My spouse sabotages my good eating habits!

Options

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Lol 😆 she really pouts like my 2yr old? My 2yr olds are sabotaging 🤴 King. He refuses food or eats but wants pizza. Pizza 🍕 he says to his Dad sad eyes 👀 blazing ...I wanna pizza (over exaggerates his sighs* ) lol next thing I know I get have you fed the baby? Well of course I did this isn’t a 🌵 desert 🐫 the boys as tall as a 6yr old he can open the pantry grab something if I tried lol. Next thing I know I’m told to order the baby pizza 🍕. Lol he’s lucky his parents are old my Adult Daughter laughs says you never let me get away with that. She says I’m treating him like a grandkids lol. But I skipped the pizza 🍕 when I can or change up my diet for the day to match 1 slice only a day to none. It’s funny to hear a grown woman trying that. You need to try what I do with cooking for the hubby (Kid Is a whole other battle lol) .I cook 1 portion in 1 skillet 🍳 another portion in another totally different meals.I serve his up on his plate from his pan. Then serve my healthy one from my pan to my plate. I Tupperware any extra.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be harsh but... she's a grown woman. The one responsible for her negative feelings and insecurity is her and her alone. Just as she isn't responsible for your food choices, you are not responsible for her emotions. You can support and love her, but you can't feel her feelings for her or fix her problems.

She needs to address her issues herself. You should be encouraging therapy.
  • noah49822
    noah49822 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be harsh but... she's a grown woman. The one responsible for her negative feelings and insecurity is her and her alone. Just as she isn't responsible for your food choices, you are not responsible for her emotions. You can support and love her, but you can't feel her feelings for her or fix her problems.

She needs to address her issues herself. You should be encouraging therapy.

I wish it was that easy
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Just get 2 seperate meals cooking your now granola bars to spinach juice 🥤 she’s still burger y 🍟 fries. She’s not going to make that huge of a leap all at once she hasn’t made your choice yet. When she does maybe it a ease into it
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    noah49822 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear that. My husband does that to me. He says he wants me to lose weight, but as soon as I get serious and stick to my journaling he wants to stuff me with food. He then starts this "Well if you don't eat any, I won't either" thing and starts pouting.

That is exactly what i have been experiencing.... that pout when there is not any good food on the table. Then I feel guilty and end up cooking something or worse ordering something that i know she likes.

Bummer. Maybe ask her to cook with you if there something she wants that you don’t need. Then she can’t complain because she had a chance to contribute.
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    can you give examples of what you're putting on the table for the two of you to have?
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am really curious about the types of food that are being eaten and cooked in your home. For example, what would you consider a good, healthy, normal dinner VS. what does your wife consider "a good meal"?

I know this is nosy of me to ask -- but I'm just perplexed many times by things along these lines.

Isn't there some kind of happy compromise that can be reached? Like, you both eat chicken, but you have a salad or veggies with it and she has mashed potatoes & gravy with it? A pizza night when you get thin crust with one meat & veggie for toppings and she has the deep dish with everything? Sub sandwiches with a cookie & chips for her and carrot sticks and fruit for you?
    [snip]
    Hoping you two can reach some sort of compromise when it comes to meals. I think it's good that you're not expecting her to eat healthy 100% of the time or join the weight loss bandwagon simply because you are. If she can't grasp that, it's her problem.

^^ This. I think this is the best answer yet. Quoting it in hopes you'll see it OP!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    No one has to live in our body. It is the only thing on the face of the earth that you have control over in this particular situation. Let freedom ring. Lead by example and don't give in.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    noah49822 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear that. My husband does that to me. He says he wants me to lose weight, but as soon as I get serious and stick to my journaling he wants to stuff me with food. He then starts this "Well if you don't eat any, I won't either" thing and starts pouting.

That is exactly what i have been experiencing.... that pout when there is not any good food on the table. Then I feel guilty and end up cooking something or worse ordering something that i know she likes.

When you say "not any good food on the table" what kind of food are you cooking. Only there are plenty of ways to make great food that is healthy and low calorie that she could enjoy. Even burgers and fries or pizza can be made at home and to fit your health goals.

What would a normal menu look like for you?

You say you are apart most of the week so you have both got used to eating exactly what you want in the way you want. Habits are hard to break so when the weekend comes you are both clashing on your food choices.

My worry is that she is feeling really guilty that she is not making the same efforts you are. This could be because she percieves your eating healthier as a dig at her to do the same. It is a very difficult situation but if you talk it over and re-assure her that her food choices are hers to make and you are not judging her about them, perhaps you can compromise a bit on the weekends and find healthy but tasty choices that you both enjoy.

I don't see this as an either food is good or food is bad situation but one where you can both share ideas for recipes that you can both enjoy with out any attached guilt.
  • Lenpayasa
    Lenpayasa Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I so know how you feel. My husband is the same way. I was doing so well then he started going to the grocery store on a daily basis for stuff that was not on my eating plan. The first time I went on a diet, he bought a deep fryer. So now although he is the cook for the entire family, I just make my own food and put in containers for dinner time.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    my husband and i were in different places when i started losing weight. he was trying to bulk a bit.
    so i made the protien kinda healthy. he got lots of breads or pasta and butter or sauce. i got more veggies... he got what he wanted. i got what i needed.
    we were also in different places emotionally. i did what i could for him. he tried with me.
    ultimately, i was in charge of what was in my mouth but i found a compromise. even if the other person tried to manipulate or whined.
  • GreyKnight120
    GreyKnight120 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Man, I identified with your posts pretty strongly here! Sometimes I feel like there should be a support group! It's tough sometimes to let go of that control and focus on the areas where you can enact change, but making the healthy choices for yourself is what's going to keep you going. Maybe your success will serve as an example. I keep hoping for that, in my own case.

While it may not be 100% encouraging, my wife and I have found some common ground through communication. When she cooks (we split the chore about 50/50) it used to be a lot of foods I was specifically trying to avoid, often casseroles and such where everything was mixed together. We've learned to make some new dishes where components aren't as integrated so I don't have to have as much starch and can double up on veggies or meat. Same meal, different breakdown. But it works for us! And on those occasions where there is going to be something integrated or heavy on calories, I just try to plan my exercise accordingly that day and the day after in order to try to compensate.

There are also still times where she'll get me in moments of weakness where I feel what I can only describe as "willpower fatigue" and the planned grilled chicken over salad ends up morphing into a take-out pizza order. I'd be lying if I didn't say that pendulum hasn't swung the other way a few times as well, though not nearly as often. There are always going to be times where discipline falters for whatever reason (tired, hungry, lazy, don't feel like X, craving Y, etc.) and it's really a boon when you have that partner in your corner backing you up, and vice versa.

So I get it. It can be really tough, but I wish you both well!