Sweet treats- how often?

Options
2»

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    As much as you enjoy eating without going over on calories or sacrificing your intake of protein, fiber, fat, vitamins and minerals.
    As long as you get enough of the other things you need in your diet and don't go over calories, it doesn't matter how much sugar you eat.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Whatever fits your calories.

Nutrition is very important so that should factor in overall as far as your entire diet goes. I don't worry about naturally occurring sugars at all like in fruits. I do try to limit the more processed stuff like candies and cakes, etc. A less nutritious snack or two a day won't matter as long the rest is good.

The whole sugar is the devil thing is the latest scare/fad. I do agree way too much sweetener is getting added to a lot of highly processed foods. For me it's taste. So many things only taste like sugar now and not really any other flavor. I also don't really get full on things like that so overeating is very easy to do.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I have a horrible sweet tooth so I usually indulge in something sweet every day, and I'm not talking about just fruit. I usually have either a Jello 60 calorie dark chocolate pudding or a few oz of dark chocolate each day. If you are talking about cookies and cake type desserts, maybe once every week or two. I have learned through counting calories to not waste my calories. It has to be a really special occasion or something totally amazing to get me to eat a dessert. I'm not going to spend my calories on just any old daily dessert or cookies.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I embrace my sweet tooth (within calorie goals)...but I try to limit it to once a day, whether it's something very indulgent (donut, slice of pie, whole chocolate bar) or less so (a couple large marshmallows, pudding cup, 2 small cookies with tea/coffee).

In the past, pre-MFP for me, I was in the habit of always wanting "something sweet" after every lunch & dinner meal. Growing up that was how we did things (yikes I know). That was my normal for decades. Even in my 20s/early 30s, I made long lists every weekend of the lunches, dinners, and corresponding desserts for each one. Now I usually have 1 "actual" dessert on the weekly menu since I still love to bake/prepare sweets...but it's not a daily thing to have a homemade full-fledged dessert anymore.