to "bulk" up my food while cutting down on calories. And would do so again if I could easily find them at less than the obscene canned pumpkin prices!!!

My previous dog also quite enjoyed his "bulked up with pumpkin" food when he got a bit slower with age!

Dang it! I was gonna say that!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    loralenoxx wrote: »
    My nutritionist said as long as you wash it down with a quart of apple cider vinegar, you can eat pumpkins to your hearts content. Just make sure it's gluten free pumpkin, and never after 7. As pumpkin calories will be converted to fat.

This is why you don't go to nutritionists, kids. Unless you live in a country where they're licensed like dieticians.

I'm reasonably sure that post was joking, but then they didn't use an emoji so you never can tell :wink:

Sad thing is, there are some nutritionists out there who'd actually tell someone something like this in all seriousness.
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have eaten pumpkin in my oatmeal everyday for the past 3-4 years. I stay within my calories most days, so it hasn't affected my weight at all.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin fits in with volume diets and most low carb diets. I’d say eating lots is fine, especially if it’s helping your GERD

My GERD is influenced a little more by stress levels than by food, but something I do that both helps me lose/maintain weight and keep my GERD under control, is to eat more food earlier in the day. It makes a difference to have an emptier stomach before I lie down at night. It is accidental IF as well (although backwards to how everyone else seems to do it). I have veggies with my egg for breakfast and veggies with a protein for lunch, usually a healthy snack in the afternoon (although not always), and that’s it.

Best of luck with both your weight loss endeavours and your GERD.
  • MaintainInTheMembrane
    MaintainInTheMembrane Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I echo the sentiments about the importance of eating in a deficit.

However: pumpkins are a fantastic food. For starters, if it’s getting you to eat more vegetables, that’s always something to encourage.

Pumpkins have lots of vitamin A, and are a good source of fibre. Yes, they have some carbs. We need to eat carbs! Carbs are not the devil.

But most importantly, again: to lose weight, eat within a calorie deficit.