Need food ideas and support for when no appetite.

Options
Hello- I have recently had a ton of anxiety and a complete drop in my appetite. I am in eating disorder recovery. I gained over 100lbs due to an adrenal tumor about 4 years ago and have lost 80lbs without going back to eating disorder behaviors.

I struggle though- with anxiety and appetite. I see a therapist and nutritionist and am working on it but I'm just having a super hard time finding foods that dont feel like too much effort to prepare or even chew! (Likely a symptom of depression. I know I'm a mess but I'm working on it).

Anyone been through something similar where they are trying to lose weight healthily but have no appetite? I'm losing more than I want at this point and not feeling well. Any advice is appreciated.

When I can manage I'm eating smoothies for breakfast (protein powder, water, blueberries, greens, ice, banana or avocado).. lunch is usually a bone broth.
Dinner is easier usually and I have a balanced meal. Breakfast and lunch are most difficult. Literally no appetite.
Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Hi hun. Maybe it’s a side effect of a Med or something? “Anorexia” can be loss of appetite not always the ED people think of; so if you look up your meds and maybe see if that’s a side effect. Or better yet talk to your medical professionals sounds like you have a couple good ones already.

I think meal prepping might be a good option for you. I try to do it sometimes and works well for me. Best thing is, you can try it and if you don’t like it then don’t do it again.

But It sounds like you have already had success and just need to maintain/keep going. Sometimes in my journey if I start to get tired of the whole thing, I eat more at my maintenance level for a little while. Hey not gaining is the goal. Hang in there 💜💜
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Would regular snacking be easier than trying to eat a full 'meal'? For example, instead of trying to force yourself to eat a whole sandwich at lunchtime, might it be easier to have a bowl of trail mix or similar sitting next to you and just pick at it all day?

(I mention trail mix specifically because nuts, seeds and dried fruit are both calorie-dense and full of nutrients, so you wouldn't have to eat very much in order to up your calories and get important vitamins and minerals)
  • liaoverbrook
    liaoverbrook Posts: 108 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    linsey0689 wrote: »
    Hi hun. Maybe it’s a side effect of a Med or something? “Anorexia” can be loss of appetite not always the ED people think of; so if you look up your meds and maybe see if that’s a side effect. Or better yet talk to your medical professionals sounds like you have a couple good ones already.

I think meal prepping might be a good option for you. I try to do it sometimes and works well for me. Best thing is, you can try it and if you don’t like it then don’t do it again.

But It sounds like you have already had success and just need to maintain/keep going. Sometimes in my journey if I start to get tired of the whole thing, I eat more at my maintenance level for a little while. Hey not gaining is the goal. Hang in there 💜💜

Anorexia is an eating disorder, loss of appetite is an entirely different thing, unless im misunderstanding what you meant :)
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    linsey0689 wrote: »

Anorexia is an eating disorder, loss of appetite is an entirely different thing, unless im misunderstanding what you meant :)

In the medical community Anorexia nervosa is the eating disorder. Which isn’t loss of appetite but avoiding food to prevent gaining weight.

Where anorexia is loss of appetite and is different. You will see some medications have a side effect of anorexia which mean they cause loss of appetite not for you to have the eating disorder.

Sorry to cause any confusion.