WWYD: Grocery Store Edition

noelr56
noelr56 Posts: 107 Member
Hey y'all,

I was running errands and - you guessed it- I hit the grocery store RIGHT at lunch time! I was so hungry- so, question is: what would you do? power through and hope it doesn't effect what you put in the cart? or have a snack?

I chose to buy a turkey jerky stick and eat it prior to completing my shopping trip but would be interested to hear what others think!

Replies

• aemmons81
    aemmons81 Posts: 9 Member
    I would buy a snack. I try to make sure to not grocery shop when hungry because I might be too tempted to buy things I wouldn't normally buy! I do shop with a list and try to stick with it, but I think if I was overly hungry, it'd be harder to stick with it.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I have a planned time for grocery shopping - Saturday right after dinner, so I'm always full. Like others said, I also shop with a list and do my best to stick to it. Doesn't always work. SALES.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I make a menu for the week, then a list for the store(s) that I need stuff from, I don't even understand how people know what they need to buy without a list.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Shop by objectiveness/by the #s/macros (usually the same stuff) over emotions/feelings
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Go with a list, remind myself that there are better uses for my money than an unplanned and unneeded snack, potentially try to avoid the areas that have what I want to snack on.

But really my primary answer is go with a list and don't deviate from said list.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,793 Member
    I'd get a snack because cookies make their way in when I shop hungry
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Like others, I make a grocery list, and I check nutrition labels and ingredients on everything I put in my cart regardless of when I'm shopping. If I really want to get in and out quickly, I just go directly to the items on my list and don't wander around other parts of the store. If I don't see it, I can't buy it.

If you sometimes forget lunch or don't have time to eat, I would recommend keeping things like protein bars or other snacks in your car/bag.
  • RachellaJ
    RachellaJ Posts: 58 Member
    I might just get lunch at the store before shopping; either salad bar, or sushi depending on what store. If I wanted a snack, I might get some nuts from the bulk bin (and weigh out what I want to eat right then and there), or a string cheese. I wouldn’t let it derail me.
  • cherrybomb526
    cherrybomb526 Posts: 13 Member
    If it was lunch time and my financial budget had room for eating out, I would probably get lunch at the store, eat, then shop (it has picnic tables out front). Maybe a salad from the salad bar, sushi, or a yogurt/skyr and some fruit and meat, something like that. If my plan was to eat at home immediately after, I would probably power through. In those moments I like to make it a game of “how fast can I get out of here”! Keeps me distracted. If I’m feeling weak, I might skip non-essentials in the middle aisles (say tortilla chips we need for entertaining next week) to avoid feeling so uncomfortable. Often I’ll buy myself a big seltzer as a treat, and that does the job for me!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    I usually shop with my mother after one of our weekly 5 mile walks so we get lunch first. I bring a list but its only the things i dont get every week that i might forget. Things like yogurt and eggs i dont bother.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    If I'm really hungry when I'm shopping, I tend to grab something I like that also doesn't break the calorie bank -- a cottage cheese double with fruit, a banana, a yogurt, turkey jerky, etc. If I give into something more calorie dense, I just log it and make adjustments for later meals.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I'm not the wisest grocery shopper regardless of my hunger, so the deciding factor would be: do I have something delicious planned to wait for, or do I feel like buying a sandwich or something. After that, I would do my shopping, buy a whole bunch of stuff that I don't need, then spend the next few weeks thinking how to use them so they don't go waste. That's why I let others do the shopping and only do it myself if I'm out for one specific item.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I order my groceries from the store online and go pick them up once a week after I have had lunch. Otherwise I have a grocery list and stick to it closely. I'm not going to throw random cookies in my cart just because I missed lunch.

If you did not have lunch or a snack planned then picking up a food like jerky to eat seems like a decent idea.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I order my groceries from the store online and go pick them up once a week after I have had lunch.

Yep. That.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I order my groceries from the store online and go pick them up once a week after I have had lunch. Otherwise I have a grocery list and stick to it closely. I'm not going to throw random cookies in my cart just because I missed lunch.

If you did not have lunch or a snack planned then picking up a food like jerky to eat seems like a decent idea.

How do they do with fruits and vegetables? I'm pretty picky about what I pick up, which has been one of my barriers to ordering online. I suppose I could just order the stuff that doesn't matter then do vegetables myself...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

How do they do with fruits and vegetables? I'm pretty picky about what I pick up, which has been one of my barriers to ordering online. I suppose I could just order the stuff that doesn't matter then do vegetables myself...

I was worried about that, too. But for the most part, they seem to pick good stuff. It's worth it to me, even if I get a rock-hard avocado once in awhile.