am I planning to do too much??

Options
So i'm off on holiday on Saturday to the Lake District (I know! i've been rubbing this in a bit as most of my posts have started with "so i'm off to the Lakes" of late! but i'm excited!!!!) and I am fully aware that I will be burning an obscene amount of calories during climbs and walks. However, I am also smuggling Jilliam Michaels into my suitcase in the form of her 30DS DVD, my HRM is coming with me to and my running shoes (as I've recently started C25K).

My question is.... do you think i'm taking on too much?

I want to start the day off with 30DS, before we go for a walk/climb (which will be most days) and then an early evening run to continue with the C25K training.

I will be trying to consume as many calories that are needed in order to cope with it all (healthy choices I might add as we're taking a large amount of veg that we have grown on our allotment) but do you think it's worth it? I'd quite like to see how much I can fit in in my week off but I don't want to damage myself, having not really done THIS amount of exercise before (as work gets in the way!) . Has anyone else had big ideas for exercising whilst on holiday - if so, did you succeed? or did you fail at the first hurdle?

.... personally I think i am mad but I knew this already!

Replies

• Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    That sounds like an awful lot to do during a holiday!

I'd drop the shred, wear the HRM during the climbs and hikes-- then see how you feel in the evening. You might have the energy for a short run.

Just my opinion though : )
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    I agree, forget the DVD!

The fresh air and training outdoors will be a bigger boost to your fitness than you realise, and your body will thank you for the change in routine!

If you have enough energy for a run after your walk then try a bigger hill, there are loads to choose from :o)

Oh, and if you get the chance, try the Via Ferrata at the Honister Slate Mine, it's great fun if you haven't done anything like that before.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    That sounds like an awful lot to do during a holiday!

I'd drop the shred, wear the HRM during the climbs and hikes-- then see how you feel in the evening. You might have the energy for a short run.

Just my opinion though : )

I agree with this!! Vacation should be fun and relaxing!!! Not tiring.
  • jennyocox
    jennyocox Posts: 143
    Options
    I think try it for the first couple of days and see how you get on. Reduce it if it's negatively impacting your holiday. Otherwise, I think good on you for have an aim, or two, or three! :happy:
  • rgsmi
    rgsmi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be doing a lot of hiking and outdoor fun, I'd also ditch the DVD.

I was camping recently, and just my for-fun 9 mile hikes around the lake were causing me to burn 1500 calories per day (more by the HRM, which I did bring along and used the first time, to get a baseline.)

Once I knew that, I stopped wearing it and stopped worrying about trying to do anything else related to health--and had a great time.