Is this routine OK for weight loss and tone?

Options
Hi and hello everyone :)

I'm new to myfitnesspal and the whole health & fitness scene pretty much much entire life.

At the age of 29 and 239 pounds, I wanted to finally start changing these bad habits I've had my entire life and decided to challenge myself to a new lifestyle and routine.

Anyhoo, I've been limiting myself to 1400 net calories a day after workouts and doing 5 days a week Monday-Friday with two days off of rest.

So far I've kept it up, and just starting my second week, with the below routine.

Monday - Rowing Machine + Abs
Tuesday - Exercise Bike
Wednesday - Treadmill
Thursday - Exercise Bike
Friday - Rowing Machine + Abs
1h a day, and 15 additional minutes with Ab exercises.

I chose these exercises as I own the equipment which has sat dusty in my home for some time.

I'm sore, tired, achy all over but I'm definitely feeling better already :)

My questions though, as somebody who has little knowledge of working out is this routine acceptable if I can maintain it?

And also, do I need to fear to bulk up to much?

I'd like to get toned, but not really build a giant upper body. Definitely not trying to turn into She-Hulk as cute as she is. :)

Should I consider changing this in any way if my goal is weight loss, and wanting to move to the 140 pounds range while toning up?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• CheekyBreekyBecca
    CheekyBreekyBecca Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well thank you :) I'll look that exercise program up :)
  • CheekyBreekyBecca
    Options
    You are eating in a deficit and not lifting weights. So no, you will not bulk.

Well that's good to hear :) thank you. But does the rowing machine not count as something similar to lifting weights?
    Again i'm far from even a novice at exercise but I was reading about what muscles are targeted.

I was just worried that because I'm doing it twice a week and for an hour I might bulk up or something.

https://www.rowingmachineking.com/what-does-a-rowing-machine-do-for-your-body/
  • CheekyBreekyBecca
    Options
    Oh ok! :) awesome well thank you. That helps me understand better.
  • CheekyBreekyBecca
    Options
    Thank you :) I don't own that model, I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017HSNIEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it was articles like the above which made me pick a rowing machine to learn and use. Figured it would be a good way to get a good full workout with one machine.

Ah well :) I appreciate it though! I've been working hard with it and definitely feel it all over! I'll just keep working at it and improving. Makes me happy to hear I won't be gaining a giant physique from using it though. I was worried that an hour and two separate days in the week with the machine was too much for my goals of just weight loss and shaping up a bit.

Was considering just doing 4 days of cardio and one day with the rowing machine. But perhaps I'll leave it as is :)
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Id honestly think about doing "some" resistance training too. You actually do want to retain muscle mass. Providing some stimulus to the muscles as you lose weight helps prevent further muscle atrophy (loss)

You wont "bulk up" you'll simply retain or maybe gain a small amount if you've never lifted before.

Think of weight loss like a trifecta. You need all three to be healthy , cardio, resistance training, and #1 diet
  • CheekyBreekyBecca
    Options
    Thanks, I'll definitely think about it: x Im scared of lifting weights as I've never done it.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Have a go - weights are fine. I only started a year or so ago. Its really hard for women to build much muscle, so it won't happen accidentally overnight!
  • CheekyBreekyBecca
    Options
    Thank you :) I guess my lack of knowledge in the area was creating a fear for no reason. I'll look into it :)