Question for people who menstruate

Options
Do you take measurements during PMS or your actual cycle? Should I wait until after?

Replies

• sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. For many years I avoided the scale during my cycle, but I have found its helpful for me to weigh every day even during that time. I swell and bloat at other times of the month than my period, but I always swell and bloat during my period. So, one of the most helpful things for me to learn is being able to recognize the way my body feels and the way the scale moves (or doesn't move) depending on if I am holding water and bloating, or if i've actually gained weight.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My scale isn't really affected by my cycles but I get really visually bloated around mid-cycle so I never take measurements or progress photos at that time.

Track if you want, or skip them if you find they are throwing your numbers way off.
  • Ldenzel
    Ldenzel Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I always start retaining water around ovulation and hold onto until I start my period. I weigh everyday and look at my trending weight so it doesn't really bother me when I go up a few pounds. I know that my weight will go back down around Day 2 of my period.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I always do, since I like to see the fluctuations, it adds knowledge. For me the high is usually the week before and then I start losing the week of and after.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    just makes me feel fat and mopey so I don't. Although I weighed myself yesterday and it told me I'm not as fat as I think I am but still it messes with my brain too much so I avoid that during my time of the month
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I do weigh and measure, but I ignore the weight as well as chest measurements...I can usually still get some consistency in my other measurements, but when the water weight gain is high, then my waist will be up a bit too...my chest seems to be where most of the water weight goes, but probably everyone is a bit different.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I generally do not. However, I do once in a while to observe how my fluid retention affects my body weight. Weight is not a static number, and it doesn't mean I'm "gaining weight" exactly. It just means I'm a mensturating woman.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I actually schedule my weigh-ins around my periods (I usually weigh-in 4-5 days after my cycle has started) to avoid fluctuation due to that, haha.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. If I suddenly go up a couple lbs and know my period's started or about to, I don't worry about it. I usually won't bother entering my weight in my tracker until after my period, unless I don't have a fluctuation which has happened on occasion.
  • SuperstarSparkle
    SuperstarSparkle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I can't recall the last time I weighed myself. However I've noted that when I INCREASE my water intake during my cycle, I bloat less.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    yes. I weigh every day. It doesn't bother me to see the number go up because I know why.
  • eccentricplaza
    eccentricplaza Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I can't recall the last time I weighed myself. However I've noted that when I INCREASE my water intake during my cycle, I bloat less.

I’d have to agree, although I’ve been on the pill in recent years, but weighing while mixing up activity levels and water levels could reveal what helps to mitigate it.

But since the pill I’ll measure myself because I honestly don’t bloat anymore

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I gain a couple of lbs during my ovulation and around 5 lbs during my period. I weigh almost every day and use the trend. I'd look 5 months pregnant if I took progress pics during my period
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Due to my fibroids, my abdominal measurement can increase 3" when I ovulate and they "blow up".