When you don’t want to work out?

Sometimes I’m just not in the mood to work out or have major lack of energy.
What do you do when you have days like this? I think I need to switch up my workouts. Go on more hikes and spend more time doing active things outside!

Replies

• Trulyjooly
    Trulyjooly Posts: 9 Member
    I am laying in bed, having already woken up gone back to sleep. Wrestling with my laziness about doing yoga. You guys have motivated me! Thanks!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Skip it. It's pretty rare for me not to want to, and the want comes back the next day.

Lifting at the gym is different, that's on an explicit schedule and not done for joy.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    For me, having a routine is what keeps me engaged, as well as having something to work towards. I like to run, and the best motivation for me is signing up for a race. It's a lot harder for me to let myself off the hook if I know I paid money to go and run with a bunch of people in a few weeks. The trick mentioned above about giving yourself permission to quit after 10 minutes is a good one as well.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    ...this morning, I woke up before 4am with anxiety over general life stuff. Believe me, I did not want to have to get up at 5am for my 7.15am BodyPump class.

But I reminded myself that skipping it would only have given me an extra hour in bed, and I generally don't manage to get back to sleep anyway so I wouldn't really have gained anything by being 'lazy'. And lazy is how I would feel about that decision, so I'd feel bad about myself if I didn't go. And exercise tends to burn off my nervous energy and make me feel mentally better. And if I was in the area of the gym I could maybe pop to a cafe for a decent coffee afterwards. And if I really wasn't feeling it I could always use lighter weights and half-*kitten* the whole thing. And besides, I'd just got some new pointers on my squat form and wouldn't it be interesting to try them out?

...reader, I turned up to that class and KILLED IT. It just required an awful lot of talking myself into it :)

This speaks to me, exactly how I feel some morning. And I wrestle with the same choice of "i could get more sleep", knowing that the extra hour makes no true difference. And then I end up feeling guilty/anxious that I missed a workout that day.

Much like other people have stated, I get past the initial hump by starting anyway and telling myself that at 10 mins in if I'm still not feeling it I can stop. I have not yet stopped a workout midway.

Around the holiday season last year I found I was getting consistently grumpy about doing my exercise (workout videos when I wake up), so I switched up my routine. Starting in January I created myself an 8 week rotation that had NO repeats, to avoid boredom. I am also allowing myself to attempt some of the challenge routines presented by Jess Smith (my fave trainer), for even more variety.
  • sneufie6
    sneufie6 Posts: 1 Member
    When I'm feeling super low energy, unmotivated or my body hurts I do Living Room Laps. Literal laps around my living room, up and down the apartment hallways, and sometimes climbing the 5 flights of stairs in my building. I find commercial breaks are best for getting up and moving around. Definitely helps reach my step and stair goals!
  • !
    erickirb wrote: »
    I have never regretted the workout that got done!

Truer words never written.

But I have gotten into the habit of letting myself skip the last set or something like that if I feel tired.

But hey, when you've planned a 2 hour gym session and you leave after 1 hour 45 minutes, then that's quite alright.

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    I don’t recall ever being in the mood to workout, like ever. The weather is always gloomy and cold where I am it just drains my mood right out. I go anyways and once I start moving I’m more pumped and it helps that I have a workout buddy so we motivate each other.
    When it’s the time of the month when I feel
    lazy and drained I just put on something on Netflix and start using my resistant bands, nothing too crazy.
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    I watch "My 600 lb Life" on occasion even though I get super annoyed at the people making excuse, after excuse for their failures, so I remind myself when I start trying to talk myself out of going to the gym that those excuses are annoying AF and none of those excuses are really any good anyway!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    sneufie6 wrote: »
    When I'm feeling super low energy, unmotivated or my body hurts I do Living Room Laps. Literal laps around my living room, up and down the apartment hallways, and sometimes climbing the 5 flights of stairs in my building. I find commercial breaks are best for getting up and moving around. Definitely helps reach my step and stair goals!

Yes, when I was living in a place with more trees and was debilitated by my TOM I would go outside and pick up sticks.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    I'm just coming off a two week break. I had fun, ate a bit more than I should have, got rested up and don't even feel a little bit bad about it. What's also nice is the renewed sense of energy I have now. Moving on :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I watch "My 600 lb Life" on occasion even though I get super annoyed at the people making excuse, after excuse for their failures, so I remind myself when I start trying to talk myself out of going to the gym that those excuses are annoying AF and none of those excuses are really any good anyway!

Oh, yes, I find watching the "My 600 lb Life" patients' denial to be helpful spotting my own.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    I happily (a little guilty but happily) do nothing some days. I know im active i know im moving most the time i deserve to be lazy sometimes. I have however split my "happiness" up so its not entirely on exercise to make me feel like a healthy adult. Sometimes that means if i dont feel like the gym, I clean. Or go for a walk. Or get my nails done. I try to do something that makes me happy and keeps me feeling productive daily, Mostly either exercise, Work, Or house cleaning. I know I can pick between the 3 that is non optional. The extent i do them is optional, If i start and only do 10 minutes of whatever, Cool atleast i did it. Generally i will continue to do it and call it a win. Aslong as im productive lol.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    My workouts involve weight training. If I feel off for what ever reason, I still train.

There is simply too many pros not to and is better for my health and quality of life.