Impressions on the internet

Options
I was one of those girls that were always impressionable by women on the internet (Instagram, Facebook, etc) and I’ve always compared myself to them, and their bodies. I deleted all my social media because I hate that people always compare each other, it’s unhealthy. I wanted to post some pictures to show you what’s posted on the internet is photoshop and it’s not worth comparing yourself too. Be happy with yourself and stop comparing yourself.
3fzp98shz70g.jpeg
p8jo6382n7w8.jpeg
5vujpi58ja3g.jpeg
sxdusihst9gg.jpeg

Replies

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    I wasn’t allowed to have social media growing up so till this day I don’t even have Instagram and don’t watch celebs that hardcore. I was never influenced like that. I feel sad for young girls who do.

Kourtney and Kim kardashian were always pretty and attractive though even before fillers and surgery.

o88zijnboqyi.jpeg

That Tana girl I’m afraid was influenced and brainwashed by social media at one point too and now is doing the same damage for the next generation.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I was one of those girls that were always impressionable by women on the internet (Instagram, Facebook, etc) and I’ve always compared myself to them, and their bodies. I deleted all my social media because I hate that people always compare each other, it’s unhealthy. I wanted to post some pictures to show you what’s posted on the internet is photoshop and it’s not worth comparing yourself too. Be happy with yourself and stop comparing yourself.

I'd take it a step further. Even comparison to women (or men) who are not photoshopped is damaging in some cases. It's one thing to set goals based on someone you admire, quite another to beat yourself down mentally over how someone else looks, real or perceived.

My wife and I went through our youngest daughters own brand of hell over this with her. She's out the other side now thankfully, but after seeing that I can sure endorse this message. Be your own brand of beautiful. More people will recognize it than you know.
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I wasn’t allowed to have social media growing up so till this day I don’t even have Instagram and don’t watch celebs that hardcore. I was never influenced like that. I feel sad for young girls who do.

Kourtney and Kim kardashian were always pretty and attractive though even before fillers and surgery.

o88zijnboqyi.jpeg

That Tana girl I’m afraid was influenced and brainwashed by social media at one point too and now is doing the same damage for the next generation.

It honestly is so damaging! As a younger female I was definitely influenced by these kinds of pictures growing up. I put myself through hell trying to be like them. Starving myself, running everyday pushing myself daily. I’ve deleted all social media because it’s damaging and this stuff isn’t real! It’s all photoshopped!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Check out https://www.reddit.com/r/Instagramreality/ for a bunch more. Chasing that image is toxic and pointless.
  • vanityy99
    Options
    The Kardashian’s are queens of photoshop and plastic surgery!

Kylie Jenner had to change her whole being to be successful, she’s a culture vulture. Had to go from plain Jane and morph into a fraudulent exotic beauty.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    exxav79bl88n.jpeg
    uy4zby8cuwhr.jpeg
    x5o6jh47fmv1.jpeg
    8wxtivrtpe5d.jpeg
    cii8uope34dj.jpeg

Kylie Jenner had to change her whole being to be successful, she’s a culture vulture. Had to go from plain Jane and morph into a fraudulent exotic beauty.

• vanityy99
    Options
    exxav79bl88n.jpeg
    uy4zby8cuwhr.jpeg
    x5o6jh47fmv1.jpeg
    8wxtivrtpe5d.jpeg
    cii8uope34dj.jpeg

I cannot with her!
  • vanityy99
    Options
    ps6nzwnice17.jpeg

• rickiimarieee
    Options
    exxav79bl88n.jpeg
    uy4zby8cuwhr.jpeg
    x5o6jh47fmv1.jpeg
    8wxtivrtpe5d.jpeg
    cii8uope34dj.jpeg

I cannot with her!

Me neither I always hear and read how she’s beautiful and natural beauty and *kitten* I’m like do you realize just how much you edits herself or how many times she went under the knife
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »

I'd take it a step further. Even comparison to women (or men) who are not photoshopped is damaging in some cases. It's one thing to set goals based on someone you admire, quite another to beat yourself down mentally over how someone else looks, real or perceived.

My wife and I went through our youngest daughters own brand of hell over this with her. She's out the other side now thankfully, but after seeing that I can sure endorse this message. Be your own brand of beautiful. More people will recognize it than you know.

o88zijnboqyi.jpeg

It honestly is so damaging! As a younger female I was definitely influenced by these kinds of pictures growing up. I put myself through hell trying to be like them. Starving myself, running everyday pushing myself daily. I’ve deleted all social media because it’s damaging and this stuff isn’t real! It’s all photoshopped!

My daughter started out being teased relentlessley ....called shaming now I guess, and from that grew her obsession. The really sad part? And this isn't just Dad being biased, she's a natural beauty and just couldn't see it. I can't condemn the fraud that leads women and men to go down that road strongly enough.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    These days I'm jealous of plus size models. Because I can recognize them as beautiful but I can never do the same for myself.

I guess its just easier to accept other people.

You're looking in the wrong mirror. ;) There's a whole, 100% complete person in there that the image doesn't show.
  • vanityy99
    Options
    exxav79bl88n.jpeg
    uy4zby8cuwhr.jpeg
    x5o6jh47fmv1.jpeg
    8wxtivrtpe5d.jpeg
    cii8uope34dj.jpeg

I cannot with her!

Me neither I always hear and read how she’s beautiful and natural beauty and *kitten* I’m like do you realize just how much you edits herself or how many times she went under the knife

I have a younger cousin who’s influenced by Kylie’s look. She said people say she looks like Kylie Jenner meanwhile Kylie Jenner doesn’t even look like Kylie Jenner and in actuality Kylie looks like my cousin. Natural tanned skin, real curves no butt shots, real long thick long hair, natural full lips. Hello Kylie looks up to girls like her for beauty standards so why are these same people putting her on a pedestal.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Three cheers to the new heavyweight boxing champion, Andy Ruiz Jr., and the impact he’ll have on making everyone think about questionable body appearance.

nb3fzcldrhz3.jpeg

I'm not sure that makes any impact, tbh, because the internal anxiety about appearance for most people who experience it has little to do with fitness or achievement. See the kind of body shaming Katelyn Ohashi was on the receiving end of even though she's peak performing in her sport. Additionally, looking like these people and not performing the way they do literally disconnects the two.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    exxav79bl88n.jpeg
    uy4zby8cuwhr.jpeg
    x5o6jh47fmv1.jpeg
    8wxtivrtpe5d.jpeg
    cii8uope34dj.jpeg

I don't think the after pics after an improvement, they just don't look realistic.
  • Phirrgus
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Three cheers to the new heavyweight boxing champion, Andy Ruiz Jr., and the impact he’ll have on making everyone think about questionable body appearance.

nb3fzcldrhz3.jpeg

I'm not sure that makes any impact, tbh, because the internal anxiety about appearance for most people who experience it has little to do with fitness or achievement. See the kind of body shaming Katelyn Ohashi was on the receiving end of even though she's peak performing in her sport. Additionally, looking like these people and not performing the way they do literally disconnects the two.

Truth. If people aren't viewing appearance in the boxing/mma world differently after Eric Esch, they won't with Ruiz either. Entirely different discussion.